Operation of the Alpina Regatta Timers

Thread: Operation of the Alpina Regatta Timers

Operation of the Alpina Regatta Timers

I see that the apparently discontinued Alpina Regatta timers are getting to be reasonably priced on the grey market, and am considering getting one to actually use in dinghy racing (with a NATO strap of course), but I have some questions about the regatta timer operation. If anyone has one of the regatta timers with the 5 circles could you confirm a few things about the operation?

- The online info says the circles can time a 10 minute start. Does each circle change color over a single minute, or does each circle represent 2 minutes. I'm guessing that they change colors over a 1 minute period, and that there are a couple of different colors to handle a full 10 minute sequence.
    - Can you do a 5 minutes start instead of 10?
    - What about a 3 minute start?
    - If you miss the horn, can you reset to the next horn?
    - Does the second hand automatically start at the 12 o'clock position with you start the timer? Or does it just keep going wherever it happens to be when you start the timer? Related to this, does the sequence finish when the second hand hits 12? Or do you have to remember where the second hand was when you started the sequence.

I usually use cheap digital watches, but I really like the idea of a clean analog face with a large second sweep hand. Most of the other analog yacht timers rely on a subdial for seconds, and that's a shame since the last 20 seconds of a sequence are crucial, and subdials are way too small to find when you're bouncing around on a boat. I guess most of these are meant for show anyway, but I really like the look of his watch and would use it for its advertised purpose as long as the above functions work the way I want them to.
    Last edited by fisker; 2 Weeks Ago at 00:44.

Thread Information