My ST5 has arrived thread!!! - Page 37
Like Tree933Likes

Thread: My ST5 has arrived thread!!!

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

Re: My ST5 has arrived thread!!!

I just noticed today, that one of my ST-5's is a bit schizophrenic.

Seems to be a new problem, but since i haven't worn it much lately(spends 99% time in the watch box), I can't say exactly when the Schizo-Break occurred, but at the last Timegrapher check a month ago, it was OK. Now, not-so-much!

When it's 'Dr Jeckyl', it's +/- 5s/day.

When it's 'Mr Hyde', it's + 4 minutes/ hour!

Anyone else having this issue? Should I give it the 'ol Ric Capucho WHACK!?
    (Actually, when I shake it a bit, sometimes it will revert back...)
    Last edited by dougiedude; June 11th, 2014 at 18:57. Reason: 'Ric', not 'Rick'
    Nomos Orion Tudor Pelagos Ω Speedmaster 105.012, Speediorite, SMP300, '53 '58 Seamasters,'54 '58 Constellations, Naiad, Trench Zenith 146D vintage Longines Flagships, Conquests, GP, 30L, Ultra-Chron Wittnauer Alarm WUS Tourbillon, Moonphase, ST5 Aevig Huldra, Corvid Lew & Huey Orthos Halios Tropik B Benarus Bronze Moray 44 Green Ball Engineer II Moonphase, Fireman NightTrain Deep Blue DayNight Recon Prometheus Jellyfish, Baiji Vostoks Sea-Gull 819.380, China AF 1963 Bernhardt B Divers Dan Henry 1963 Other vintage: Enicar Nivada Grenchen Bulova JLC Cyma Alpina Yema Eterna Marvin Revue Movado Juvenia

Quote Originally Posted by dougiedude View Post
    I just noticed today, that one of my ST-5's is a bit schizophrenic.

Seems to be a new problem, but since i haven't worn it much lately(spends 99% time in the watch box), I can't say exactly when the Schizo-Break occurred, but at the last Timegrapher check a month ago, it was OK. Now, not-so-much!

When it's 'Dr Jeckyl', it's +/- 5s/day.

When it's 'Mr Hyde', it's + 4 minutes/ hour!

Anyone else having this issue? Should I give it the 'ol Ric Capucho WHACK!?
    (Actually, when I shake it a bit, sometimes it will revert back...)
    So, I corrected the spelling on your name, Ric... are you out there? Is this like the issue you had referred to a few months back? Anyone else??

Update: the watch is currently fully wound, and, for right now, it's in the 'Hyde' time-keeping mode (~ +4/day ), but it can switch at any 'time'...
    Nomos Orion Tudor Pelagos Ω Speedmaster 105.012, Speediorite, SMP300, '53 '58 Seamasters,'54 '58 Constellations, Naiad, Trench Zenith 146D vintage Longines Flagships, Conquests, GP, 30L, Ultra-Chron Wittnauer Alarm WUS Tourbillon, Moonphase, ST5 Aevig Huldra, Corvid Lew & Huey Orthos Halios Tropik B Benarus Bronze Moray 44 Green Ball Engineer II Moonphase, Fireman NightTrain Deep Blue DayNight Recon Prometheus Jellyfish, Baiji Vostoks Sea-Gull 819.380, China AF 1963 Bernhardt B Divers Dan Henry 1963 Other vintage: Enicar Nivada Grenchen Bulova JLC Cyma Alpina Yema Eterna Marvin Revue Movado Juvenia

Quote Originally Posted by dougiedude View Post
    So, I corrected the spelling on your name, Ric... are you out there? Is this like the issue you had referred to a few months back? Anyone else??

Update: the watch is currently fully wound, and, for right now, it's in the 'Hyde' time-keeping mode (~ +4/day ), but it can switch at any 'time'...

Yep, treat it like cr@p and it'll love you.

Wind it up, rap it a bit. Whatever. Mate, this is a vintage Chinese movement that originally had the materials and tolerances to be very accurate indeed. But even a crackerjack Omega Constellation from the 1970s isn't going to approach COSC levels of accuracy after 40 years. Better to love it even after its days are long past.

Muhammed Ali? Joe Fraser? The deserved their respect for what they were in their day. But wheel them in front of some latter day Tyson-type and things would get ugly. Love 'em for what they are.

Ric

Keeps great time(within a few seconds a day) when it's not suddenly skipping forward... Funny thing, i've been givin' it some extra love today by wearing it, and it hasn't jumped into schizophrenic mode *yet*!

Sent from a Point-in-Time using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy4000 View Post
    Mine came in today. It seems like I got one of the cleaner movements, minus the brass gear wheel in the center. Does anybody know if the wear on that gear makes a difference, and if it is worth replacing? My other pictures were not as good as I had thought, so I am waiting to post some of the face.

Attachment 1348280
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy4000 View Post
    I have a pic now that I am not embarrassed to post. The blue on this watch is superb.

Attachment 1356625
    I'm sad to report #114 which I acquired from skippy is no longer with us. Had a relatively minor house fire last year and a lot of the water from putting it out hit the desk the watch was on. I was never able to locate it afterwards.
    fliegerchrono likes this.

RIP #114.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan92084 View Post
    I'm sad to report #114 which I acquired from skippy is no longer with us. Had a relatively minor house fire last year and a lot of the water from putting it out hit the desk the watch was on. I was never able to locate it afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan92084
    So sorry to read that ..... hope that's about the extent of your loss(es) in this house fire.
    You can't get a new one, but these do show up in the sales corner every now and then.
    To hold you over till that day:

Name:  140119_ST5_60_2.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  462.5 KB

There is one up for sale now, in fact:

WUS Project Watch: ST-5 (39 mm hand-wind)

Quote Originally Posted by GUTuna
    There is one up for sale now, in fact: WUS Project Watch: ST-5 (39 mm hand-wind)
    Thanks for keeping an eye out for our friend(s), GUTuna. We need pictures, so nicked one from this sales-thread.

Name:  image1 (5).JPG
Views: 26
Size:  398.0 KB

Note: we have no affiliation with the seller and do not stand to profit from a sale

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

Thread Information