New Alpina - Concern on legitimacy
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New Alpina - Concern on legitimacy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Alpina - Concern on legitimacy

Hello everyone. I recently picked up an Alpina Racing Chronograph (AL725B5AR26) on Amazon and it arrived today. Upon unboxing and checking it out, something stood out that concerned me. The rotor that you can see through the display back looks nothing like the rotors I've seen on any picture of an Alpina AL-725 movement or any other Alpina movement for that matter. Every AL-725 movement I can find a picture of has a dark colored rotor that is relatively small in size compared to what is in this watch. I have attached pictures here. What do you guys think? Is this a real Alpina or is there something shady going on here? Appreciate the help in advance.

Name:  IMG_20161206_203647569.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  1.04 MB

Name:  IMG_20161206_203701028.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  978.9 KB
    Last edited by aintitthelife98; December 7th, 2016 at 03:49.

Re: New Alpina - Concern on legitimacy

I don't think there are fake alpina around but the 725 movement should come with the black custom rotor afaik. The movement may be serviced, modified, or whatever reason and hence the rotor swapped. For these concern I would return the watch. The black rotor is much nicer too.

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response. I wouldn't have thought there were fake Alpina's out there but wasn't sure what was going on with this. I have reached out to the seller to get their thoughts and then will move forward with either a return or exchange. It may be silly but I agree with you that the black rotor is much nicer and I'd want the watch to have that.

Those Amazon "deals" will get you if not careful. Especially without Amazon's guaranteed return. I avoid it.
    Nokie likes this.

Agree. Exchange for another or keep shopping, IMHO.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

The seller responded to me:

"Alpina used to make this model with a black rotor but they stopped that and this model now has the rotor like the one you received. The images online are from the old version. The watch you received is 100% authentic and brand new."

I'm not sure I feel any better after that response. I really like the watch so want to believe it's legit though. I have reached out to Alpina to see if they can help sort out what the deal with it is.

Quote Originally Posted by aintitthelife98 View Post
    I have reached out to Alpina to see if they can help sort out what the deal with it is. [/FONT]
    I have the same watch en-route to Australia as I type this. Sounds like I bought from the same seller on Amazon too. Have you heard anything back from Alpina? Really hoping this isn't a dud buy...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Homegrown: Melbourne Watch Company Flinders, Portsea | Moto Koure MK-1 (Automatic and Mecha-Quartz)
    Swiss: Hamilton Jazzmaster Maestro Auto Chrono H32716839, Pan Europ Auto Chrono | Edox Hydro-Sub "North Pole" 50th Anniversary Edition | Bulova Special Edition Moon Watch (Re-Edition) | Alpina Racing GT-3 Chronograph AL725B5AR26

Japanese: Seiko SRP309 "Orange Monster", SARB065 "Cocktail Time", SNK809 "Seiko 5", SND255P1 "Flightmaster" Chronograph, 7N43-8320 | Casio G-Shock G-3310D
    Polish:
    Vratislavia Conceptum Heritage Chrono (Series 3 Grey)
    French:
    Yonger & Bresson Cheverny

Pre-ordered: Vapaus Veli 1st Edition (2050 - Deep Blue, 2050 - Slate Grey)

Unfortunately I didn't hear back. I submitted to return mine today. Things just didn't feel right about it based on everything I could find on the web and discussion on the watchintyme forum. The rotor in there was very noisy and does not match any Alpina I could find. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Thanks for replying. I'd like to think that I'll be pleasantly surprised when mine arrives, but it's certainly not sounding good.

On the off chance that Alpina does get back to you, I'd appreciate if you could post their response. Might be useful for others down the track.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Homegrown: Melbourne Watch Company Flinders, Portsea | Moto Koure MK-1 (Automatic and Mecha-Quartz)
    Swiss: Hamilton Jazzmaster Maestro Auto Chrono H32716839, Pan Europ Auto Chrono | Edox Hydro-Sub "North Pole" 50th Anniversary Edition | Bulova Special Edition Moon Watch (Re-Edition) | Alpina Racing GT-3 Chronograph AL725B5AR26

Japanese: Seiko SRP309 "Orange Monster", SARB065 "Cocktail Time", SNK809 "Seiko 5", SND255P1 "Flightmaster" Chronograph, 7N43-8320 | Casio G-Shock G-3310D
    Polish:
    Vratislavia Conceptum Heritage Chrono (Series 3 Grey)
    French:
    Yonger & Bresson Cheverny

Pre-ordered: Vapaus Veli 1st Edition (2050 - Deep Blue, 2050 - Slate Grey)

I definitely will. I hope you receive one that isn't questionable!
    CamM77 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information