2 hopefully minor issues
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 2 hopefully minor issues

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2 hopefully minor issues

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help with hopefully 2 minor mechanical issues.

First - I have a Seiko 5, don't have model number, brand new dressy silver dialled one with pinstripes.
    Works fine, keeps good accurate time, but the Power reserve seems poor, barely goes past 12 hours unworn before it stops.

I noticed that the rotor doesn't spin very freely, if I rotate the watch it stays in place more often than not, and it takes a little jiggling to loosen it and get it to swing.

- Is this a case of it just being screwed on too tight? Is it simply a matter of taking the screwback off and loosen it slightly? Or am I walking into a trap? Any tips/advice welcome.

Secondly I have an 70s/80s Sekonda, manual wind with the 2209 ultra slim movement.
    Works well (slightly stiff to wind, but movement looks in great shape on visual inspection).

When sat on the desk it keeps spectacular time. However when I wear it it starts running a couple of minutes per hour slow with consistency.

Is this just the warmth from my wrist causing this and does it just need the timing adjusting to compensate (ie - was it adjusted when just on a cold desk) - or does this indicate something more serious - like something loose or slipping when worn that's causing the time loss?

Any and all advise warmly welcome. Thanks chaps.

Re: 2 hopefully minor issues

Quote Originally Posted by poet View Post
    Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help with hopefully 2 minor mechanical issues.

First - I have a Seiko 5, don't have model number, brand new dressy silver dialled one with pinstripes.
    Works fine, keeps good accurate time, but the Power reserve seems poor, barely goes past 12 hours unworn before it stops.

I noticed that the rotor doesn't spin very freely, if I rotate the watch it stays in place more often than not, and it takes a little jiggling to loosen it and get it to swing.

- Is this a case of it just being screwed on too tight? Is it simply a matter of taking the screwback off and loosen it slightly? Or am I walking into a trap? Any tips/advice welcome.

Secondly I have an 70s/80s Sekonda, manual wind with the 2209 ultra slim movement.
    Works well (slightly stiff to wind, but movement looks in great shape on visual inspection).

When sat on the desk it keeps spectacular time. However when I wear it it starts running a couple of minutes per hour slow with consistency.

Is this just the warmth from my wrist causing this and does it just need the timing adjusting to compensate (ie - was it adjusted when just on a cold desk) - or does this indicate something more serious - like something loose or slipping when worn that's causing the time loss?

Any and all advise warmly welcome. Thanks chaps.
    Great questions!
    poet likes this.
    Follow the Tour. Hidden Content Hidden Content

My guess for below is the rotor bear may have wear out. Visit the service centre or find the parts to have it replace.

-----------------------------------------------

Like me ! Like me !

Visit my BLOG.

Wish I had the answers
    poet likes this.

I've been working on Seiko 5 movements for a few days and I've really learned a lot taking them apart and putting them back together. On the new ones I've noticed the rotors don't move as freely as some other watches. Here is a video of what's happening when the rotor turns but first I wouldn't loosen it. If it's a newer watch the bearing is probably not worn out. If it is then a lot of the Seiko 5 movement rotors are interchangeable. The rotor turns a a gear with a hole in it which has this push pull mechanism on the winding barrel. I probably don't have the names right since I'm new at this but the video will help and also show you how to check the mechanism. You would remove the rotor to see this, the rotor turns the gear you see being turned here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQRfEzkwyk8

My tear down photos are here: Just took apart my first watch, complete disassembly of a 7s26c
    Last edited by mharris660; April 7th, 2017 at 10:36.
    poet likes this.

I'm not new at this...

It is unlikely that either of your problems are "minor"...at least in the sense that they can be corrected with a minor adjustment...especially by someone with little experience.

Seiko 5 is brand new...you should have a warranty...use it. You don't indicate what caliber, but many of this series use a movement which cannot be wound manually by rotating the crown...they will only wind with the autorotor. These usually require about 1000 turns of the rotor to bring to full power (at which point the mainspring bridle will slip in the barrel by design). If you do not initially supply at least 1/2 power...and are not moderately active (floor salesperson job is moderately active...desk jockey is not... For that matter, working at a watchmaker's bench is not moderately active, either); then the watch will lose power and stop overnight, as you describe. So you may simply not be supplying sufficient power and activity to begin with. If after the watch has stopped, the rotor still exhibits the resistance to winding (you describe as not spinning freely)...then the barrel likely still has power on it...and issue(s) are possibly anywhere...and anything...including poorly cleaned, assembled and/or lubed to begin with...this requires servicing the movement (hence the suggestion to use your warranty). The rotor is not "too tight"...do not remove the back and loosen anything...this will likely void your warranty.

Sekonda: very probably suffering from lack of service. Warmth from your body will heat up waxy lubricants...making what is left of them more effective. This is, however, an unlikely explanation for a 2 m/h loss. When stationary on your desk, in what position does it keep spectacular time? (dial up/crown up/?) If you change from dial up (for example) to crown up when sitting on stationary on your desk, does it still maintain accuracy or does that change? In any event...it is unlikely that it is simply a regulating issue...delta is too far out for that...so this will be a service issue.

Good luck, BG
    Last edited by BenchGuy; April 7th, 2017 at 14:08.
    poet and Justaminute like this.

Thanks so much for the replies guys!

The Seiko is an SNKL15 with the 7s26 movement. No warranty as was from a GM seller (couldn't find one anywhere else) - and would cost me more than I paid for it to post it back for a service.

@BenchGuy - that's some useful info - hadn't thought I'd not been charging it enough, it's one of my daily work watches that often gets swapped for something else when I get home from work, so it gets maybe 10 hours wear a day, and yes, there are days when I'm mostly desk bound.
    Will give it a proper wear for a few days non-stop and check the power reserve then.

Will also try the Sekonda in a few positions. Had it sat on the desk a couple of weeks (waiting for a strap to come) so know that sat flat it's incredibly accurate for its age, so was really shocked when wearing it out for the 1st time at how slow it was suddenly.

Thanks again, very much appreciated.
    Last edited by poet; April 7th, 2017 at 18:30.

If you do decide to learn a little more about watch repair it's a good one to learn on. Also, there is a way to manually wind that watch for testing purposes. You have to remove the back to do it but it's very easy. Really good learning info here: http://www.clockmaker.com.au/diy_sei.../chapter7.html
    Last edited by mharris660; April 7th, 2017 at 18:43.

Quote Originally Posted by mharris660 View Post
    If you do decide to learn a little more about watch repair it's a good one to learn on. . . .
    No, it is arguably one of if not the worst choice for initial instruction.

The issues and impediments to learning implicit in its use are numerous and substantial and are well documented in this forum.
    Last edited by pithy; April 7th, 2017 at 19:17.
    BenchGuy likes this.
    Follow the Tour. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    No, it is arguably one of if not the worst choice for initial instruction.

The issues and impediments to learning implicit in its use are numerous and substantial and are well documented in this forum.
    What Pithy is saying is that if you want to learn about watch movements, dont start with a Seiko auto.
    The Sekonda is ok though, a pretty straightforward movement with plenty of parts available when you break a bit!

The issue with the Seiko is that a, its an auto, b, it probably has day and date complications. So, it will have springs and stuff that will ping everywhere resulting in a lot missing bits!

I actually like Seiko movements, tricky to fix but good work horses, very resilient to abuse.
    Snake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information