Introdcing "The Porthole" by Pheidippides Watches
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Introdcing "The Porthole" by Pheidippides Watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Introdcing "The Porthole" by Pheidippides Watches

First of all let me thank Brad of Watchuseek for seeing to it that I received permission to post from the Admins.

You can find my watch on Kickstarter: http://bit.ly/Porthole-kickstarter

Pheidippides Watches - The Porthole
    Named after the Greek messenger who ran from Marathon to Athens to announce the Greek victory over the Persians, Pheidippides Watches announces its entry into the world of watch making by launching uniquely designed timepieces.

Based in the Netherlands and established by Rogier van de Ree, Pheidippides Watches started its operations in 2015. By now Rogier has designed three timepieces: ”The Inkpot", ”The Porthole” and ”The Hourglass”.

The Inkpot is his first design and the first working prototype has been ready in December 2015. This timepiece requires a lengthy test period because of its special internal construction.

Name:  PH-web-header.jpeg
Views: 629
Size:  50.8 KB

Prototypes of his second design, The Porthole, have been finished in March this year. The design and development of The Hourglass is in progress. Prototypes will be build in August this year.

Pheidippides Watches has launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds to produce a limited series of 300 timepieces of The Porthole. You can find it here: Kickstarter campaign The Porthole. Incorporating high quality Swiss components and manufactured by jewelry makers in Germany this timepiece stands out from the crowd thanks to its unique features.

Name:  KS-overview.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  205.5 KB

The most attracting feature of The Porthole watch is its dial which offers a nice and uncluttered way of telling time. The hour markers on the glossy blue lacquered dial resemble buoys floating on the sea surface with dots of Superluminova lighting in the dark. The hour and minute hands have tips with holes matching the dimensions of the hour markers.

Name:  KS-nightview-minutehand.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  96.8 KB

When the minute hand moves over a marker it will cover it exactly and the Superluminova will glow through the matching hole. Both hour and minute hands feature Superluminova on the back, which make them visible at night in their own shadow.
    The seconds hand, which looks like a droplet of water, completes the nautical theme of the dial.

Name:  KS-case.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  133.0 KB

The case is made of bronze, a material associated with the nautical world since centuries. Measuring 42mm in diameter, the spherical case in polished finish has a semi-circular side that flows seamlessly into the curve of the top glass and back. The polished bronze has a lively colour and develops a beautiful patina over the years making each watch unique.

Name:  KS-nice1.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  65.8 KB

The moveable lugs made of polished stainless steel give a nice contrast to the bronze case and matching the polished hands. The crown echoes the shape of case.

Name:  KS-lugs-crown.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  118.2 KB

Turning the case, you can find the screw in case back fitted with a transparent sapphire crystal that offers a view of the automatic movement equipped with a customized rotor.

Name:  KS-back-dial.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  135.8 KB

The Swiss made mechanical movement that powers the timepiece is an STP5-15 automatic calibre produced by Swiss Technology Production, a Fossil group venture.

Name:  KS-complete-leather.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  123.7 KB

The parts of the watch such as glasses, hands, dial and movement are supplied from Switzerland. The case is custom build in a German workshop which is specialized in jewelry making. Their craftsmanship ensures a case made and finished to the finest. The final assembly of the watch will be done in Germany by a master watchmaker along with Rogier.

Name:  KS-complete-silicone.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  106.9 KB

Tested for a water resistance up to 100 meters, each timepiece will come fitted with a French brown genuine leather or black silicone strap featuring a custom made stainless steel pin buckle.

Name:  KS-wrist-patina.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  190.2 KB

Technical details

• Polished bronze case and screw-in see-through back, 42mm in diameter and 12.3mm thick
    • Polished stainless steel movable lugs, stretched out lug-to-lug size is 55mm, 22mm wide
    • Blue lacquered dial
    • Polished nickel hands and hour markers filled with C5 Superluminova
    • Sapphire glasses top and bottom
    • Swiss mechanical movement: STP5-15 by Swiss Technology Production
    • French brown genuine leather or black silicone strap, size 22/20mm tapered
    • Custom made stainless steel pin buckle
    • 10 bar water resistance

Name:  KS-PH-packaging.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  157.5 KB

Have fun checking out my watch on Kickstarter (http://bit.ly/Porthole-kickstarter) or on my website (http://www.pheidippides-watches.com/collection/the-porthole).

Kind regards,
    Rogier van de Ree

Name:  PW logo black with hourglass.png
Views: 1095
Size:  10.8 KB
    Last edited by CMSgt Bo; April 27th, 2016 at 15:49.
    G26okie likes this.

Re: Introdcing "The Porthole" by Pheidippides Watches

Good luck with the funding guys! I like the detail of the minutehand lining out with the markers, great touch.

Good luck with your campaign! I think this is a wonderfully coherent design.

Dank voor het compliment! En als je het leuk vindt, zegt het voort

Thanks for the compliment. And if you like it, spread the word

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

So this is a watch with a Greek name made in Germany with Swiss parts for a Dutch company? It's like Eurovision for the wrist!

I like the case shape and material, the tiny second hand, the use of the STP movement and the overall coherence of the design. The backlit hands are a fascinating idea but I am unconvinced about how well they will really work.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Dear Chascomm,

Thanks for the multiple compliment . Spread the word if you like .

On a glossy dial the effect of the backlit hands is indeed less effective as I had hoped for. All light is reflected leaving hardly any trace to see. When you look at an angle you can see the lume. On a semi-gloss or matte dial it will definitely work, because this type of surface will scatter the light better. The production series will get a semi-gloss dial for that matter.

Kind regards, Rogier
    Chascomm likes this.

a bit too big for me, but love the original design!
    :)

14060m, Pam48, AT8500, El Primero 1969, Speedy FOIS, Antea KS, ST8000SA Tourbillon, Zeppelin 7618-1

want: ALS Saxonia, PP Nautilus,

Love the concept and the design. Best of luck with the Kickstarter campaign. I really hope this gets funded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Marc-TiMe22 View Post
    Good luck with the funding guys! I like the detail of the minutehand lining out with the markers, great touch.
    Agreed - that is very cool.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information