Welcome to the Official Frédérique Constant and Alpina Watches Forum - Page 5
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Welcome to the Official Frédérique Constant and Alpina Watches Forum

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Re: Welcome to the Official Frédérique Constant and Alpina Watches Forum

I have an Alpina Sebring I bought around 2008. If you're looking for good lume, you won't find it on an Alpina watch. I sent mine out to Kent at Everest Watch Works, and he turned it into a torch. I highly recommend Kent for all your reluming needs. He's the man. Back to Alpina, I think it's unacceptable that Alpina doesn't consider lume an important constituent of manufacture. Good luck with your new watch. I love the dial color. God bless.
    DutchMongolian likes this.

I agree the lume is not great but it is more of a dress watch with a sport flair so any lume is a plus to me. It is odd that high end pieces seem to ignore lume but it is pretty common not just Alpina. The lume on the hands is adequate to read through the night.

I have a marathon gsar and Orient 300m Diver so if I want lume I use those but if I want to dress nice, meet a client, etc. The Alpina works perfectly for me for my use. Also the dial is so large and bezel so small along with large hands and domed anti-reflective Sapphire Crystal it is very legible even in low light.

Considering the many other factors that make this a great watch the lack of nuclear lume is not a huge mark against it. I certainly would like better but I have had worse in this type of watch. I can't say about other models. The dive model looks like it has decent lume. Even other pilots models have more lume but as you say they may all be weak. I don't know. I don't think it is fair to dismiss a manufacturer simply because of lack of lume on a vintage dress watch. If it was a dive watch I would have sent it back day one.

Anyways I am very happy with Alpina so far. We shall see how the longevity is.

Maybe they will improve their lume by reading the feedback here on this forum?? I hope so😀.
    Damasko DA38, Marathon Gsar (medium)

As a dress watch it certainly doesn't need five layers of SuperLuminova. You're right. I've had other high end watches with weak lume. So I don't mean to single Alpina out as uniquely malfeasant in this respect. I'm kind of a lume freak anyway. I wear a watch at night after charging it up with a full-spectrum light. If I know a watch has weak lume, I won't buy it. Nevertheless,I think you will get a lot of use out of your watch. I still wear my Alpina and just recently had it serviced. My watch guy told me the oil had dried up. I live in a dry climate and hadn't gotten the watch serviced since I'd bought it. But it's still running great. Wear it in good health and God bless.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread Information