Public perception of Alpina? - Page 2
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Public perception of Alpina?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Public perception of Alpina?

Quote Originally Posted by tysonmax View Post
    That's a great looking diver!
    Thanks. It really surprised me with how well it is designed and built...
    My name is Matt R and I'm a lumaholic.

John 14:6

More Lion, less Lamb.

"Amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic."

Is alpina supposed to be the lower tier arm of FC? seem like FC is usually associated with higher msrp?

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

I don't think so. Alpina seems to be a more sporty sister brand to FC, with a focus on adventure and pilot's watches as well as some chunky diving styles. FC definitely seems more dressy, and even their auto-themed offerings are pretty traditional. I think that dressy flavor means FC's range is much broader in price. They also just have many more models.

FC does have more in-house movements, too, but from what I've observed they are sharing some of that capability with Alpina.
    VCheng likes this.

Public perception of Alpina?

Keep celebrities away from Alpina and the watches reasonably priced. I prefer it that way.
    I have a few and love them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dr_Gonzo, mooncameras and VCheng like this.

Confused Re: Public perception of Alpina?

"Alpina, wha's dat"?

Question about ownership asked earlier...Alpina is owned by Frederique Constant who last year was bought by Citizen. Personally I think this diminishes their perception as being a small part of a huge Japanese conglomerate. Frederique was one of relatively few independents who called their own shots. Time will tell how they fit in under Citizen's umbrella.

The other perception challenge IMO is their purchased history. Yes, Alpina was established in 1883 and have some contributions and accomplishments under their belt. But they fell into obscurity until acquired by FC.

It's for both of these reasons why Oris I feel garners a bit more respect. They are (and I pray continue to be) independent and they have demonstrated the strength to survive for well over a century in continuous operation.

However, like Oris you can find Alpina deeply discounted. That destroys any potential resale value but also minimizes your exposure.

And all that aside, I think few here would debate that this is anything but a beautiful timepiece...

And for this particular example consider how
    many contenders there are at this price with an in-house (granted, modular, but in-house nevertheless) flyback chrono. It's a short list. Eterna comes to mind as one example.

It's not an investment, never will be. If you like it buy one and wear it in good health.
    VCheng likes this.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by mitchjrj View Post
    Question about ownership asked earlier...Alpina is owned by Frederique Constant who last year was bought by Citizen. Personally I think this diminishes their perception as being a small part of a huge Japanese conglomerate. Frederique was one of relatively few independents who called their own shots. Time will tell how they fit in under Citizen's umbrella.

The other perception challenge IMO is their purchased history. Yes, Alpina was established in 1883 and have some contributions and accomplishments under their belt. But they fell into obscurity until acquired by FC.

It's for both of these reasons why Oris I feel garners a bit more respect. They are (and I pray continue to be) independent and they have demonstrated the strength to survive for well over a century in continuous operation.

However, like Oris you can find Alpina deeply discounted. That destroys any potential resale value but also minimizes your exposure.

And all that aside, I think few here would debate that this is anything but a beautiful timepiece...

And for this particular example consider how
    many contenders there are at this price with an in-house (granted, modular, but in-house nevertheless) flyback chrono. It's a short list. Eterna comes to mind as one example.

It's not an investment, never will be. If you like it buy one and wear it in good health.
    Fair and good analysis, though I wish Oris will have the same deep discount as Alpina.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 A0001 發送

Alpina these days seem to focus on sponsoring extreme alpine events and athletes that aligns with the sporty nature of its watches. Pretty cool but unfortunately they aren't as mainstream, which limits their exposure to the general public somewhat.

But we'll always have Billy Baldwin lol

Name:  1_104_en-750x507.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  81.3 KB
    Alpina 130 Heritage Pilot | Citizen Nighthawk | Zenith El Primero Pilot | Seamaster Pro 300m

Alpina is solid! They have a great history and are well built. For the money, especially if you can get a discount, they are very hard to beat. They also have modified and in-house movements in their product lines. I had the Alpiner GMT 4 and sold it, however, I will be getting another Alpina very soon!
    rudesiggy likes this.
    - Omega Seamaster Professional 2531.80.00, Speedmaster Grey Side of the Moon 311.93.44.51.99.001, Seamaster 166010 circa 1967
    - Rolex Explorer II 16570-3186, GMT Master II 116710BLNR, Oyster Perpetual 114300
    - Tudor Pelagos 25600TB
    - IWC Portuguese IW5001-09
    - Zenith Pilot Type 20 Extra Special North America Edition 23/50
    - Panerai ​510 8 Day PAM00510
    - Detroit Watch Company 1701 Launch Edition #3/50 Silver Dial, Pride of America Launch Edition #8/50, Detroit Watch Co. M1 Chronograph Black
    - Lum-Tec B23 Custom Combat B Carbon
    - Astor & Banks AB1405 Custom
    - Frederique Constant FC-715S4H6
    - Alpina Seastrong Heritage Diver AL-525S4H6
    - Stuhrling Original Heritage Classic 148B.3315K54
    - Casio ProTrek PRW5000Y-1, Wave Ceptor WV-200A
    - Undone Aqua Custom
    - Swatch Sistem51 Class SUTS402

I have been thinking about an Alpina myself especially the pilot line. For some reason the resale value and name put me off.
    Regards,

Richard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information