Thread: Adjusting the timing of an ETA 2824-2 COSC movement

Adjusting the timing of an ETA 2824-2 COSC movement

I just purchased a new watch with 2824 chronometer-quality movement. I love the watch and it's keeping excellent time, however, it is losing a few seconds per day and I would prefer a watch that is slightly fast. I'm not a watch expert by any means but have thought about removing the case back and adjusting the screw slightly toward the positive/plus sign.

Can someone tell me how sensitive this adjustment is and how much turning is required to increase the timekeeping by a few seconds per day? I have done this on a Seiko 7s26 movement, for example, and it's quite challenging, taking a great deal of trial and error -- the smallest of changes has a big impact on timing for this lower end, but robust, movement. Just wondering how the ETA 2824 COSC might compare.

Thanks.
    John

Re: Adjusting the timing of an ETA 2824-2 COSC movement

Sorry, I don't know where to start. Get a book, I guess, would be a good start. Read it and come back then we can have a conversation about timing a watch.

de Carle's Practical watch repair maybe

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    I just purchased a new watch with 2824 chronometer-quality movement. I love the watch and it's keeping excellent time, however, it is losing a few seconds per day and I would prefer a watch that is slightly fast. I'm not a watch expert by any means but have thought about removing the case back and adjusting the screw slightly toward the positive/plus sign.

Can someone tell me how sensitive this adjustment is and how much turning is required to increase the timekeeping by a few seconds per day? I have done this on a Seiko 7s26 movement, for example, and it's quite challenging, taking a great deal of trial and error -- the smallest of changes has a big impact on timing for this lower end, but robust, movement. Just wondering how the ETA 2824 COSC might compare.

Thanks.
    John
    While it is not a rocket science for a qualified watchmaker, there are plenty of opportunities for an amateur to ruin the watch. It shouldn't cost much to get it regulated by a watchmaker.

Well first of all you need a proper watch tester to adjust it. You can't just "tell" someone how much there's to adjust. As a watchmaker student we have to adjust every watch we repair and it's quite tedious work. If you open it in a dusty room or drop a hair in there you can easily get the machine dirty hence causing damage over time.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    . . . . . . . . . I'm not a watch expert by any means but have thought about removing the case back and adjusting the screw slightly toward the positive/plus sign. . . . . . . Just wondering how the ETA 2824 COSC might compare. . . . . . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by vbomega View Post
    While it is not a rocket science for a qualified watchmaker, there are plenty of opportunities for an amateur to ruin the watch. . . . . . . . . . .
    hee-hee-hee. lol.

This should be instructive [please don't make this a sticky]:

Regulating/adjusting Sellita SW200 COSC certified movement

A PHD in physics doesn't appear to be that much help in lieu of watchmaking experience. p

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    Regulating/adjusting Sellita SW200 COSC certified movement

A PHD in physics doesn't appear to be that much help in lieu of watchmaking experience. p
    Lol,
    I missed that thread, what a palava.

Thread Information