New technologies are entering the watch industry
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: New technologies are entering the watch industry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Lightbulb New technologies are entering the watch industry

And we like what we see from brands like Sony, Agent, Pebble, Cookoo, Hyetis and many more. Therefore we created this new forum.

We wonder how many of our members already own and wear a smart watch? Care to share it with us?

Last edited by Ernie Romers; December 21st, 2013 at 20:21.
    zippofan, Robotaz and JohnF like this.
    Best regards,

Ernie Romers
    Founder and former site owner, Hidden Content

Re: New technologies are entering the watch industry

I'm still on the fence about them.
    Non nobis solum nati solum

I´m sure many of you will have the same thoughts as I have:

A smart watch is a purely electronic device. I think it´s not got any soul. The people who buy them have no idea of a fine watch, still less a fine movement. They buy these watches because they´re en vogue. "They´re cool", as they´d say.
    Watches used to be all mechanical. Then came the quartz watches. But most of these still have many moving parts.

If your smart watch goes wrong you won´t be able to give it to your jeweller to lubricate it and replace the worn out parts. You need to buy a new one. There is no close relationship between you and the watch. You have to wind your watch every few days to keep it running. The smart thingy is just plugged into a socket and fed up with electricity. I hate electricity. It´s so inhuman and abstract.

The fact that these watches are in the coming makes me very sad. Surely fellow students of me will buy these things instead of a "conventional" watch. This means that in the future there will be the people who don´t wear a watch at all, the people who have a smart watch (the stress lies on one smart watch and nothing else) and then there´d be people like us. People who worship this relic of the 20th century when watches were still things to be proud of.

Tag Heuer has recently introduced an Aquaracer 72 smartwatch. Will there soon be an iRolex and an Omega SeamasterConnect ? I don´t know. But I won´t eliminate it.

The only thing I do know for sure is that I´ll never own one of these soulless electronic widgets.

And I´m pretty sure that in about ten years time we´ll be looking back at this time calling it the "smart crisis".
    Last edited by omegaman600; December 21st, 2013 at 20:47.
    "Durate et vosmet rebus servate secundis." Vergil

My current dare-not-call-it-a-collection:
    Detomaso Firenze
    Longines dresswatch

Omega Seamaster 300m Professional 2551.80.00
    Omega Geneve Dynamic 166.0079
    Omega Geneve Dynamic 165.0039
    Omega Geneve Dynamic 166.0187

† swatch Scuba Libre Deep Turtle
    SOLD:
    Various stuff: Seiko Monster SRP309K1,
    Swatch Black Decency, Hamilton Jazzmaster,
    Junghanses: Junghans Trilastic, Junghans Olympic, Junghans Chronometer
    Omegas: Omega Dynamic 5203.80, Omega Officer, Omega Seamaster Polaris GMT

You know people who say: "Why pay such a big amount on a watch, when you have a cellphone that tells you the time?" Those are 90% of the people who would buy a smart watch. Just my opinion.

Moderator German Watches Forum

Quote Originally Posted by omegaman600 View Post

A smart watch is a purely electronic device. I think it´s not got any soul. The people who buy them have no idea of a fine watch, still less a fine movement. They buy these watches because they´re en vogue. "They´re cool", as they´d say.
    Watches used to be all mechanical. Then came the quartz watches. But most of these still have many moving parts.

If your smart watch goes wrong you won´t be able to give it to your jeweller to lubricate it and replace the worn out parts. You need to buy a new one. There is no close relationship between you and the watch. You have to wind your watch every few days to keep it running. The smart thingy is just plugged into a socket and fed up with electricity. I hate electricity. It´s so inhuman and abstract.

The fact that these watches are in the coming makes me very sad. Surely fellow students of me will buy these things instead of a "conventional" watch. This means that in the future there will be the people who don´t wear a watch at all, the people who have a smart watch (the stress lies on one smart watch and nothing else) and then there´d be people like us. People who worship this relic of the 20th century when watches were still things to be proud of.

Tag Heuer has recently introduced an Aquaracer 72 smartwatch. Will there soon be an iRolex and an Omega SeamasterConnect ? I don´t know. But I won´t eliminate it.

The only thing I do know for sure is that I´ll never own one of these soulless electronic widgets.

And I´m pretty sure that in about ten years time we´ll be looking back at this time calling it the "smart crisis".
    Thank you for sharing.

Perhaps this new forum for those who want to see the latest developments
    in wearable communications. They like to see progress. It seems unlikely
    they will visit the Omega forum to be critical of your interests.

Thanks,
    rationaltime
    omegaman600 likes this.

I don't have one yet, but I will.

I don't see these watches replacing watches of owners from these forums. I see these watches augmenting the owners' collections and capabilities. It's a no-brainer to accept them as legitimate watches and prepare a place for discussion.

Hopefully I'll learn enough in here to make an educated decision and pick one up.

Thanks Ernie.
    Funkyman likes this.

Disclosure:
    1. My posts are not shilling other people's stuff.
    2. I own everything that I post and paid for it with my own money.
    3. My opinions are not influenced by any form of compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by cristitegzes View Post
    You know people who say: "Why pay such a big amount on a watch, when you have a cellphone that tells you the time?" Those are 90% of the people who would buy a smart watch. Just my opinion.
    Well, obviously.

As far as this forum is concerned, I don't really see industry marketing as a factor. I'm not in that 90%, but it doesn't mean I'll shun the technology and stubbornly ignore it because it wasn't marketed directly at me.

I have no doubt that I will find instances where I want to wear a smart watch if I understand all of its capabilities. It will in a way replace a beloved watch temporarily, but I can see them being very useful on an as-needed basis for certain applications.

I'm keeping an open mind and hoping that we learn a lot by sharing thoughts right here.

Disclosure:
    1. My posts are not shilling other people's stuff.
    2. I own everything that I post and paid for it with my own money.
    3. My opinions are not influenced by any form of compensation.

lvt

But why a smart watch?
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by omegaman600 View Post

I have a problem with your logic. I understand where you are coming from, but you a just a bit too closed minded. Based off of rant, it seems safe to assume that you still own a rotary phone, have no cell phone(maybe a Motorola brick), own a VCR, and drive a Model T(which would be very impressive). The point is, technologies change. Just because a "smart watch" is not for you, doesn't mean that it is soulless, or that a person that would own one is any less into "fine watches" than you are.

In fact, I technically own a smart watch. I say that because it is more a mobile device that tells time. It is a Motorla MOTOACTV. I bought it a few years back while deployed to be used as a fitness tracker. WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth, and 16gb of storage. Another cool feature was that it could be worn on the wrist and had watch faces. I only bring this up because this "watch" is what led me to these forums. Since then, my passion for watches has been fueled by this community and forum. So has my collection.

I guess my point is, don't down something that may lead to someone discovering what else is out there. When we as a community do that, we as a community fail.
    zippofan, 31 Jewels and Funkyman like this.

I have bought into the Hyetis Crossbow as not only is it a smart watch it is a proper automatic watch also, which gives it some of the soul that an earlier poster said they lacked. that was what drew me to it as well as the rather funky looking design. I think that smart watches will catch on like wildfire as soon as they become useful and a must have gadget, which they dont seem to be at the moment.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information