What 24 Hours Watch Are You Wearing Today? - Page 20
Like Tree3647Likes

Thread: What 24 Hours Watch Are You Wearing Today?

Page 20 of 128 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 70 120 ... LastLast

Re: What 24 Hours Watch Are You Wearing Today?

Here is my 24 hour:

Dave
    l3wy, Elwood Blues and OCDood like this.

What 24 Hours Watch Are You Wearing Today?

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending".Hidden Content Hidden Content

mitadoc, Afka, l3wy and 1 others like this.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366357436.686824.jpg
Views: 1820
Size:  88.4 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366357450.716216.jpg
Views: 1866
Size:  81.2 KB

Good morning all.

So today I went for my beloved Raketa 24hr Radio Operator wot I haven't worn in the couple of months since our annual ski holiday. Tsk tsk tsk. My poor excuse is too many new watches, in combination with a fickle personality.

If you remember, this is the watch that's got me into this whole vintage malarky in the first place. It was the combination of comfortable sub-40mm size, the thinness of the thing granted by a proper hand wind movement (just like mother used to make), that dinky silvery dial and lovely domed acrylic glass works. Oooooooooh. All of that's wot charmed me from the beginning; and charms me still. And I assure you that this is one of those watches where the over-sized photos don't begin to do it justice.

To the naked eye it's a jewel, simple as that.

(sigh)

I've been recently reading that Raketa's revamping its image, collection, and most importantly *price point*, and the direction is a clear step upmarket. I've been looking at the new watches that've appearing on their website, and I have to say that I'm actually quite impressed with many of them. While there're a number of vintage Raketas that I've taken a shine to, many of the more recent models of the past decade have been a bit... quirky, for my tastes. So this change of direction is welcomed by myself, at least.

But will anyone pay $500 for a fresh, new Raketa? My guess is "yes" in time. The new range has to establish a good reputation first, and it'd better be properly built and finished to Volmax standards. Volmax build the modern Aviator and Sturmanskie brands, and those watches are just as finely built and finished as anything I've seen in Switzerland at ten times the price. So obviously Russians can do it. Raketa clearly have an opportunity here, but I can only hope that the investors behind it have the deep pockets that weathering the next few years will need. Russians, for example, expect a Raketa to be a cheap and cheerful watch at a cheap and cheerful price, so conquering their home market will be quite a battle and take a few years at least.

But a revitalised and repositioned Raketa (assuming they're successful) can only result in more interest in their back catalogue, which remains at bargain basement prices on Ebay. Yep, a *good* Raketa's now a $100 proposition (I've heard a few years ago they were half the price or less) but I can well imagine the prices doubling again. Of this I have mixed feelings: higher prices will generate interest, and more good condition Raketas will be found in grandpas sock drawer, and that's all to the good. We want these old beauties with the collectors (at least I do) because that way they'll be properly preserved for posterity. But as my own journey into the vintage Raketa world showed (I was very lucky, and very well guided) the Ebay world is awash with "frankenstein" Raketas cooked up in some Moscow back room using bits of this or that model. The obvious ones are truly horrible, and unlikely to fox the prepared. But there're some that are more insidious than that, with swapped hands or the dial from a completely different case or incorrect movement for the year. Nowt wrong if all yer want's something shiny wot ticks on yer wrist, I suppose. But if the price for the franken's the same as the price for the authentic, then there's real damage being done. Naughty.

As I've hinted somewhere above, if you *do* want to dabble in vintage Raketa waters then you'll be needing an experienced guide. I found one in the WUS Russian Watch forum, and while I won't embarrass him here (or trigger a flood of emails) he wasn't hard to find. And there're others there just as knowledgable and helpful. The watches themselves have bullet-proof movements that (obviously) tick on happily and accurately for decades, and they're easy-peasy to service when their time comes. The acrylic (they tell me) is generic, so any proper watchmender can replace that too, although ten minutes with Polywatch (or Colgate) will do wonders with what at first looks like a complete basket-case glass works.

So what's stopping you?

Ric
    Last edited by Ric Capucho; April 19th, 2013 at 11:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric Capucho View Post
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366357436.686824.jpg
Views: 1820
Size:  88.4 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366357450.716216.jpg
Views: 1866
Size:  81.2 KB

So what's stopping you?

Ric
    Gee, I don't really know!
    Various Bulova, Casio, Citizen, Fortis, Glycine, Marathon, Omega, Oris, Poljot, Suunto, Timex and traser watches.

I have my Raketa radio operator on today, checking time against the clock tower.

Name:  checking time at the tower.jpg
Views: 1571
Size:  123.6 KB
    Afka likes this.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366702963.528895.jpg
Views: 1542
Size:  90.8 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366702977.630899.jpg
Views: 1553
Size:  91.6 KB

Hi All,

So here we have the Raketa 24hr World Time, which I'm wearing specifically to tantalise poor Kath as it's *not* the Raketa she's expecting any moment. But that's her own fault 'cos her Smiths thread's brought up a very interesting vintage Smiffs World Time (resplendent with a half dozen place name mis-spellings, which is why certain Brits shouldn't be allowed a passport) and that got me thinking about my *own* Raketa World Time that I haven't worn in months.

So this watch got the job, and I'm glad it did. Did you *ever* see so much cyrillic writing on any watch before? And (ahem) with the place names guaranteed to be correctly spelt in their Russian equivalents. For example New York is quite clearly... erm... well, it's in there somewhere. Actually, being in rather a World Time swing of things, I used a combination of my residual cyrillic transliteration skills plus (ahem) that fine online resource known as Google to come up with what's (to me) a fascinating world view of the Soviet Union. And for reasons that'll become clear as you read through the list (do take the moment) I'm starting with Geneva and working my way west one hour at a time:

Женева - Geneva (Probably the only Continental European capital the Soviets could stomach printing on a watch)
    Лондон - London (Well, we do *own* time, after all)
    Дакар - Dakar (A surprise, that, although Senegal's about as West as yer can get on the coast of Africa. Gambians might disagree)
    Рейкьявик - Reykjavik (obstacle to sail yer nuke submarines around)
    Рио-де-Жанейро - Rio de Janeiro
    Буэнос-Айрес - Buenos Aires

And now we enter the *six* timezones that stretch across the United States. Quite an eye-opener, I must say, as that's a quarter of the planet's circumference.

Нью-Йорк - New York
    Чикаго - Chicago
    Денвер - Denver
    Сан-Франциско (San Francisco - don't these place names just look *so* bad-ass in cyrillic?)
    Аляска - Alaska (Why not Anchorage, I wonder?)
    Гонолулу - Honolulu (That one had me foxed for a while)

Самоа - Samoa (Does Samoa count as USA? I'd say it might have to the Soviets)
    Веллингтон - Wellington (yay, the Kiwis!)

Ladies and gentlemen, you're now entering the continuous territory of the former Soviet Union territory...

П-Камчатск - Petropavlovsk Kamchatsky (Where?)
    Магадан - Magadan (erm...)
    Владивосток - Vladivostok (Aha! heard of that one)
    Якутск - Yakutsk (Risk)
    Иркутск - Irkutsk (Risk)
    Новосибирск - Novosibirsk (oh yes)
    Ташкент - Tashkent (Soviet Union, yes, but the only non-Russian city on the list)
    Свердловск - Sverdlovsk (Yekaterinburg)
    Саратов - Saratov (huh?)
    Москва - Moscow (Aha! Heard of that one, too)

...and that's *ten* Soviet time zones, one after another. Beat that. You can't, they win.

And I have to smile as certain cities *below* the southern borders of the Soviet Union don't get a mention. Tokyo, anyone? Beijing? Singapore? Dehli? Karachi? Cairo? I suppose Geneva and Wellington should feel honoured that the Soviets didn't name those timezones after some fish factory ship. The population of which would have been comparable.

Eek, joking.

But there is a serious point to this that I woudn't want to get forgotten. I grew up in the midst of a Cold War absolutely certain that one day I'd be caught up in the kind of war that no one could possibly expect to survive. For some reason (maybe human's aren't quite as insane as we suspect ourselves to be) that didn't happen. I didn't have to duck and cover under the dining room table or hide in the cellar (we didn't have one) waiting for the last noise I'd ever hear. The post-Cold War world's a safer place for the vast majority of us, although there's plenty of unfinished business in places like Africa before the rest of the world can likewise come out from under the cloud of fear.

And the watch itself?

Well, I bought it as a kind of personal memento of my year and a half working in Moscow alongside some of the friendliest, entertaining (in a nice way) and *interesting* people I've ever met. As I said to my successor (who echoed it back to me a few weeks ago when *his* stint came to an end) "Moscow gets under your skin, after a while. I kind of miss it."

Ric
    Last edited by Ric Capucho; April 23rd, 2013 at 11:10.
    Perdendosi, tylehman and OCDood like this.

For the second day in a row I seem to have the same watch as Ric... that is not planned

Name:  world time.jpg
Views: 1561
Size:  86.0 KB

Though my Raketa did make an appearance this week, today's the Alpha Military Universal Time. Not a bad watch for less than $100, and it fits my wrist like a glove (well, some may say that it's a big large, but there's certainly no overhang!)
    Name:  null_zps9f415b26.jpg
Views: 1681
Size:  250.0 KB

I'm thinking of upgrading this guy, but am conflicted between getting an Ocean7 Early Bird or springing for the Glycine airman. Are the Airmans (Airmen?) really worth douple/triple/ the Ocean 7 price? Anyone know of any other 24 hour watches that are sub-$2000 that have a sandwich dial like my Alpha?

- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
    Current collection:
    Omega Seamaster 2255.80 "Electric Blue" | Mercer Airfoil | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Mido Multifort | Lew & Huey Acionna | Seiko 6139-7100 "Darth Vader Helmet" | Prometheus Jellyfish Yellow | Ventus Mori Brass Diver 300m | Deaumar Ensign | Citizen NY0040-9 | Bulova Langford 6B159 | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero"

Moderator 24 hour watches forum l3wy's Avatar

Zodiac. ... Fresh from eBay

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1367596499486.jpg
Views: 1499
Size:  74.9 KB

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    josiahg52, chirs1211, Afka and 1 others like this.

Page 20 of 128 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 70 120 ... LastLast

Thread Information