WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Frederique Constant Classics Manufacture

46K views 52 replies 37 participants last post by  Time_Flies_UK 
#1 · (Edited)
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Frederique Constant has been developing and producing its in-house Manufacture Calibers since 2001. The first caliber was the Heart
Beat Manufacture, cal. FC-910 with its iconic aperture in the dial and main plate at 6 o'clock position. Newer versions of the Heart Beat
Manufacture included various complications, a silicium (silicon) escapement wheel, and even an in-house Tourbillon.

Development of the second base caliber by Frederique Constant started in 2008. The design and development briefing for this second
base caliber was very straight forward: redevelop all components and search to reduce cost of manufacturing with 30%, while at least
maintaining the same high quality level of the Heart Beat Manufacture calibers. As a result, the Maxime Manufacture (cal. FC-700) was
born. Frederique Constant realized significant economies of scale with this caliber. In line with our Accessible Luxury philosophy, these
cost-savings were transferred to the final consumer, by offering these Frederique Constant Manufacture timepieces at unbeatable retail
prices.

Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory Brand
Watch Auto part Wheel Automotive wheel system Spoke

This year, Frederique Constant is proud and excited to introduce the new Classics Manufacture, with a retail price starting at €1'750 in
stainless steel. Designed and produced with utmost care, the sophisticated dial shows a remarkable refinement. Decoration of the movement
is to the highest standards, with Cotes de Geneve and Collimacon patterns, brightly shining due to the rhodium finishing. The new Classics
Manufacture is based on the second generation of the Maxime movement, cal. FC-710 and features an added center seconds hand. Apart
from stainless steel, the Classics Manufacture is also available with a case finished in rose gold plating, at €1'950. A duo of stunningly beautiful
timepieces!

History Frederique Constant Manufacture Calibers

In 2001, Frederique Constant launched the development of its first manufacture caliber in close collaboration with the École d'Horlogerie de
Genève, the École d'Ingenieurs de Genève and the Horloge Vakschool Zadkine, Netherlands. The Heart Beat Manufacture has the characteristic
bridge for the balance wheel on the front side of the caliber, which made it possible to have the spiral and fine regulation on the front side as
well, creating a much more appealing Heart Beat design. This construction was new - allowing Frederique Constant to obtain a patent.

In 2008, Frederique Constant introduced its first Tourbillon Manufacture movement with Silicium (Silicon) Escapement Wheel. There are three
main advantages compared to a regular escapement wheel:

- No oiling necessary
- Ultra smooth surface
- Weight 1/5th of steel

As a result, the Frederique Constant Tourbillon has an amplitude of over 300 degrees in dial-up and dial-down positions. Even in the crown-down
position, the amplitude is over 275 degrees, which is substantially more than the performance of other high-end tourbillons.

In 2009, Frederique Constant launched a new in-house base caliber (FC-700). Component rationalization and assembly efficiency were the top
priorities for the development of this caliber. Result was an overall 30% cost saving compared with the earlier Heart Beat Manufacture caliber.
Various new technologies were incorporated. For the first time, a Swiss watch manufacturer introduced a watch with a manufacture caliber below
€2'000 retail.

Frederique Constant Factory

The Frederique Constant production facility in Geneva measures 3'200 square meters, divided over four floors, offering an attractive working
environment in the sectors of caliber component production, caliber assembly, watch assembly, and extensive quality control. Numerically
controlled machines of the latest generation are located in a large atelier in the basement, where all component manufacturing is concentrated.
Caliber and watch assembly, as well as state-of-the-art quality control is primarily organized on the first floor of the Frederique Constant building.
The building also serves as the brand's international headquarters.

Related link: Frédérique Constant | The Brand

See less See more
#4 ·
These are beautiful watches at an exceptional value.

Reactions: FCGVA
#8 ·
I love the watch, is it possible to get it on the bracelet found on the classic series... FC303MC4P6B2...??

Reactions: FCGVA
#19 ·
Yes! Finally after weeks of considerations weighing up the different pros and cons, I finally decided to purchase my first ever mechanical watch.

The Frederique Constant FC-710MC4HG Manufacture Classics.

This watch looks much better in real life and outside the shop than in the photos!

After working for the past 2 years in my first professional job at a corporation in Zurich, I thought it would be great symbolic gesture if I were to buy a swiss watch and congratulate myself for my own efforts, and also keep it as a souvenir

After some days and nights of research, it occurred to me that the Swiss Watch industry is much more complicated than it seems, and that many of the upper-middle range of luxury watches made in Switzerland had movements made by ETA which is owned by the Swatch Group.

The idea of purchasing a "car" that used all the same engines from one company was abit of a turn-off.

I wanted a brand that keeps true to its watch-making.

Of course as a young professional, brands like Patek, JLC were really out of the question, and I didn't like the sporty style watches such as Rolex and Omega.

I was looking for something that was more classic with a strong european flavour.

I eventually landed on the Frederique Constant homepage and ended up trying to make up my mind which one of FC's watches to buy.

In the end, the Manufacturer Classic FC-710 won me over, due to its understated look with a true manufacture movement and a modest price tag - got it for 2200 CHF (received only a slight 4% discount, nevertheless this is probably a decent price in Zurich Bahnhofstrasse).

Frederique Constant was also founded in 1988, which is the year in which I was born and the year my current company got its name.

And its motto "Live Your Passion", definitely strikes a chord with me.

Thank you to Co-founder Peter Stas and the FC team for coming up with this AWESOME collection of "Accessible Luxury", so that I may too enjoy abit of self-indulgence with my limited budget.

Here are some photos to show off my new purchase:

Peter

#23 ·
#24 ·
Everything I have read and was told by the AD is that its fully in house. I see the part you're talking about in that link. Thats very alarming. Anyone have any info?

The watch has been great regardless but the selling point that got me to pick it over a few others was the in house.

#25 ·
The link is wrong. It is fully in-house with regards to the design and manufacturing of many of its parts. There is no part interchangeability with a Sellita SW200, SW300, or ETA movements other than, say, the hairsprings or balance wheels which are outsourced.

Please don't let a typo on the web page change your opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28 ·
I am of belief that pin buckles are more casual and thus bought the tan one specifically as such. The blue one was actually given to me by an AD when i bought the tan one as it was the right size and he had nothing else to use it on and I removed the pin buckle and keepers and threw on the deployant because i wanted to dress it up a bit. Over time the gap seen in the photos has completely flattened out. There is obviously still the pin gap. It's a touch annoying to me but no one else has noticed it unless i take the watch off and give it to them with that particular strap on (in the beginning i used to ask my friends if they could see it up close).

I went to an AD and built the tan one custom. You can also do it on Camille Fournets website - its really easy and relatively fast shipping.

#29 · (Edited)
I recently had the FC Classics Manufacture in steel bought for me as a gift. Before trying the watch on, I had some reservations about the size - my previous watch was 40mm and I thought anything larger might be too bulky. I know a lot of other people are concerned about the same thing. After trying the watch on, though, my fears have been assuaged. I thought I'd upload some wrist shots here, as these seem to be surprisingly sparse on the web.

My wrist is 58-59mm across (around the same width as an iPhone 5s, for reference).

White Watch Black Wrist Analog watch

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Wrist Watch Arm Hand Fashion accessory

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Attachments