Welcome to the NAWCC Forum
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Welcome to the NAWCC Forum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Picture Welcome to the NAWCC Forum

As most of you know, WatchUSeek has grown to be the world's largest watch forum with more topics, traffic, and members than any other. With this position has come the responsibility of assisting the good efforts of others to further our whole community of watch lovers and collectors.

One of the other members of this community is the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors. Headquartered in Columbia Pennsylvania USA (a suburb of Lancaster where Hamilton was founded) the NAWCC has the world's leading collection of clocks and pocket watches and the world's best horological library and archives.

In their own words,the NAWCC's mission is to advance the art and science of horology (timekeeping). The NAWCC actively serves the public and supports NAWCC members by providing educational opportunities, encouraging preservation, facilitating research, publishing horological works, providing online venues for information exchange, and sponsoring events. The National Watch and Clock Museum and the NAWCC Library preserve a diverse collection of timekeeping artifacts, books, and archival materials. The NAWCC's U.S. and International Chapters also host educational events and exhibits relating to horology. Since 1943 this non-profit organization has grown from 52 Charter Members to an international organization with more than 15,000 members and over 100 Chapters.

To support the NAWCC WUS has created a NAWCC discussion forum. It will host announcements, discussions, and hopefully provide exposure of the good works of the NAWCC to a wider audience. Join us in welcoming the NAWCC to the WUS community and please consider joining the NAWCC and supporting their efforts to further the science of horology.

Ernie Romers, site owner
    Eeeb, moderator
    Ben_hutcherson, moderator

Last edited by Ernie Romers; November 13th, 2013 at 18:30.
    Best regards,

Ernie Romers
    Founder and former site owner, Hidden Content

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Re: Welcome to the NAWCC Forum

Thank you to Ernie, Jim, and Markus Harris for making all of this happen!
    Ernie Romers likes this.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors

Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Awesome. Drive past Columbia everyday for work and never have stopped at the Clock museum. I need to do so.
    Omega | Hamilton | Tissot | G-Shock

Phenomenal! I have visited the Museum and RGM a couple of times.
    crysman2000 likes this.
    Rolex Submariner
    Zenith Chronomaster XT Open El Primero

Omega Seamaster James Bond 007 Limited Edition
    Kobold Comanche
    Helson Sharkmaster
    Sinn U1
    Alpina Extreme Diver

Maurice Lacroix Miros
    Ball B&O First Mile

Edox Classe Royale Open Heart Automatic
    Shinola Brakeman 46

Luminox 3000 Navy Seal Diver
    Hamilton Khaki Navy Sub
    Seiko Black Monster
    Citizen Ecozilla
    Deep Blue Sunray Diver 1k
    and various other makes and models

Thanks to your great spirit Ernie and Jim's great efforts
    Thanks
    Adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. Hidden Content FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.Hidden Content

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by rjustice21 View Post
    Awesome. Drive past Columbia everyday for work and never have stopped at the Clock museum. I need to do so.
    I am here another week, pop in and I will show your rond
    Regards
    adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. Hidden Content FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.Hidden Content

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Nice to have a forum here for the NAWCC, been to the museum a few times, been a member for 3 or 4 years now.
    Check out the Accutron, Bulova, Caravelle forum Hidden Content

Later, Gary

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
    Hidden Content

Excellent addition to this site. I have been a NAWCC member since 02/01/1986.

Quote Originally Posted by E.F. Schwerin View Post
    Excellent addition to this site. I have been a NAWCC member since 02/01/1986.
    I'm curious -- other than supporting a watch collecting community, what are the benefits of NAWCC membership? Sounds interesting, but wondering what practical value members get from the group.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PriceIsRight View Post
    I'm curious -- other than supporting a watch collecting community, what are the benefits of NAWCC membership? Sounds interesting, but wondering what practical value members get from the group.
    Thanks!
    You get free admission to the museum... I know that might not sound like much until you realize the museum is part of a national museum organization that grants you free admission to well more than a hundred other museums.

There are a number of online resources that I have not fully explored as I have, here to fore, known little about them. But last night I was able to watch a video of a presentation by a collector of Columbus Watch Company pocket watches. It was made at a symposia I believe and is an amazing source of information I never knew. I probably have invested a thousand dollars in my small collection and it increased my appreciation greatly!

You get automatic membership in a local chapter. Chapters are scattered about the world (but mostly concentrated in the US). I have been to a few but Ben knows a lot more than I do about this but they have meetups with tables of members selling watches and other things (mostly clock parts!) to each other (and maybe the public too but I never saw much 'public'...) To me they were useful for buying some interesting vintage wristwatches. The ability to have an 'in hand' examination of a timepiece is a major plus. eBay only goes so far...

They publish a Journal which is currently in Volume 55. It is a nicely laid out magazine... we'll have to showcase some issues! I immediately place my copy next to the throne or to the PC for reading through out the month. It always has at least one article that is interesting to my collecting tastes. And it carries a great deal of information about coming meetups and symposia.

They have national symposia with associated giant flea markets and considered presentations by 'real experts' who are genuinely real. Maybe we can get Markus (their communications director) or Steve (their executive director) to talk about them. They just had one last week at Cal Tech!! (I should have gone... I've never been to Cal Tech not being smart enough in math or physics to get in... I've always suffered from Cal Tech envy LOL)

Others should feel free to chime in! (... grin ... The NAWCC HQ has a really wonderful bell tower which chimes with a Westminster tune. It even has big windows to show off the strike mechanism. Ooooohhhh it is sexy!)

Name:  131506427.kMc0z5dX._E5584_ClockTower.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  68.4 KB
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information