WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Frederique Constant Classics Manufacture

46K views 52 replies 37 participants last post by  Time_Flies_UK 
#1 · (Edited)
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Frederique Constant has been developing and producing its in-house Manufacture Calibers since 2001. The first caliber was the Heart
Beat Manufacture, cal. FC-910 with its iconic aperture in the dial and main plate at 6 o'clock position. Newer versions of the Heart Beat
Manufacture included various complications, a silicium (silicon) escapement wheel, and even an in-house Tourbillon.

Development of the second base caliber by Frederique Constant started in 2008. The design and development briefing for this second
base caliber was very straight forward: redevelop all components and search to reduce cost of manufacturing with 30%, while at least
maintaining the same high quality level of the Heart Beat Manufacture calibers. As a result, the Maxime Manufacture (cal. FC-700) was
born. Frederique Constant realized significant economies of scale with this caliber. In line with our Accessible Luxury philosophy, these
cost-savings were transferred to the final consumer, by offering these Frederique Constant Manufacture timepieces at unbeatable retail
prices.

Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory Brand
Watch Auto part Wheel Automotive wheel system Spoke

This year, Frederique Constant is proud and excited to introduce the new Classics Manufacture, with a retail price starting at €1'750 in
stainless steel. Designed and produced with utmost care, the sophisticated dial shows a remarkable refinement. Decoration of the movement
is to the highest standards, with Cotes de Geneve and Collimacon patterns, brightly shining due to the rhodium finishing. The new Classics
Manufacture is based on the second generation of the Maxime movement, cal. FC-710 and features an added center seconds hand. Apart
from stainless steel, the Classics Manufacture is also available with a case finished in rose gold plating, at €1'950. A duo of stunningly beautiful
timepieces!

History Frederique Constant Manufacture Calibers

In 2001, Frederique Constant launched the development of its first manufacture caliber in close collaboration with the École d'Horlogerie de
Genève, the École d'Ingenieurs de Genève and the Horloge Vakschool Zadkine, Netherlands. The Heart Beat Manufacture has the characteristic
bridge for the balance wheel on the front side of the caliber, which made it possible to have the spiral and fine regulation on the front side as
well, creating a much more appealing Heart Beat design. This construction was new - allowing Frederique Constant to obtain a patent.

In 2008, Frederique Constant introduced its first Tourbillon Manufacture movement with Silicium (Silicon) Escapement Wheel. There are three
main advantages compared to a regular escapement wheel:

- No oiling necessary
- Ultra smooth surface
- Weight 1/5th of steel

As a result, the Frederique Constant Tourbillon has an amplitude of over 300 degrees in dial-up and dial-down positions. Even in the crown-down
position, the amplitude is over 275 degrees, which is substantially more than the performance of other high-end tourbillons.

In 2009, Frederique Constant launched a new in-house base caliber (FC-700). Component rationalization and assembly efficiency were the top
priorities for the development of this caliber. Result was an overall 30% cost saving compared with the earlier Heart Beat Manufacture caliber.
Various new technologies were incorporated. For the first time, a Swiss watch manufacturer introduced a watch with a manufacture caliber below
€2'000 retail.

Frederique Constant Factory

The Frederique Constant production facility in Geneva measures 3'200 square meters, divided over four floors, offering an attractive working
environment in the sectors of caliber component production, caliber assembly, watch assembly, and extensive quality control. Numerically
controlled machines of the latest generation are located in a large atelier in the basement, where all component manufacturing is concentrated.
Caliber and watch assembly, as well as state-of-the-art quality control is primarily organized on the first floor of the Frederique Constant building.
The building also serves as the brand's international headquarters.

Related link: Frédérique Constant | The Brand

See less See more
#32 ·
First Post! Woot

Anyways, long time lurker on this site. I just started my collection and one of my crown jewels is my FC330S6B6 with silver dial. Love this watch. Every time I wear it I find myself staring at it and admiring. From the smooth sweep of the second hand to the moon phase complication. Just a beautiful watch.

#33 ·
Spectacular watch! I got my wife a FC and she loves it!

#34 ·
Love my FC Classic Moonphase! Great work FC!

Reactions: DutchMongolian
#38 ·
While I do really think that his is a stunning watch, I also think that FC, much like Maurice Lacroix almost cannibalize their own brand. They both make some stunning watches with in-house movements on one end that can retail up to $15k and then there are quartz $300 on the other end. I wish they could parse out the lower end stuff to maintain integrity of their higher end pieces. Having said that, at their higher end price they start competing with some of the big brands and that can be tough.

#39 ·
Maurice Lacroix in-house movement isn't really 'in-house' the base is an ETA which they modified to my understanding. Moreover, their other in-house movement is just an old movement from long ago and they told the original creator to make modifications to that exact movement, so as for their 'in-house' it isn't true in-house like Frederique Constant where it was designed from the ground up. The only true in-house Marurice Lacroix movements are the ML-2XX series which retail for $10k+ unlike Frederique Constant. As for the pricing Frederique Constant actually have 'value' in their watch, that $15,000 watch is solid gold, their offering makes sense for an amazing price. If that $15,000 watch was stainless steel I'd agree with you, but it isn't.

#51 ·
I really love my Freddy Flyback. Just can't say enough good things about it.
About the only in house flyback around for less than the price of a new car.
They had a good plan with the modular in-house movement. Add chronograph, moon phase, power reserve, etc to their existing decorated movement.
Watch Analog watch Gesture Clock Watch accessory