View Poll Results: How likely are you to purchase a smartwatch by the end of 2015?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will purchase one

15 26.79%
  • I may purchase one after they prove their worth

18 32.14%
  • I will not purchase one

19 33.93%
  • I'd buy it if they made a mechanical one

4 7.14%
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How likely are you to purchase a smart watch in 2014/2015?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How likely are you to purchase a smart watch in 2014/2015?

To give a time frame for this question how likely is it that you will purchase a smart watch by Dec. 31st 2015?
    Too many watches is a waste of time...

Re: How likely are you to purchase a smart watch in 2014/2015?

I'm not really interested, but who knows! There are a lot of things I've not originally been interested in that pull me back...

What will be interesting is to see if and how this forum grows, in and amongst all the codgery naysayers who find every opportunity to diss the natural extension of timekeeping and technology.

- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:

Hamilton Square Jazzmaster | Poljot Journey 31681 Chronograph | Seiko SARB065 "Cocktail Time" | Glycine Bienne 1914 | Sturmanskie 3133 Chronograph | Aviator 31681 Chronograph | Maranez Layan | Prometheus Orange Baiji | Kenneth Cole Skeleton | Luch SE GAZ 1-hand | Vostok Komandirskie (K-34 + 2 classics and counting!) | Vostok Amphibia (100SE + 4 and counting!) | Vintage Poljot | Vintage Raketa 24 hour | Vintage Raketa Quartz | HMT White Pilot | Incoming: Makara Bronze Diver (preorder) | HMT 40mm "Unicorn" (preorder) |

Friendly bump for more poll participation

Maybe someday, but this type of watch would have to be a daily wearer to justify a purchase, given that it works in conjunction with your cell phone. What good is the added convenience if you only wear it occasionally? So I seriously doubt I'd get one.
    Funkyman likes this.
    Rolex \ Omega \ Longines \ Bruno Sohnle \ Steinhart \ Christopher Ward \ Casio \ Chinese Forum ST5 Project Watch \ Ronin \ Aristo \ Martenero \ Timex \ Sea-Gull \ Rodina \ Aramar

I have a Pebble (I was a KS backer) but I never really wear it. The only use I ever really found for it was if the wife and I went to a movie we'd know if my parents called with some emergency about our toddler (which never happened thankfully). Until they act as more than just an extension of our phone's notifications I don't really see them as a must-own item. Things are improving but that killer app isn't there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by OSUMBA2003 View Post
    Maybe someday, but this type of watch would have to be a daily wearer to justify a purchase, given that it works in conjunction with your cell phone. What good is the added convenience if you only wear it occasionally? So I seriously doubt I'd get one.
    Good point, never thought about it like that before. I'd only buy one once they become extremely useful. As soon as they become extremely useful, they'll be so useful that I'll need to wear one constantly - diminishing the time I wear my watches.

Interested in seeing how Google Glass takes off (it's been a while now). All the things that smartwatches promise are also promised by GG.

Until supercapable longlasting batteries will appear, these things won't really take off.
    Too complicated for such a low battery life.
    because people like us can't have just ONE watch...

There are some things that I dislike about a smartwatch at the moment, even though I am interested in electronic devices in general:
    • Their value for money: These watches are expensive for what they deliver, they help you do just very basic tasks like seeing notifications, etc. Why not take the phone out of the pocket and do the task instead?
    • Battery life: They are still way behind in battery life, you have to charge them every few days. And the fact is that it connects to the phone by either Bluetooth or NFC, that means it will also decrease your phone's battery life (perhaps not by much).
    • Water resistance: They have adequate (or no) water resistance.
    • Durability: It is questionable at the moment, I don't think they can take a lot of beating, most of them (if not all) don't have good protection for the screen.

At the same time they can be good for quicker answering of calls when busy, and for measuring the speed of the bike, for example. But again, are you really going to pay that much for such basic things?

In my opinion, smartwatches are not going to replace smartphones anytime soon, due to the size of the screen. But by the time, they might be able to do more functions, have a better battery life and durability. But still, I will not buy one, due to their value for money. Just look at how smartphones are almost useless compared to laptops at the same price, same is the case between a smartwatch and a smartphone.

Thanks.
    Last edited by SudoHalt; January 17th, 2014 at 20:04.

I guess I am just allergic to change and old fashioned.....I feel that my cell phone is convenient enough. If I wanted it on my wrist I would use duct tape to keep it there.

At the moment I find smart watches to be extremely unappealing from an aesthetic point of view - bulky & square:
    Name:  Current Smart Watches.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  39.0 KB

Unless they can become somewhat more refined, such as the design concept below, I will be very unlikely to purchase one.
    Name:  Concept Smart Watch 01.jpg
Views: 1411
Size:  60.0 KB
    Name:  Concept Smart Watch 02.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  81.4 KB
    Mediocre likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information