Zeitwerk
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Zeitwerk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Zeitwerk

Apologies in advance if topic is in the wrong area or has not been filled out correctly. I purchased a Lange Zeitwerk (not striking time) from a reputable second hand watch dealer (Melbourne Australia) about 2 weeks ago. The watch had been purchased brand new by the previous owner in December 2015 in Rome Italy. The watch is gaining about 10 seconds per day and is therefore just over 2 minutes ahead of actual time over the two week period. Some websites have suggested that their Zeitwerk runs between 1.5 and 3.0 seconds per day inaccuracy, but there does not seem to be a firm view on what would be an unacceptable deviation. So my question is this - should I be concerned or is this normal? What would you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CFR

Re: Zeitwerk

10 sec/day is too much. It should be within a few seconds per day. I can't remember the exact spec, but it's something like -2/+4 seconds/day. I'd first have it demagnetized (probably for free) by any local watch shop and then check the timing. Demagnetizing it is non-invasive and takes literally a few seconds. If it's still fast, then send it to Lange while it's still under the 2-year warranty (possibly 3-year warranty if purchased from a boutique). Good luck with it!

Many thanks for your reply.

I have owned many mechanical watches and have never had a magnetised one. But I think you are on the money with this. Will let you know. Thanks again.

If the watch was magnetized it would be WAY faster than 10 seconds a day... that's just in need of a tune up but not bad or damaging to let the watch run.
    Current Rotation:
    A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Up/Down (221.021)
    IWC Fliegerchronograph 3706
    IWC Aquatimer 2000 Ref. 3538
    Cartier Tank Basculante (W1011355)
    Rolex GMT Master II 16710
    Omega Railmaster 2504.52 (36mm)
    CASIO G-SHOCK x ALIFE GDX6900AL-2

Thanks. It seems unusual to be in need of a tune up being less than 18 months old. But apparently this watch has been all over the world with its previous owner, so perhaps this has contributed. I spoke to the second hand dealer who sold me the watch and he told me (assuming it is not magnetised) that it would be a simple adjustment (he referred to a specific part on the back which I can't remember) to bring the watch back into balance. Not sure if I should be worried or relieved! I would have thought (and I may be wrong) that adjusting anything on this watch would require something more complex (and a trip back to Lange in Germany).

CFR

Personally, I would NEVER let that second-hand dealer open the caseback of your Lange. With Lange watches, I let only Lange open the caseback. This would be especially true with a watch like yours that's still under manufacturer's warranty. The warranty will be void when any non-Lange watchmaker opens the caseback. It may be only slightly magnetized, which could cause it to run a little bit fast (vs. heavily magnetized, which would cause it to run very fast or to stop entirely). If demagnetizing it doesn't help, then why not let Lange deal with it? Lange may end up replacing parts, etc., which your second-hand dealer can't do. Of course you'll be without the watch for several months if you send it to Lange. I'm not sure if Lange has an authorized watchmaker in Australia or if it'd need to go back to Germany.
    Last edited by CFR; 6 Days Ago at 02:06.
    phunky_monkey, MZhammer and TJMike like this.

There is an authorised dealer in Melbourne - not an authorised watchmaker. I spoke to the authorised dealer and they will attempt to demagnetise for free as I am an existing customer. I will start with this. Thanks for the good advice.

CFR

Great -- keep us posted and good luck!

Demagnetised and now keeping time (within 1-2 seconds per day). Thanks for all the help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information