Controversy over the new Saxonia Thin 37mm
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Controversy over the new Saxonia Thin 37mm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Controversy over the new Saxonia Thin 37mm

Hello.

At the current moment, I'm considering this purchase for a loved one. I was smitten by the dress-appropriate size (and price). But one or two things threw me off it.

i popped by the boutique to have a look at the RG version. For a variety of personal reasons, the watch didn't have that jazz factor i anticipated after poring through various forums discussing it. But whatever, maybe I owe it to the restraint in German design philosophy.

The second thing that made me think harder about this purchase, was a comment made by a Hodinkee reader on the Saxonia Thin, in response to another reader's opinion. I quote in verbatim:

"I'm sorry, but I saw the Saxonia this week, and it is absolutely NOT a $15k watch. That price is absurd for a dull, quarter-plate watch with decent -- but nothing more -- movement finishing and flat-out terrible case finishing. That watch was completely unimpressive in person. I'm a big ALS fan, but they need to be called out when they're resting on their laurels, and that watch is overrated and overpriced garbage."

Im trying to see past the strong language, and I'm still wondering why the disparaging comment was made considering that the watch is held in such high esteem (quality and price-wise) by both aficionados or watch-geeks. It's been mentioned time and again by Hodinkee as one of the best haute buys in recent time but nothing negative otherwise, except for the lack of a more contemporary free-spring balance which can be argued on the grounds of traditionalism.

In a similar vein, someone else on Hodinkee commented on a particular Patek model:

"The 5327, what happens when you upsize a perfect 36mm watch (3940), but can't be bothered updating the 30 year old movement, so you just fill in the dial space with Breguet numerals.

Lazy, cynical design, basically the perfect example of today's Patek Philippe."

i cant help but think something fundamentally similar is going with the Lange Saxonia. I know these are just merely opinions and there will always be a few haters.

But am I really missing something here? Obviously we can't be comparing this watch with the more complicated models but Is this opinion justified even in the slightest? I'm no expert but I'd like to hear some thoughts on those of us here who are in the know.

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by tomatoes; 1 Week Ago at 02:44.
    Seiko Citizen

Re: Controversy over the new Saxonia Thin 37mm

Quote Originally Posted by tomatoes View Post
    Hello.

At the current moment, I'm considering this purchase for a loved one. I was smitten by the dress-appropriate size (and price). But one or two things threw me off it.

i popped by the boutique to have a look at the RG version. For a variety of personal reasons, the watch didn't have that jazz factor i anticipated after poring through various forums discussing it. But whatever, maybe I owe it to the restraint in German design philosophy.

The second thing that made me think harder about this purchase, was a comment made by a Hodinkee reader on the Saxonia Thin, in response to another reader's opinion. I quote in verbatim:

"I'm sorry, but I saw the Saxonia this week, and it is absolutely NOT a $15k watch. That price is absurd for a dull, quarter-plate watch with decent -- but nothing more -- movement finishing and flat-out terrible case finishing. That watch was completely unimpressive in person. I'm a big ALS fan, but they need to be called out when they're resting on their laurels, and that watch is overrated and overpriced garbage."

Im trying to see past the strong language, and I'm still wondering why the disparaging comment was made considering that the watch is held in such high esteem (quality and price-wise) by both aficionados or watch-geeks. It's been mentioned time and again by Hodinkee as one of the best haute buys in recent time but nothing negative otherwise, except for the lack of a more contemporary free-spring balance which can be argued on the grounds of traditionalism.

In a similar vein, someone else on Hodinkee commented on a particular Patek model:

"The 5327, what happens when you upsize a perfect 36mm watch (3940), but can't be bothered updating the 30 year old movement, so you just fill in the dial space with Breguet numerals.

Lazy, cynical design, basically the perfect example of today's Patek Philippe."

i cant help but think something fundamentally similar is going with the Lange Saxonia. I know these are just merely opinions and there will always be a few haters.

But am I really missing something here? Obviously we can't be comparing this watch with the more complicated models but Is this opinion justified even in the slightest? I'm no expert but I'd like to hear some thoughts on those of us here who are in the know.

Thanks in advance guys.

There is no controversy; two people do not like the watch. No watch is loved by all.

I actually was tempted to buy it on Monday. It is a stunning watch, but it was actually too big due to the design on my small wrist. The minimalist design is not for everyone and it may well be that the watch is not for you.

While I did not buy the Saxonia Thin, I bought the Saxonia 35mm in white gold. I suggest you check out the latter if the dial of the Thin does not appeal for you (it is the same price).
    tomatoes and Nietzsche_Darko like this.

I love a lot of Langes and a lot of minimal dials, and this one doesn't do anything for me. It feels like it went too far on the minimalism, and lacks the personality I associate with Lange. It feels incomplete and stripped down, rather than feeling like a successful minimal design.

But I'm just some guy on the internet. Lots of watch nerds don't like some of my favorites in my collection.

If you love it, buy it. Don't worry what other people think of it.
    tomatoes and whineboy like this.

@ TJMike: Idiot me did not realise that there was such a watch at 35mm in the Saxonia line-up, so thank you for that. Congratulations on that stunning watch. I have to agree that it has a lot more typical Lange aesthetic going for it. Comparing pricing, did you mean retail was the same as the 40mm or 37mm thin? Big difference!

Perhaps I should be forthright and ask: Was the 37mm Thin released to pander to the base masses who aren't discriminative enough to make the distinction between
    the 'standard' and a 'knock-off'? Are we getting a bargain here? Or or we just getting what we pay for?

Hoping that someone here can give us a constructive opinion backed up a glimpse from the technical perspective.
    Seiko Citizen

@ TJMike: Idiot me did not realise that there was such a watch at 35mm in the Saxonia line-up, so thank you for that. Congratulations on that stunning watch. I have to agree that it has a lot more typical Lange aesthetic going for it. Comparing pricing, did you mean retail was the same as the 40mm or 37mm thin? Big difference!

Perhaps I should be forthright and ask: Was the 37mm Thin released to pander to the base masses who aren't discriminative enough to make the distinction between
    the 'standard' and a 'knock-off'? Are we getting a bargain here? Or or we just getting what we pay for?

Hoping that someone here can give us a constructive opinion backed up a glimpse from the technical perspective.
    The price of the 35mm is the same as the Saxonia Thin 37mm.

As to your second question, everything I have read leads me to believe that Lange released the 37mm Thin to entice people to the brand. However, the watch maintains the high standards that go into all Lange watches. Quite simply, the 37mm Thin (and the 35mm Saxonia) are great watches and people who buy them are getting a bargain (well as much as a $15,000 watch is a bargain).
    tomatoes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TJMike View Post
    The price of the 35mm is the same as the Saxonia Thin 37mm.

As to your second question, everything I have read leads me to believe that Lange released the 37mm Thin to entice people to the brand. However, the watch maintains the high standards that go into all Lange watches. Quite simply, the 37mm Thin (and the 35mm Saxonia) are great watches and people who buy them are getting a bargain (well as much as a $15,000 watch is a bargain).

Yes your views on it being a steal at $15,000 are spot on from a branding point of view and that was exactly the reason why the prospect of acquiring this watch suddenly became so real to me. Never before has a watch of such Pedigree fit into my budget.

However if we dissect the watch's very being, does it start to feel like a watch with no identity of its own? From the original comment made by the Hodinkee reader in my first post it makes it seem like Lange just threw a few parts together from a previous model, and slapped on a lower price tag with a view to get people like myself on the bandwagon. Given that the quality of any Lange is beyond reproach, this guy made a direct attack on the quality of the watch and that baffles me. Im just hoping that it was a just a snob behaving like one.
    Seiko Citizen

Yes your views on it being a steal at $15,000 are spot on from a branding point of view and that was exactly the reason why the prospect of acquiring this watch suddenly became so real to me. Never before has a watch of such Pedigree fit into my budget.

However if we dissect the watch's very being, does it start to feel like a watch with no identity of its own? From the original comment made by the Hodinkee reader in my first post it makes it seem like Lange just threw a few parts together from a previous model, and slapped on a lower price tag with a view to get people like myself on the bandwagon. Given that the quality of any Lange is beyond reproach, this guy made a direct attack on the quality of the watch and that baffles me. Im just hoping that it was a just a snob behaving like one.
    You are totally overthinking things. One person on the internet made unsubstantiated claims that goes against almost all, if not all, reviews of the watch.

It sounds to me like you are trying to come up with reasons not to like the watch because you were not blown away by it in person.

Once again, the watch may not be for you. I suggest you check out the Saxonia 35mm. That may be more to your liking.
    tomatoes likes this.

Yes you are completely right about me overthinking it.

On the contrary, I'm trying to make sure I'm not missing out on such a great watch at this price point. In fact, a dealer offered me such a great price on it that i stopped dead in my tracks and had to pause and rethink what I actually did see at the boutique. As an observer over a good many years, I've grown rather cynical on where value really is in the watch industry. This watch is undeniably one of the hottest dress watches now (I suspect because of the price) and I don't like that voice in my head telling me to go for the current hottest watch there is out there. Been enough of a victim to know. So far I'm not hearing anything technical prowess other than the fact it's a Lange (quality/finishing/tradition etc) and it's current price point. Ok, points for the 70hr power reserve which I find pretty awesome.

It's going to be either this one, or a Rolex Day-Date leather band.

But now that you mention, I can think of a lot of reasons to get the Rolex over the Lange. Probably will have to go back to the Lange boutique and rip off the protective film to get a better feel of the watch. I'll post a few pictures when I get hold of the either.

Now does that sound like I'm overthinking again? ;)
    Heck. This is hard!
    TJMike likes this.
    Seiko Citizen

Yes you are completely right about me overthinking it.

On the contrary, I'm trying to make sure I'm not missing out on such a great watch at this price point. In fact, a dealer offered me such a great price on it that i stopped dead in my tracks and had to pause and rethink what I actually did see at the boutique. As an observer over a good many years, I've grown rather cynical on where value really is in the watch industry. This watch is undeniably one of the hottest dress watches now (I suspect because of the price) and I don't like that voice in my head telling me to go for the current hottest watch there is out there. Been enough of a victim to know. So far I'm not hearing anything technical prowess other than the fact it's a Lange (quality/finishing/tradition etc) and it's current price point. Ok, points for the 70hr power reserve which I find pretty awesome.

It's going to be either this one, or a Rolex Day-Date leather band.

But now that you mention, I can think of a lot of reasons to get the Rolex over the Lange. Probably will have to go back to the Lange boutique and rip off the protective film to get a better feel of the watch. I'll post a few pictures when I get hold of the either.

Now does that sound like I'm overthinking again? ;)
    Heck. This is hard!
    Well check out my thread in the High End Forum (Sports style watch for a small wrist) to see me overthinking and changing my mind numerous times before ending up with the Saxonia.
    tomatoes likes this.

I love lange and own the 1815 Chronograph. I looked at the 37mm but and it may be because i own the chronograph it does not feel great. Lugs are 19mm which makes the watch very delicate and i feel overall this was a watch made for strategic reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    (WG) A. Lange & Söhne 414.026 1815 Chronograph Boutique - Calibre L951.5, (SS) Panerai PAM00183 - Calibre OP XI, (SS) Rolex Cosmograph Daytona 116520 - Calibre 4130, (SS) Rolex Explorer 114270 - Calibre 3130, (SS) Seiko SKX007K - Calibre 7S26

IG - @tempusoperandi

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information