Switzerland is in trouble: Apple watch is beautiful and useful
Like Tree627Likes

Thread: Switzerland is in trouble: Apple watch is beautiful and useful

Page 1 of 123 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Switzerland is in trouble: Apple watch is beautiful and useful

I know lots of people get riled up about this but it's the truth. Switzerland is in trouble. Lots of watch companies are going to fold. I tried the demo of the Apple watch today and it's beautiful and can do so much (and only the Apple apps were installed so it can do much much more). Companies like Rolex, PP and Omega and a few others will stay afloat of course but probably over the next 10 years we will see lots of companies die out (I'm guessing about half or more). Sales of the main brands will decrease by a lot and there will be plenty of layoffs. It's just too much watch for ~$600 for any of these other brands to compete with it. I think eventually it will replace the smartphone at some level too. You can deny it all you want but it's going to happen. I saw the future today. Maybe in 10 years when the next wearable (maybe smart glasses?) come along then regular old mechanical watches will make a comeback. So companies are probably better off to take a loss for a while and stay in business.
    shnjb, paulopiper and ItnStln like this.

Re: Switzerland is in trouble: Apple watch is beautiful and useful

Personally I think it's going to be a really short life cycle product (shorter than the iPod) it will last for two/three years and that's it

Way to jump to unfounded conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by valmak View Post
    I know lots of people get riled up about this but it's the truth. Switzerland is in trouble. Lots of watch companies are going to fold. I tried the demo of the Apple watch today and it's beautiful and can do so much (and only the Apple apps were installed so it can do much much more). Companies like Rolex, PP and Omega and a few others will stay afloat of course but probably over the next 10 years we will see lots of companies die out (I'm guessing about half or more). Sales of the main brands will decrease by a lot and there will be plenty of layoffs. It's just too much watch for ~$600 for any of these other brands to compete with it. I think eventually it will replace the smartphone at some level too. You can deny it all you want but it's going to happen. I saw the future today. Maybe in 10 years when the next wearable (maybe smart glasses?) come along then regular old mechanical watches will make a comeback. So companies are probably better off to take a loss for a while and stay in business.

Anything that gets younger people thinking about watches again will be good for Switzerland in the long term, no question about it.

Thats what people said when quartz was introduced. But hey the watch industry is doing fine.
    I just think its a direct competitor to the low end level. Tissot and their t touch will feel it. Other lower price range watches too. But end of the day, proper luxury watches are exactly what they are. Luxury items. Theyre for people who can afford it and its completely unnecessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JohnF, Toothbras, JPS3 and 12 others like this.
    Rolex Submariner Ceramic 116610LV Hulk, Rolex GMT Master II Ceramic 116710BLNR Batman, Rolex TT Datejust, Rolex Milgauss 116400GV ZBlue, Tudor Black Bay, Tudor Hydronaut I, Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster Pro, Seiko SKX009

Interesting, and I'm sure the apple watch is truly impressive, but your premise may be a bit off. The one thing that needs to be considered is...who buys and wears mechanical watches nowadays?

If you're saying that those in the market for a single wristwatch purchase of say $400 - 1200 will instead go for an apple watch, I'd have to agree. But someone buying a single wristwatch for <$100 would probably not be interested in an apple watch costing $550+. Also, someone interested in buying a watch over $3K will not choose an apple watch instead.

Above, I am only talking about the general public.

When I was at the Apple store, I saw several people with very nice mechanical watches (in the $5,000 and over range) that were really impressed by the Apple Watch and seemed about ready to take off their mechanical and put them up for sale. some had already put in the order.

I really don't see the Apple Watch as a competitor with the nicer luxury mechanical watches. And I'm a goofball who was up at 2:00 this morning to order mine.
    "Congratulations - you now have a sound watch."

It's still unable to operate without your phone so it's basically a smartphone on your wrist(I'm not impressed) when they make one that can last as long as a watch then I might be worried for the watch industry, case in point, I have a 47 year old Timex manual wind(still runs) in the past ten years I've lost count of how many "smart phones" I've had because they need upgrades or just become obsolete. I just don't see me handing down a smart watch or apple watch(same difference) to my nephew or grandson but, I do see me passing my watch collection to them.
    Sinn 556 I
    Orient Black Ray
    Laco Trier Chronograph
    Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical
    Junkers Chronograph Ref 6086
    Vostok Komandirskie
    G Shock G-100 1-BV
    Timex Weekender

Quote Originally Posted by valmak View Post
    When I was at the Apple store, I saw several people with very nice mechanical watches (in the $5,000 and over range) that were really impressed by the Apple Watch and seemed about ready to take off their mechanical and put them up for sale. some had already put in the order.
    You could tell they were ready to put their $5,000 watches up for sale?

I'm probably not going to be buying a smart watch of any kind in the near future (never say never), but I would expect the kind of guys who have a very nice mechanical watch and who seem very interested in the Apple watch are going to be the kind of people who can happily have both types coexisting in their life. Just my opinion.
    Brad
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Page 1 of 123 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread Information