Citizen 8110 rebuild problem setting the time

Thread: Citizen 8110 rebuild problem setting the time

Citizen 8110 rebuild problem setting the time

First of all I will start by saying I am not a watchmaker but just somebody that enjoys mechanical items. Anyway for a while now I have been slowly restoring a citizen 8110.

It was pretty dirty and didn't run when I received it and I have pulled it completely apart cleaned it and have put it all back together except for the pallet fork and hairspring/balance cock. When the crown is in the first position I can turn it and the escape wheel spins freely. When I put the crown in position 2 the date changes freely and the escape wheel doesn't spin. When I put the crown in position 3 (furthest out) and turn the crown the escape wheel spins again.

I tried and pulled off the dial date guard to have a look at the action when I move the crown and everything to my untrained eye look to be operating smoothly. When I move the crown/stem through its positions the the setting lever and rocking bar move through the motions including when the crown is in position 2 disengaging the stem from winding the escape wheel so it only turns the rocking bar.

am I missing something should the escape wheel spin when the crown is in position 3 because when I try and put the pallet fork on it stops me from turning the crown and I don't want to break anything or is there anything I should look out for.

i know that it is hard without seeing the watch but any help would be greatly appreciated

Matt

Re: Citizen 8110 rebuild problem setting the time

How a Mechanical Watch works
    If there is no element to lock the train, what will be the result of supplying power to the barrel...or directly to the cannon pinion via the set mechanism?
    What element locks the train?
    The 8110 is a chronograph?
    Perhaps less complication is in order?
    Regards, BG

First position is winding. So yes, the train should spin when you wind the crown with pallet out. Second is rapid date, only the date disc is engaged, so no train shouldn't spin. 3rd is setting, now you are turning the canon pinion which is coupled to the train by friction- you are overcoming the friction normally, but with the pallet out you are just spinning the train.

With the pallet in, you should be able to wind it up till it stops. You should be able to set the hands, feeling some resistance, if you feel that it's really blocked then the canon pinion is locked up and needs attention.

Thanks maillchort thank you for the clue I will have a look into the canon pinion when I get home. It definitely didn't want to move with the pallet in

and thanks benchguy you are correct that I probably picked the wrong complication I guess this is what happens when late nights and online auctions are involved. But I have learnt a lot and started reading Donald de Carole books as light reading and one line stuck out if the first few pages. "The key word is practice, study is necessary, but practice is essential" I am hoping my dodgy job might count as practice

Thread Information