WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Apple Watch vs Samsung Gear S2

1K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  BarracksSi 
#1 · (Edited)
As I now own both, I thought I would take a few minutes to record my observations, likes and dislikes between the Apple Watch and the Samsung Gear S2.

I've been running the Gear S2 (standard dark gray model) through my work phone, a Samsung Galaxy S4, a phone I'm very familiar with. The Apple Watch (42mm space gray) is the newest arrival and I'm running it on my wife's old iphone 5, which I completely rebooted, and upgraded to the newest software, iOS 9.1. So, there is a bit of a learning curve for me with the iphone.

That being said, my early vote is going for the Apple Watch. There is certainly nothing terribly wrong with the Gear S2 other than more limited apps at this point, but I've been wearing the Apple Watch since I got it and don't see any reason to go back.

Following are some more specifics on my comparison:

Build and shape - Both watches seem to be of great quality. The Gear S2 with the round face definitely looks more like a standard watch but honestly I prefer the rectangular display for viewing data. An example might be scrolling through an extended weather forecast. With the Samsung you're really kind of forced to concentrate on just the one or two lines in the middle - those above and below are truncated with the round screen. With the Apple's rectangular screen you can see the whole screen at once, maybe 5 or 6 lines at a time. It just makes it easier on the eyes and to gather the data you want. Both are equally comfortable in my opinion - I have the sport band on both, very similar.

Scrolling - Here, I actually prefer the crown on the Apple watch over the bezel on the Samsung. Don't get me wrong, the bezel is a great idea but it just requires more movement. On the Apple it's easy for me to simply roll my finger to scroll, on the Gear S2 I find I have to pick up my finger to swipe the bezel more often, if that makes sense. If you try to "roll" your finger with the bezel, well, it's round so your finger moves left or right as well requiring a relocation. Or, with the Samsung you can kind of pinch the bezel with finger and thumb but this requires more wrist/hand movement.

Locating apps - I've heard some reviewers comment on how disorganized the Apple Watch apps look, as they are all scattered on a single screen which you can navigate around with swipes and then you have to find the one you want and select it. On the Gear S2 the are all organized in different pages that you scroll through with the bezel. When you find the one you want you simply have to select the center of the screen to launch. This sounds great but honestly, I find the Apple system much easier. One push of the crown gets me to the app screen and then just find and tap, easy. On the Samsung you have to swipe over one screen then select apps, then …. depending on where you were last you may have to rotate the bezel around and around to navigate through 2 or 3 screens to find your app. From my personal experience I find Apple's method much easier.

Speaking of Apps - Most of you are probably already aware that the Apple is WAY ahead in this category. Whether Samsung will be able to catch up, well, only time will tell. What you do get on the Samsung is decent, but there's just not much more. Once I learned what I had, the fun starts to run out a bit. With the Apple, well for instance last night I downloaded translator, an awesome app and just another example of MANY that you just won't find on the Samsung (remote camera operation quickly comes to mind). Also the native weather app on the Samsung annoys me, if for nothing else the background color they use. During certain times of the day, I guess they are trying to mimic the sky but it's a very light blue, not appealing to me at all. I know it's a small thing but Apple's weather app with the consistent black background is always sharp and clear for my old eyes. Also, for whatever reason my Gear S2 weather app never updated unless I actually opened the app on the watch, no such issue with the Apple. And, the Apple weather app has more data, with the extended forecast, hour by hour rain, temp and cloudiness forecasts, really a nice easy to grasp package. Both have nice heart monitors and workout apps, in that regard it's probably just personal preference.

Watchfaces - I'm a little biased here as I just LOVE the modular watch face on the Apple Watch. I think it's the only one that gives you 5 complications - so much info I want on just one screen, awesome, especially in the multi color! Samsung has some nice choices too, and as stated earlier might be preferred by people who want an analog face that looks like a regular watch. What else I like about the Samsung here is you can choose and customize the watch faces on your phone. This makes it quite a bit easier in my opinion. I don't believe you can do this with the Apple watch, all customization is done solely through the watch.

Voice recognition - Another win for Apple with Siri. Samsung's is not bad but I get better search results with Siri and it's quite a bit quicker with better accuracy. Also, perhaps because of marketing (watching the apple instructional videos they link in an email you get), I'm learning of other controls I can do with Siri, such as set a reminder, or start a workout. I'm just left a little more not knowing about the Samsung voice control so I default to only using it for transcribing text messages, (which does work quite well).

Accessories - as with apps, there appears to be at this point in time a much larger selection of aftermarket straps for the AW. Samsung has some companies working on it but not much available at this point unless you opt for the classic model, then it's wide open as any 22mm (?) should work.

Both have very sharp and easy to read displays with great color. Interestingly, I really like the maps better on the Samsung. They seem to include many more street names and the contrast seems better. On the Apple watch, it appears washed out and I can barely make out the street highlights etc.

Overall I definitely prefer the Apple Watch over the Gear S2. I think it's just a lot of the little things that add up, more refined, slight edge in software, HUGE advantage in apps. Oh, and did I mention I love the multi colored modular screen? haha

Edit:
One other important advantage of the Apple watch I forgot to mention is that it has a speaker so you can actually make or take phone calls right from your watch. The Gear S2 only has a michrophone.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like a balanced take on both. Thanks for the details.

Got one thing to add: the AW's two most info-packed faces are Modular (as you noted) and, strange as it sounds, Simple. Including the date as a complication, you can run five complications if you put the date in the dial, although I've often put the date in the corner where it doesn't get obstructed by the hands (try doing that with a regular watch):
Analog watch Watch Clock Font Quartz clock

#4 ·
As much as I like my AW, I've been hoping for the new S2 to succeed.

I think there's an advantage to the principle of designing the software and hardware together, and Samsung's effort sounds like it's succeeded in getting the watch to run smoothly.

For third-party apps, both Apple's App Store and Google Play are just huge, both in numbers of apps and in monetary earnings for developers. Samsung's going to need quite a carrot to draw interest in developing for their platform. Adapting to the S2's interface, especially the rotating bezel, is surely not insurmountable, but it's pretty unique, and yet unproven in the market.

Still, it sounds like a great choice for Samsung phone owners. I'm sure my brother-in-law, a Samsung employee, is relieved.

#5 ·
It's definitely a great choice for Samsung phone owners, in fact it's compatible with many other androids as well.
I believe Samsung has a great foundation and they at least so far seem committed to the smart watch business. As you mention, getting enough developers onboard will probably be the real challenge for them.

#6 ·
Can you take some comparison pics? Especially when both watches are showing the same data, like what you've described in the extended weather forecast? Can the S2 do screenshots like the AW does, too?

I've seen a few comparisons online already, but they mostly skimmed over the obvious things. ("The S2 is round, and the Apple Watch is a rectangle." Um… duh.)

#10 ·
Can you take some comparison pics? Especially when both watches are showing the same data, like what you've described in the extended weather forecast? Can the S2 do screenshots like the AW does, too?

I've seen a few comparisons online already, but they mostly skimmed over the obvious things. ("The S2 is round, and the Apple Watch is a rectangle." Um… duh.)
Well, I will give it a try but I have to warn folks that I'm typically lousy with photos, (shaky old hands).

This first they are side by side with my respective favorite watch faces. I tend to change the face on the Gear S2 much more frequently, with the Apple I just really like the modular.

Watch Digital clock Gadget Watch phone Technology

I probably made the extended weather forecast on the Gear S2 sound worse than it actually is. However, this shade of blue is not bad, during different time or weather conditions the background color changes to a much lighter blue which I find much less pleasing to look at. Also, perhaps it's just psychological, or something between my eyes and brain but when I scroll the apple watch weather it just seems much easier to take in with the rectangle. On the Gear S2 I just find I need to concentrate more to pick up the actual forecast, difficult to explain but very real in my experience with it.
Watch Digital clock Strap Electric blue Gadget

Here is where I think the Samsung outperforms the Apple with the stock maps. A view of the Gear S2, notice the pertinent street names, very easy to figure out location.
Gauge Measuring instrument

Now on the Apple, as I'm sure most of you are aware, there can be 2 different map views. This first one is through Glances. Notice the lack of street names.
Watch Gadget Watch phone Mobile phone Technology

This view is better, where I have actually entered the Map app, but still not apparent street names, at least with the initial showing, (no zooming etc.).
Product Technology Electronic device Gadget Electronics

Here are the map views side by side.
Ipod Electronics Technology Electronic device Gadget

One other plus for the Samsung is being able to change watch faces and customize them directly from the phone app.
Gadget Electronic device Technology Mobile phone Portable communications device

A couple more views of the Apple map, this is what I meant by kind of washed out, the first one is Glances, then the actual app. I just seem to get more info from the Samsung Map App
Gadget Mobile phone Watch Portable communications device Communication Device

Gadget Mobile phone Portable communications device Communication Device Electronic device

#7 ·
Maps wise can use Google Maps on AW.

#11 ·
A couple more clarifying points, really rather minor nit picky stuff.

I think another reason I like the extended weather forecast on the Apple better is (it took me awhile to recognize this), there is a line between each day, and also on the left margin, there is only the day abbreviation. It just makes for a simpler presentation where the Gear S2 has the day and date and no line separating. Obviously this is a simple software thing but at least now I realize why it's so much easier for me to get the info quickly with the Apple.

Also, I need to research on how to take screen shots, not sure if the Gear S2 can do this or not.

Hope everyone had an enjoyable Thanksgiving!

#12 ·
Regarding the level of detail in each Maps app --

It's a line they walk, deciding how much detail to display before making it too cluttered.

Can you search for a destination or one of you contacts on the S2? And/or drop a pin, too, like you can on the AW with a Force Touch press?

Also, about configuring the watch faces on the phone versus on the watch --

I like being able to do it from the watch face. I might not have my iPhone nearby when I want to change faces. I don't know how Apple will add more customization options in the future, but I'm sure it's possible.

How much of the S2's appearance can you change without the phone?

#13 ·
Regarding the level of detail in each Maps app --

It's a line they walk, deciding how much detail to display before making it too cluttered.

Can you search for a destination or one of you contacts on the S2? And/or drop a pin, too, like you can on the AW with a Force Touch press?

Also, about configuring the watch faces on the phone versus on the watch --

I like being able to do it from the watch face. I might not have my iPhone nearby when I want to change faces. I don't know how Apple will add more customization options in the future, but I'm sure it's possible.

How much of the S2's appearance can you change without the phone?
I am not sure about dropping a pin but you can certainly navigate. You can look up destinations with either mic input, or picking a category such as restaurants, etc. Actually, here is a Samsung guide if you want to quickly take a gander:
How can I use Maps and navigation on my Samsung Gear S2?

I would say it's very compatible with the Apple watch, but ... I haven't used either enough to give an educated opinion on one over the other. Each seems capable to me. I just wanted to note that the Samsung's map app seems to do better at displaying nearby street names when you are just looking at your current location.
Also, yes you can change all of the watch faces on the Gear S2 as well. The phone option is just an extra, but I prefer it as it's larger on the phone and perhaps easier to see all the different options.
And, guess what, looking up the map stuff I saw that yes, you can take a screen shot as well, neat.
So, the Gear S2 is without doubt a very capable watch.

#15 · (Edited)
Oh that's interesting! I will keep an eye out for it and give it a try when I get a chance. Glad to see Samsung is trying to stay out in the forefront.
What will be interesting to me is the apps. I'm guessing you would still only have access to the Samsung apps, but now I'm curious, the weather, news, maps, etc etc. Interesting .... I definitely think the Gear S2 is a worthwhile watch, this would certainly add to the appeal, though ... not sure how many Apple folks they could convert - you know, most people might think (and possibly rightfully so), that the Apple watch is going to work better with an iphone.

#16 ·
It might work better, but as I've stated all over the Internet. IMO, it's ugly. I've stopped wearing mine.
I just don't like it as much as my real watches.

#17 · (Edited)
Well, as is often said, a watch can be a very personal thing and obviously the AW styling isn't going to appeal to everyone, no matter what. There are some nice aftermarket straps that can customize it some, but still, if you don't like the look, you don't like the look.
The Samsung, especially the classic, definitely has a much more traditional look to it, so not a bad route to go should you still wish to wear a smart watch. However, it still will display a blank face until you bring your wrist up. Some people might never get used to that.
Regardless I believe smart watches are here to stay and we'll only continue to see more companies jumping in, such as the recent announcements by Fossil, Tag Heuer, etc.

#18 ·
I think after wearing mine for a while I'm going to wait until smart wearables actually start to look less watch-like.
I'm gonna hold off until I can get a band that displays all the info I want, can go on my inferior wrist, and doesn't make me look like I'm wearing 2 watches.
I did that for 2 weeks trying to justify keeping it, but in the end... just no. :)

#19 ·
That's a neat idea and I believe there are at least several companies pursing just that, (more bracelet like).

It's funny to me how at first I kind of dismissed the whole wearable thing, believing it to be a passing fad. However, since getting my smart watches I think there is definite value to having info so readily available. Notifications and health apps seem to top the list in my mind.

Anyhow, it's interesting to me all the different directions various companies seem to be going. From the basic computer screen on the wrist, to a computer screen that might pass for a watch, to watches that have notifications (but don't look like computers), or fitness trackers like the fitbit which are smaller bracelet type devices. I've also seen some putting bigger batteries in the band - and now with bendable screens on the verge of production, who knows?
As I said, I think it will be interesting to see which way the companies and consumers steer the market. I'm thinking in 5 years or so there will probably be a device that could interest just about anyone in one way or another.

#20 ·
Anyhow, it's interesting to me all the different directions various companies seem to be going.
Yup. I've equated it to a bunch of chefs all trying to make new pasta and seeing which ones will stick to the wall.

It's a little chaotic, though. Some are indeed making pasta, but others - knowingly or not - are making pancakes, burgers, soup, or candles, and throwing them against the wall anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.