WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Opinion on this Cartier "Francaise" ?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  BillyHSAT 
#1 ·
...If thats even what it would be called.

So I have a jeweler I sorta became close with after buying a few things off of. He recently got in this Cartier watch
that caught my eye. I love buying watches for my significant other and with christmas a few weeks away, I was
thinking of buying it for her but then figured I should ask here first.

Anyway here it is.

According to the jeweler, he says its a 2011 or 2012 year model, he said it was pretty banged up when it came in
but he fixed her up. He installed the stones on the dial and claims they are VS quality. He has it tagged at 4,200
but said he would sell it to me "for a good price" of $3,500. I love the watch, and honestly with the diamond bezel
it really does make this watch something special. However I do realize for the price of 3,500 I can buy myself a nice
timepiece as well as her. To date, the most expensive time piece I have purchased for her is her michelle CSX 36 diamond
which is of course her favorite watch as well.

Here is the only pic I have of it. I noticed on the real 18K diamond francaise's there are only 12 diamonds vs his watch
which has 13 on each side for a total of 26. Anyway, not a big deal, but of course it is SS and not 18K

See less See more
#2 ·
She has mentioned she like the michelle DECO diamond, so of course I can purchase that new and have some left for myself
as well. But she already has a michelle so.

#5 ·
By nice or buy twice. I don't think a Michelle competes with a Tank Francaise and whatever combination of watches you're thinking of for you and her, for a total of $3500 doesn't sound good. The Tank is classic, worn around the world from LA to Beijing as a symbol of understated luxury and elegance. In the fashion world, it's an icon, exchangeable anywhere on the spot for cash and instantly recognizable. I work with women who can afford and have purchased extravagances like Breguet Reine de Naples for upwards of 20k, or men's PP Nautilus (Nautilii?) at 30k and still cherish their Tanks for daily use.

#6 ·
I am new to this forum but not to watches. I hope you change your mind and leave this watch, and jeweler, in the dust. The stainless tank does not and is not supposed to have diamonds on it. Buy the tank in white gold if you want diamonds on it. If you don't want to pay the cost for the gold watch then move on. If you want to buy a Cartier then buy a Cartier proper; not a Stainless steel Cartier altered to try to fool people into thinking you have a more expensive style. This watch will be worthless. I'd save your money or put it toward an genuine Cartier watch from a reputable dealer. The CSX is a lovely watch but we are talking about Cartier, these watches are works of art ( in my humble opinion) and the classic look of the tank ( no matter the metal) is just beautiful. Don't make it something it's not. Good luck. P.S. Your lady is lucky she has someone with excellent taste. Don't compromise it.

#7 ·
Thanks guys, I guess I never realized that without the watch being in 18K, it doesn't come with a diamond bezel.
I was in no way trying to "trick" anyone out there of course, or pull the whole "I can, but, CANT really afford it"
cough old porsche boxster cough so once I found that out I immediately tossed the idea. I mean, the same rule
doesn't apply for all watches (at least thats what I was thinking) many many people say buying breitling diamonds
is simply a dumb idea for the insane mark up, and many jewelers make beautiful after market bezels for much much
less than the rip off cost of the near flawless diamonds they use. I guess thats what my mind ran to at first.

Thanks guys, will post up when I end up purchasing (hopefully for myself as well!)

#8 ·
I have a 2302 in SS and a 2303 IN 18k SS and my wife loved the 2302 so much she took it for herself--saying the 2303 looked better on me than the 2302. Saved me a Valentines Day present search but not much more--and now I lust after the 2302 on her wrist (ok maybe her wrist has something to do with it) more than I do the 2303! Seriously though the 2302 is timeless, classic, beautiful and now I have to get another one for me!

William
Longines Heritage 1954 Chrono
Longines Dolce Vita Chrono
Omega SMP Bond Co Axial 300m
Omega SMP 200 m
Cartier 2302
Cartier 2303 Chrono 18k
B&M Riviera GMT
Suunto Core
Breitling

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.