A basic mechanical outlast a good Quartz? - Page 2
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: A basic mechanical outlast a good Quartz?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: A basic mechanical outlast a good Quartz?

Quote Originally Posted by no-time View Post
    . . . .
    So it must be asked, what about about a slightly better used auto watch, say around the $550 price range, can i get a $550 - $600 used auto that might last 50- 60 years if services ... generally speaking of course. . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    Not many watches can get into the 50-60 years scope, if you want a watch that could be given as heirloom, you should save for an used Rolex.
    Follow the Tour. Hidden Content Hidden Content

How very true, a Rolex. Actually, good heirloom choices would be a Rolex Submariner and an Omega Seamaster, those should last at least 3x as long as any other mechanical watches possibly could.

Well, the only thing better would be a yellow gold Rolex. The ultrasonic vibrations coming from the gold crystals prolong the life of such a watch for an another decade, easily. Or are that the diamond minerals that do the trick? I always mix these up. Anyway, a Rolex should do it.

Now I must run, my 51 year old Molnija and a 49 year old Grand Seiko need to be told that they really shouldn't have lasted this long, especially in the quite nice condition they're in. Ah, well. I just know they'll take the news badly and spit out their hairsprings in protest.

On a more serious note, in the parts I'm currently wandering about, Molnijas in a reasonably good shape can be had for about 8 USD.

Sooo... a budget of $600 would get you 75 of them. And, it just occurred to me, a budget of $600 would also get you a vintage Grand Seiko. If in a pinch, having too many kids to leave the watches to, or some such mind boggling problem, one could probably still get away with buying, let's say, 12 Molnijas *and* a vintage Grand Seiko?

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by LightDot View Post
    Now I must run, my 51 year old Molnija and a 49 year old Grand Seiko need to be told that they really shouldn't have lasted this long...
    As a pocketwatch collector I often come across perfectly performing watches which were made decades or centuries before Wilsdorf was born, and I'm pretty sure that in such long times someone has told them that they can't survive a Rolex. But these stupid thingies simply don't understand it.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Mechanical can last a few good years and even longer.
    And are more fun and brings a closer attachment to the wear i feel.
    The sweeping of the second hand captures one more.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I have my grandfathers fancy Illinois pocket watch, now 107 years old. It runs perfectly. He gave it to me when I was ten years old. I'm 62 now.

I have a watch repair shop and I see a lot of both quartz and mechanical watches. If you take care of them, all things being equal, the mechanical will still far outlast the quartz. There is plastic in the movt and it degrades, and the watch itself is FAR more susceptible to magnetic fields and dirt. You can do a CTR on a quartz, but no one does this unless it is a valuable quartz, and even then, if you can get a new quartz movt, that is usually the way to go and this is what happens in most depots. A real good quartz might have a life span of maybe 30-40 years. Most of the inexpensive quartz watches won't last 5.
    Now, a mechanical watch is an entirely different animal. While I would be hesitant to advance a brand name as being a likely candidate for future longevity, if we look at the past, we see watches that have lasted many decades, even hundreds of years. At any given time I have at least one fusee pocket watch in the shop dating to the 18th century. These are very fragile as you might imagine, but are a testament to what happens when something is cared for.
    As has been pointed out, you can run a Seiko 5 for 30-40 years with no service and it will still run, but wear and tear will be evident. I see a lot of old Seamasters and Rolexes, and the Rolex' Achilles heel is always the rotor. You can replace the axle and the jewel a few times, but ultimately you replace the rotor. They do hold their value, and that is their best feature. Some of my favourites from the 50's are Omegas and Eternas, and there are a lot of extinct brands that are outstanding by virtue of their movts. These respond well to CTR and are up and running again for another 60 years. I always point out the recyclable nature of mechanical watches, their longevity spreads their footprint out over many years, no batteries, no plastic, no electronic parts. There is a quantity of cleaning fluid and a minuscule amount of lubricant used in the service of a mechanical watch, to be sure, but again, this is spread out over many years. That's what I call green technology: Your automatic watch winds itself as you wear it and if you take care of it, you hand it down to your grandkids.

Quote Originally Posted by Outta Time View Post
    A real good quartz might have a life span of maybe 30-40 years.
    The number of functional +40yo quartz watches found on WUS alone would seem contradict that. That being said, a well maintained mechanical a well outlast will maintained Quartz for one primary reason only, availability of batteries. However this requires that good watchsmiths are accessible to service them, and there are fewer and fewer every year. Of this ever shrinking number, there's the matter of arrogance. The are watchsmiths that won't even look at a watch if it's not a cornerstone Swiss maker, even if the movement is the same.
    Last edited by Lokifish; April 28th, 2017 at 19:18.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information