Thread: O&W Moon Orbiter - seeking help....

O&W Moon Orbiter - seeking help....

I am excited to have just won this O&W Moon Orbiter from ebay; Can anyone help me to find the correct bezel? (24 hr, blue/red with the split in color at 06 / 18 hr line). I realize this may be a long or impossible search - is this something that can be replicated / manufactured? Thanks! (bezel can be seen here: Here's one you don't see that often (O&W Moon Orbiter))
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: O&W Moon Orbiter - seeking help....

Hi Pete,
    Nice watch! The bezel is very similar to the vintage Early Bird's...but from photos I think it's a bit thinner across the top (and in day/night vs. AM/PM). The bad news is this insert will be difficult if not impossible to find, and expensive to had made yourself (if anyone would even do it for you. Some companies will make an item for a guy if they think it may have a broader market, but this watch is too rare for that).
    My suggestion would be to contact THE MAN himself, Mr. A Wajs. He's still alive and has his own website (if I remember correctly it's www.chronotime.ch) where you might be able to contact him. There always the off chance he's got one of those 40 year old bezel inserts in a drawer somewhere
    YOU ARE
    WHAT YOU DO
    WHEN IT COUNTS

Dennis Smith

24 Hour Forum Moderator

2010 AirNautic Early Bird (#1&#50)
    2012 Glycine "1953" Airman
    Rolex GMT Master II Pepsi
    Zenith DeLuca

Thanks Dennis,

I already have sent an email to Mr. Wajs. Not sure how often he checks, as I have tried to email him concerning another watch previously to no avail. I have dealt with Howard Marx who deals a lot of the O&W online - I will also check if he can communicate with Mr. Wajs or help in any way.
    I realized when I bid this that the bezel was missing and am only sorry it is not a complete piece; however, I love this computer dial and 24hr timekeeping, and I don't see them often. At the bid paid I will gladly enjoy wearing this watch without much concern of future valuation as I plan on keeping it for my own enjoyment.
    I have read that the early bird bezel, although not an exact match, is a non-starter because the case size is some mm different - they may be just as hard to find too.

Hi Pete,
    Sounds like you've got it covered...The only communication I've had with Mr Wajs in the past has been third person through Howard Marx. So that's an idea you already had Happy New Year!
    YOU ARE
    WHAT YOU DO
    WHEN IT COUNTS

Dennis Smith

24 Hour Forum Moderator

Zenith DeLuca

Fingers crossed for me - I think I located a bezel, not perfect but in good condition, directly from Mr. Wajs. He has a complete, non working Moon Orbiter with the bezel he is willing to sell me. His example on its own needs work, he says "...The movement marked Ollech + Wajs looks in very good condition. The crystal and case back have scratches, the inside of the case back is marked Ollech Wajs. The movement is not running. The watch needs new hands - which I do not have. I think a qualified watchmaker can restore it. ...." but it has the bezel. Between the two I think I can get a good example of this Moon Orbiter put together. This has become pretty fun for me and the end result will hopefully be gratifying.

Fingers crossed here too. Keep us posted. That would be an awesome outcome if it all works out.
    YOU ARE
    WHAT YOU DO
    WHEN IT COUNTS

Dennis Smith

24 Hour Forum Moderator

Zenith DeLuca

Thread Information