Thread: 7750 in Sinn 144 Runs very fast... what to do?

7750 in Sinn 144 Runs very fast... what to do?

I picked up a used Sinn 144 (Valjoux 7750 chrono) online for a good price a while back, and it arrived in decent shape (a few small nicks, as expected), fully functional, but running significantly fast. Worn on my wrist, it gained about 2 minutes per hour!

I contacted the seller, who had said in his description that the watch was recently serviced, and he provided me with the person who allegedly serviced the watch. I sent it to this watchmaker, and he told me that on his measuring instruments, the watch was running slow, not fast.

After holding on to the watch for a couple of weeks, insisting it was slow, he said he 'made an adjustment' but couldn't promise anything, and he sent it back. He didn't charge me. Nice guy, sounded smart over the phone, said he knew his way around the Valjoux 7750, and said he never saw evidence that the watch was running fast.

When the watch came back to me, it was still running fast, just as it was when I sent it to him. Gains 2 minutes per hour. At least. The chronometer runs fast, too. Gains a couple of seconds per minute.

So, I have a few questions (and please excuse me because I'm a newbie and fully ignorant):

1) could anything happen in shipping that would make the watch run fast with me, slow with him, then fast again with me? The watch was well packed each way.

2) If the watch is functional and is merely running fast, am I correct in assuming it CAN, in fact, be fixed? I want to keep the watch and not return it.

3) I called RGM in Pennsylvania, the 'authorized' Sinn repair center, and they told me they had to see the watch to give me an estimate, but they recommended a clean/lube/adjust for $550, which would take 6 or 7 weeks. Is there any real advantage to sending it them over other shops?

4) I'm in New York City. There must be a good watchmaker here who can service a Valjoux 7750 for less than $550. Any suggestions?

Any assistance and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Re: 7750 in Sinn 144 Runs very fast... what to do?

Sounds to me like the watch has been magnetized: if so, it should take about 5 minutes to fix. Just bring the watch to any half-way reputable AD and ask to speak with someone in the repair department. If it is indeed magnetized, all they need to do is stick it on a demagentizer (yes, that's actually what it's called), and you're good to go.

Oh, and it won't cost you $550 either (somewhere between free and $25).

Regards,
    Adam
    Contemporary: AP Forged Carbon Diver, AP Royal Oak ref. 15202, Blancpain Fifty-Fathoms Bathyscaphe Ti, IWC Ingenieur ref. 3227-01, IWC Top Gun Big Pilot Perpetual Calendar, JLC Navy SEALs Diving Alarm Incursion, JLC Tribute to 1931 Reverso US Edition, Panerai 372, Rolex DSSD, Rolex Submariner 16800 matte-dial, Seiko SSC021, Sinn 142S
    Vintage: Doxa, Omega Seamaster DeVille, Tudor Submariner 9401/0 "Blue Snowflake", Benrus/Bulova/Elgin
    G-Shock: DW-5530C "Resist Black", DW-5600BB-1ER, DW-5700BE "BEAMS 20th Anniversary", DW-6900MT-7ER "Be@rbrick", DW-6900CL-4CR "Clot", DW-6900KR-8JR "Krink",
    DW-6900FS "Ultraseven 45th Anniversary", DW-6901UD-3ER "Undefeated", 9100BJ-2A "Riseman", GA-110DR-1A "Dee and Ricky", GA-111DR-7A "Dee and Ricky", GA-120BB "Tyko Moon", GD-X6900MNM "Eminem", GD-X6900MH "Maharishi", GDF-100BB, GLX-150-4DR, GT-000, GW-5000-1JF, GW-9400-1ER & 3ER, GW-9430EJ-9JR "Lightning Yellow", GWM-5600TH-1 "The Hundreds", GXW-56-3JF, GXW-56-4JF

Thread Information