Can't get the back off this watch...

Thread: Can't get the back off this watch...

Can't get the back off this watch...

Hello, I hope this is the right forum to post this in.

I bought an old watch that I thought looked cool for an oldie. The brand is Heritage, a Swiss Made watch according to the writing on it. It has one hand for seconds, a window with a rotating wheel for hours, the same for minutes though a separate window, and a date window. It has an automatic movement.

Anyway, I'm trying to take it apart so that I can replace the crystal and clean up the case. However, this particular watch doesn't have any notches or tabs or anything with which to use any tool on it to remove the watch. The back is circular, just like the case, the same size around, and it fits nice and smoothly together. The stem is the only thing between them, obviously.

So, any ideas on how to remove the back? I've seen other old watches like this before, but have no idea how to get the back off. I assume that the movement comes off with the back at the same time, like an old Benrus that I have. The difference is that the Benrus has an obvious tab that can be used with a case knife to pry it off.

Any help? Thanks!

Re: Can't get the back off this watch...

It might be a one-piece case that requires a crystal-lift to remove the crystal, allowing the movment to come out the front.

Without pictures any answer is just guesswork.

Ask and you shall receive. Here is a pic of the front, and one of the back as well. The back is silver,the case is gold. There is a definite seam between the two, as if they come apart that way. There is just no tab or divot or anything to get at to get the back off.

I believe it can be open from the 12 O'clock side between two lugs. Base on it aluminum material, it could be corroded and it is some time very hard to open.
    Drop some machine oil to the joint, soak for 30 minutes before try again.

If Genway's suggestion doesn't work try pulling the crown and popping it apart via the seam on the side. Wedge a screwdrive on the lower part, avoid the crown stem, and push up. I had a Rado V505 that was disassembled in this fashion, which drove me buggy until i tried the method above.

MP

Thread Information