INCOMING! THE FIRST OF TWO NEW ALPINAS RECEIVED! - Page 3
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: INCOMING! THE FIRST OF TWO NEW ALPINAS RECEIVED!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: INCOMING! THE FIRST OF TWO NEW ALPINAS RECEIVED!

Quote Originally Posted by UofRSpider View Post
    I have also owned Rolex and Omega. An Alpina is no comparison at all - like comparing apples to an onion. Good watches for their price point but no where near the level of Rolex or Omega.
    In my opinion, the only real difference is panache.

Panache: flamboyance, confidence, self-assurance, style, flair, elan, dash, verve, zest, spirit, brio, éclat, vivacity, gusto, liveliness, vitality, energy; informal pizzazz, oomph, zip, zing.

It's mostly hype, advertising, and a solid reputation for over 75 years or so. There's no doubt that Rolex and Omegas are two of the finest watches you can buy and there are differences between a Rolex and an Alpina—but apples to onions? I don't think it's that much of a difference. Maybe if you're comparing Invicta to Rolex, but not Alpina. If you really think so, then you need to read about Alpina, their history and their reputation. Most of the Swiss watchmakers were pretty much the same a hundred years ago, but only a few survived.

Do Rolex and Omegas keep time better than +/- 5 seconds per day? Not that I've seen. Can they go longer without a full service? Maybe, but probably not. Will they last longer? No, almost any mechanical watch that has parts available for it can be made to last forever. I've had Swiss watches that were fifty years old that after a servicing and regulation kept as good a time as my Rolex DateJust. And to be fair, I've had others that no amount of regulation was able to get them to keep time within COSC.

Will Omega and Rolex have fewer problems over time? Maybe. The difference out of the box is a matter of quality control, regulation and adjustment at the factory. Rolex and Omega have very tight quality control and are regulated for most positions, while other less expensive watches usually are not. (Some like Oris and Hamilton seem to have no regulation at all.) Keep in mind that Omega uses ETA and modifies their movements in special ways. Other differences might be their water resistance specs and special features like a gas release on the Omega Seamaster. Do those differences make them better watches really? My Steinhart Ocean 500 has better water resistance. And the two Alpinas, the two Steinharts, and the two Seiko SARBs I own are all keeping time well within COSC standards, as good as any Rolex or Omega I have ever owned. So what is the difference if it's not panache, and panache is mostly just a state of mind and perception. It's not real. It boils down to how much money you can blow on a watch and how many watches you can afford, or want to own. One Rolex, or 3 Alpinas? And finally, are Rolex and Omega better than say a Patek Philippe, like this one? Talk about panache!

Just my opinion!
    Last edited by rolexus; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:09.

I have also owned Rolex and Omega. An Alpina is no comparison at all - like comparing apples to an onion. Good watches for their price point but no where near the level of Rolex or Omega.
    I would like to see some further discussion, however—some other opinions and facts from more learned watch enthusiasts than myself. As I see so would Tony N. So, please, chime in.

I am not going to re-invent the wheel on this one. This topic has been covered relentlessly throughout other forums.

Well done. Sharp with both straps.

I am not going to re-invent the wheel on this one. This topic has been covered relentlessly throughout other forums.
    I don't record seeing anything about Alpina on any Rolex or Omega forums, but in any case, we are here to discuss and hopefully learn new things, I would love to hear your opinion and perspective.

Thanks in advance

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3