New Alpina - Concern on legitimacy - Page 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New Alpina - Concern on legitimacy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: New Alpina - Concern on legitimacy

Quote Originally Posted by aintitthelife98 View Post
    Unfortunately I didn't hear back. I submitted to return mine today. Things just didn't feel right about it based on everything I could find on the web and discussion on the watchintyme forum. The rotor in there was very noisy and does not match any Alpina I could find. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    Hi all Who did you contact at Alpina? I had a question a few weeks (maybe a month ago) and one of the members of this forum gave me a link to e-mail questions (on their site) and I sent an e-mail, did not hear back for several weeks, at which time got a uncorrect reply from their sales manager. I point out the error, and he gave another just as uninformed reply as the first, with an added note, "Always purchase from Authorized Dealer" I had given up, and politely thanked him, then I got an e-mail from their US office in Florida. It was exactly what I was looking for as far as the info.

Try reaching there.

Cheers
    CamM77 likes this.

I've seen that rotor before. I have no reason to believe, based on the photos and the response from the seller, that it is a replica. Looks real to me. The same rotor is on the Alpiner 4 models.
    In the box and on the wrist:
    Stowa
    B-Uhr, Tudor Pelagos 2-liner, Longines Conquest GMT, Oris BC3 Plus, Alpina ​Alpiner 4 GMT

Considering:
    Rolex 16570 Polar, Sinn 857 UTC Testaf

So my Alpina arrived today and sure enough, it's got the silver rotor. I really like the watch and have spent the last couple of hours scouring the interwebs in an effort to find some sort of evidence that this specific model has been manufactured with the silver rotor and that it is truly a legit piece.

Beyond the silver vs black rotor mystery, the other thing that's been confusing me is spotting a few conflicting pics of the watch on various legit sales sites. For example, on RaceWatches.com, the same model is shown with two subtly chrono seconds hands and also two subtly different dial designs. Specifically, look at the numbers 6 and 9 in the sub-dial at 6 o'clock and note the differences in the two pics below -:
    Name:  Alpina_GT3.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  50.7 KB
    Name:  Alpina_GT3_red_outline.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  43.1 KB

For reference, the watch I received today matches the lower of those two images.

I was immediately reminded of the seller's reply to the OP's query about the watch's authenticity -:

The seller responded to me:

"Alpina used to make this model with a black rotor but they stopped that and this model now has the rotor like the one you received. The images online are from the old version. The watch you received is 100% authentic and brand new."
    I'm struggling to confirm that the movement looks completely kosher, but I know that the AL-725 caliber is a variation on the Valjoux 7750 and I can certainly feel the trademark "wobble" so it's promising. It does seem a touch noisy, but I need to compare it to my Hammy Jazzmaster Maestro to see how it stacks up on that front.

In any case, there's the outstanding issue of nobody having been able to locate any evidence of this watch for sale via a genuine dealer with a silver rotor. After much searching, I finally stumbled across this listing on Chrono24. A seller in Dresden has listed this very watch for sale - with papers - and has added plenty of photos including....

Name:  5394993k.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  33.2 KB

Perfect match!

So as of now, I'm feeling considerably more comfortable about this purchase and am far more inclined to accept the seller's explanation that Alpina changed their design. It looks like this piece may not be headed back to the States.
    Homegrown: Melbourne Watch Company Flinders, Portsea | Moto Koure MK-1 (Automatic and Mecha-Quartz)
    Swiss: Hamilton Jazzmaster Maestro Auto Chrono H32716839, Pan Europ Auto Chrono | Edox Hydro-Sub "North Pole" 50th Anniversary Edition | Bulova Special Edition Moon Watch (Re-Edition) | Alpina Racing GT-3 Chronograph AL725B5AR26

Japanese: Seiko SRP309 "Orange Monster", SARB065 "Cocktail Time", SNK809 "Seiko 5", SND255P1 "Flightmaster" Chronograph, 7N43-8320 | Casio G-Shock G-3310D
    Polish:
    Vratislavia Conceptum Heritage Chrono (Series 3 Grey)
    French:
    Yonger & Bresson Cheverny

Pre-ordered: Vapaus Veli 1st Edition (2050 - Deep Blue, 2050 - Slate Grey)

I'm glad this appears to be working out for you. It is a very nice looking watch especially for the price. I ended up picking up one of the Oris Audi Sport Limited Editions so my racing watch itch has been scratched at this point. It definitely wasn't as good of a deal as this Alpina though.

New Alpina - Concern on legitimacy

I'm glad this appears to be working out for you. It is a very nice looking watch especially for the price. I ended up picking up one of the Oris Audi Sport Limited Editions so my racing watch itch has been scratched at this point.
    Cheers! I saw your posts about that Oris in one of the other threads - great looking watch and certainly a nice alternative with a unique "complication ".

Re: the Alpina... I still can't see anything to back up a switch to silver rotors with the AL-725 movement on the Alpina website, however based on BriarAndBrine's post, the photos of I've discovered from genuine dealers and the fact that despite knowing it's a genuine model, this watch doesn't even show up on Alpina's site, I'm far more comfortable. Also, knowing the movement is really a modified Valjoux 7750 and being able to see that it feels and sounds very similar to the other 7750 calibre watch I own was a great relief and made me feel far more confident that it was the real deal.

Part of me still wants to get some official word from Alpina themselves, but the other part of me says that I've done enough sleuthing to be satisfied and that I should leave it at that.
    Last edited by CamM77; December 16th, 2016 at 16:41.
    Homegrown: Melbourne Watch Company Flinders, Portsea | Moto Koure MK-1 (Automatic and Mecha-Quartz)
    Swiss: Hamilton Jazzmaster Maestro Auto Chrono H32716839, Pan Europ Auto Chrono | Edox Hydro-Sub "North Pole" 50th Anniversary Edition | Bulova Special Edition Moon Watch (Re-Edition) | Alpina Racing GT-3 Chronograph AL725B5AR26

Japanese: Seiko SRP309 "Orange Monster", SARB065 "Cocktail Time", SNK809 "Seiko 5", SND255P1 "Flightmaster" Chronograph, 7N43-8320 | Casio G-Shock G-3310D
    Polish:
    Vratislavia Conceptum Heritage Chrono (Series 3 Grey)
    French:
    Yonger & Bresson Cheverny

Pre-ordered: Vapaus Veli 1st Edition (2050 - Deep Blue, 2050 - Slate Grey)

I just bought the auto chrono with the Al-725 movement and my has the silver rotor a well. Here is the response I received from Alpina today.

"thank you for your message and interest in Alpina. We had models with a silver rotor in previous collections Yet the current one offers pieces with just with a black rotor"

Based on this I feel better about keeping he watch. Hope this helps everyone.

Based on the response from alpine took the watch to get sized today. The watch store happened to be an AD for alpine and they also confirmed that the watch is legit with the silver rotor. Hope this helps all concerned

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information