FC Worldtimer - Comparisons?
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: FC Worldtimer - Comparisons?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hello all. I am genuinely have FALLEN in love with the FC Worldtimer. I stopped by at an AD in New York and tried the blue one. It's nothing short of amazing and I was happen to wear a blue shirt that really complemented it.

I am wondering what are other brands worldtimer in the price range of $3k - $10k? The only one that I know are Nomos and Baume Mercier, but for those ones, I still prefer the FC. The FC is limited edition and has a great world map dial behind it. Also I like classic watch, so IWC Pilot's Worldtimer is not an option.

I would like to know if there are any other worldtimer watches that I should consider.

Also would love to hear opinions from FC Worldtimer owners to see how you guys finally purchased the watch. And in addition, want to make sure that there is a numbered of the limited edition on the case back? I tried finding it in the AD but I didn't think I saw it

Pic for thoughts:

imgur
    Last edited by bebeq_baka; December 15th, 2014 at 20:32.

Re: FC Worldtimer - Comparisons?

So I sent a question to Amazon's listing of this watch and got below reply:
    A seller answered your question, "Does this watch have the limited edition number inscription on the back?" about Frederique Constant Men's FC718WM4H6 World....
    Sharon answered:
    "This watch does not have a limited edition number engraved on the case-back."

I am now more confident to say that I didn't see the limited edition number on the back of the watch in New York AD. However, the Hodinkee watch review vividly show the limited edition number, number 126
    Hands-On With The Limited Edition Frederique Constant Worldtimer (Live Pics) — HODINKEE - Wristwatch News, Reviews, & Original Stories

Peter Stas, hope you are well and can response to my question.

JLC makes a beautiful Worldtimer. Here's a link to a used one here on WUS.

FSOT: Jaeger-LeCoultre Master World Geographic

The FC Worldtimer is a beautiful watch. I don't think you'd regret buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by bebeq_baka View Post
    So I sent a question to Amazon's listing of this watch and got below reply:
    A seller answered your question, "Does this watch have the limited edition number inscription on the back?" about Frederique Constant Men's FC718WM4H6 World....
    Sharon answered:
    "This watch does not have a limited edition number engraved on the case-back."

I am now more confident to say that I didn't see the limited edition number on the back of the watch in New York AD. However, the Hodinkee watch review vividly show the limited edition number, number 126
    Hands-On With The Limited Edition Frederique Constant Worldtimer (Live Pics) — HODINKEE - Wristwatch News, Reviews, & Original Stories

Peter Stas, hope you are well and can response to my question.
    The Reference No. in the Hodinkee review is a little different than the one you site. FC loves to make limited editions of different models and each limited edition has 1888 pieces. I have a limited edition Healy.

Thank you for your reply.

The JLC is quite too busy in my opinion and the RDM is not really a needed complication there.

Back to FC:

So the one in Hodinkee has FC718X4H6, which is nowhere to be found in the FC website.
    However, I realized the picture is actually a stock photo taken from the bottom page of each of the reference individual page in FC website.

There are 6 references of this watch on the FC website:

FC-718MC4H6B : SS Bracelet classic dial
    FC-718WM4H6B : SS Bracelet world map
    FC-718MC4H4 : RGP black leather classic dial
    FC-718MC4H6 : SS black leather classic dial - I believe this is 1,888 limited edition
    FC-718WM4H4 : RGP brown leather world map
    FC-718WM4H6 : SS blue leather world map - I believe this is 1,888 limited edition

Would be great if FC Worldtimer owner on the above references can confirm if you have limited edition number on the case back?

And question for FC, do you produce two references for the same watch: FC-718X4H6 for the SS blue leather world map limited edition and then FC-718WM4H6 for the same watch but without the limited edition number?

KAW

I don't think this is true. FC typically puts a more universal reference on its watch cases when they are used with multiple dial and finish variations. E.g. the reference on my FC-710MC4H4 case is FC-710X4H4/5/6. The X is just a placeholder for the dial variations and the final number identifies the finish - I think 4 is gold plated and 6 is SS but I could be mistaken. For the Worldtimer the X simply replaces the MC or WM used to identify the classic or map dials. I would have expected to see 4/5/6 again for the Worldtimer but perhaps they use the actual case finish on that model - I've yet to see one in the flesh.

I think you're right and I agree that the X would be the placeholder. My slimline moonphase RGP is FC-705X4S4/5/6 on the case back.

I guess my end question would be is there a limited edition number on the limited edition version of the worldtimer? And if so, what would be the exact reference for it?

When I look the one in New York AD, the sales associate was quite surprised too that the blue leather one was actually a limited edition. But then we couldn't find anything that shows it is a limited edition on the watch itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bebeq_baka; December 16th, 2014 at 04:48.

KAW

AFAIK all the Worldtimer versions are limited but I remember reading somewhere that there is a limited edition plate/certificate provided in the watch box instead of numbering on the case. It could be some versions have a limited edition no. on the case as well such as in the image you linked to although the image could also be of a prototype rather than a production model.

From what I recall in the dealer catalog, the bracelet models are not limited edition. I might be wrong here, please correct me if I do.

I heard about the box and plate too but I do never heard about the number on the case.

Would love to have some clarification from the company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bebeq_baka; December 16th, 2014 at 05:48.

KAW

You might get a quicker response about the limited edition status of the different FC-718 models by contacting them directly.

Regarding other world-time watches, WatchTime recently published a short article about world-time models under $5000 here.

Bremont also have a world-time model in the price range quoted but as with the IWC, the aviation influence may not appeal to you.

Christopher Ward have a model they call the C900 Worldtimer but it's actually a dual timezone watch rather than a world-time watch. It does have a map dial though, which shows the geographical location of the selected timezone.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information