I just got the under-appreciated Glycine Airman 18
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: I just got the under-appreciated Glycine Airman 18

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I just got the under-appreciated Glycine Airman 18

several things have come together that allow me to get a brand new Airman, which i had thought that they would always be priced out of my reach. i really thought i had lost my chances when Invicta bought the brand. i was afraid that they would take Glycine in new direction away from their traditional roots. that may still be the case, it looks like several models have been dropped form the catalog, and the sizes tend to be on the larger end now.
    Name:  20161112_130550.jpg
Views: 1504
Size:  110.1 KB

the Airman 18 is one of those dropped from the lineup after a 9 year run. these have some nice details that some newer watches do not have, line sapphire crystals on both the face and display back. later models would use mineral glass for display back for example. this also has ar coating on the top crystal which their earlier ones did not. over all it has a lot of nice details and i like that it comes in a more vintage size (39mm without the crowns.)

here i tried to take a shot from a little further away to show the size on my 7.5 inch wrist.
    Name:  20161112_130620_HDR.jpg
Views: 1474
Size:  119.2 KB

well the Invicta buyout may have been just what i needed to be able to get this. at the time of the buyout the logo is changing from the crown of many years to more of an eagle. i knew that i surly did not want one with the new logo. it seems that Glycine decided to sell off a lot of its old stock. both discontinued items and ones that still had the old logo on it.

this has the older logo on the dial and one of the crowns.
    Name:  20161112_130509_HDR.jpg
Views: 1462
Size:  128.9 KB

it looks like a lot of the over stock is being sold off by watchgooroo on ebay. they are an authorized Glycine dealer, so these even come with a Glycine warranty... for as much at 75% off of the original retail price if you make an offer. not bad!

the details in the shape of the case are very nice and keep to the vintage feel.
    Name:  20161112_130443_HDR.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  138.9 KB

the movement is nicely decorated and looks great through the sapphire display back
    Name:  20161112_135146.jpg
Views: 1444
Size:  128.1 KB

the blue of the strap goes nicely with dial that fades from black to a deep blue. i plan on finding a nice stainless steel bracelet to give it another look, but the blue strap will work for a casual feel.
    Name:  20161112_130658.jpg
Views: 1437
Size:  92.3 KB

here i tried to capture the lume.
    Name:  20161112_130946.jpg
Views: 1434
Size:  107.5 KB

over all i am very happy to finally be a Glycine Airman owner. i missed out on a 1953 vintage limited edition, but in the end i think this is the better one for me and my vintage tastes. i am sure i could not even have bought an old vintage airman for the price i paid. i don't see many here on WUS with this smaller watch from the airman family, but i am glad that i got it and i think it is just the right kind for me.

Re: I just got the under-appreciated Glycine Airman 18

Good acquisition! I have the 18 in black. I'm glad I got it as well.
    It's 1700hrs somewhere...

Nice pickup. I've been drooling over them since they were posted in the bargain thread.
    I'm having a problem trusting watchgooroo's description. I read the purists were all 24hr, but they have them listed at 12-hour/24-hour.
    What's the code for a pure 24 hour glycine?

Sent from my 2014818 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by macosie View Post
    Nice pickup. I've been drooling over them since they were posted in the bargain thread.
    I'm having a problem trusting watchgooroo's description. I read the purists were all 24hr, but they have them listed at 12-hour/24-hour.
    What's the code for a pure 24 hour glycine?

Watchgooroo got that from Glycine's description... The Airmen with 3 hands will be a purist. If they have the 4th GMT hand then the arrow hour hand will run like a regular 12 hour watch and only the GMT hand will use the 24 hour scale.

You can see on my picture that the lumed markers can be used for the minutes... Well on a GMT version those would also create the 12 hour face for telling time with the main hour hand.

So in short on an Airman with a 24 hour dial... the 3 handers are purists.

sent with much dificulty with Tapatalk on my phone

the one thing that i found a little lacking is the lume on the markers. you can see that in the picture in my first post. all of the hands glowed all night fine, but the markers did not last long enough. this model only has every other hour marked which would have been fine for me to tell 24 hour time in the dark, but it is a little hard to be sure of the hour just looking at the hands.

With my watch budget depleted, and a double mortgage payment coming up... looks like I'm sitting out this one. Watchgooroo's has the Airman 1953 DC4 model in the 24hour, though it's listed as 12/24.
    I hope someone buys it so I don't have to keep looking at it.

tylehman and GUTuna like this.

Another Airman 18 owner here. While I tend to wear quartz watches more often lately, the Glycine is my favorite mechanical watch.
    tylehman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by macosie View Post
    With my watch budget depleted, and a double mortgage payment coming up... looks like I'm sitting out this one. Watchgooroo's has the Airman 1953 DC4 model in the 24hour, though it's listed as 12/24.
    I hope someone buys it so I don't have to keep looking at it.

they all say 12/24 because glycine does not differentiate the GMTs from the Purists in their literature. it does have marking so if you have the GMT you can use the dial as a 12 hour. i almost went for that one, if it just had had the other hands. i really wanted the arrow with the long tail for the hour hand.

I just got the airman 18 bronze with black mother pearl dial. Decided to try something different from the usual silver stainless steel. But same like you, love the airman 18! Looking forward to mine arriving soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GUTuna likes this.

Congratulations on your new Airman. I am a big fan of the dégradé dial. The Airman is a classic.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information