Like Tree8Likes

Thread: A Short Essay On the 24 Hour Watch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: A Short Essay On the 24 Hour Watch

OP - Thanks for this great essay. I enjoyed reading it.

Very interesting read. 24-hour watches definitely have their appeal.

I have a couple of questions though (not necessarily directed to the OP, feel free to answer):

1. (I'm assuming you own both 24- and 12-hour watches) Do you find it confusing to switch back and forth? Or do you only stick to 24-hour watches?

2. Can you give your opinion on these Russian watches? The first one (black Aviator) looks great. Any opinions on its movement/quality?

Cheers!
    Eddie - http://asphericalperpsective.tumblr.com
    Professional Idiot, Amateur Photographer/Filmmaker - and newly addicted watch collector.

Hi Eddie!

1 - For me it is not confusing maybe because here where i live we are used to a 24h scale (radio, tv, newspapers etc). For me it makes more sense a 24h scale watch because the day has...24h!
    I also work in shifts so it makes even more sense to me. I also own 12h scale watches and i don't find it difficult when i switch from one to the other.

2 - I own one of those black PVD Aviator watches. It is very sturdy. Daily rate is around -10s to -15s a day. Movement is the hand wound Poljot 2623. From the official homepage they now use the hand wound Plojot 2614. Difference should be minor (try looking at the Russion forum for more info on these movements).

I hope this helps!
    My "babies" My "babies" My "babies" My incoming "babies" My future "babies"
    Lüm-Tec B4 #13/100 YES WorldWatchII 24H Bezel W400.4 Alpha Watch PNR6-24H-Black Dial Seiko Spring Drive GMT SNR009
    AirNautic Classic 24 (PVD) Aviator 24H (Volmax) 2623/1225830 Glycine Airman 2000 3764.19T66-MB
    AirNautic Early Bird (PVD) #8/50 Aviator 24H Black (Volmax) 2623/1224830 Parnis PVD 44mm GMT II
    AirNautic AN-24 Pilot "Raketa" 24H Submarine U100 Perpetual Watch Chronograph C-06
    Steinhart GMT Ocean1 Black Citizen EcoDrive Calibre 8700 BL8000-54L Perpetual Watch GMT G-02
    Tissot PSR516 Automatic T91.1.483.51 Seagull 819.351 WUS Chinese Moonphase 2011SE #72/150

Cybertrancer - Thanks for your reply. I will do some further research in the 24-Hour/Russian Fora :)
    Eddie - http://asphericalperpsective.tumblr.com
    Professional Idiot, Amateur Photographer/Filmmaker - and newly addicted watch collector.

Quote Originally Posted by asphericalperspective View Post
    Very interesting read. 24-hour watches definitely have their appeal.

I have a couple of questions though (not necessarily directed to the OP, feel free to answer):

1. (I'm assuming you own both 24- and 12-hour watches) Do you find it confusing to switch back and forth? Or do you only stick to 24-hour watches?

2. Can you give your opinion on these Russian watches? The first one (black Aviator) looks great. Any opinions on its movement/quality?

Cheers!
    I don't find it confusing changing between 24 hour and "normal" watches. Once you teach yourself how to read your 24 hour dial, 12 up or down really doesn't matter to me, it becomes easy.

I had 1 Russian (can't remember which) that I sent back because it didn't seem very rugged. Many like them and they are certainly less expensive than a Glycine.
    unirest1 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information