Crime mystery in Norway. (watch enhusiast) help needed
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Crime mystery in Norway. (watch enhusiast) help needed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    GRL

Crime mystery in Norway. (watch enhusiast) help needed

I would like to present my self, since this is my first post. I am a police offiser and a (certified) watchmaker in Norway. I have been in contact with one of the admin`s - and got permission to post here.

I am currently helping a journalist (and ONLY helping, no financial benefits here) solving an old "cold case" (details further down).

I am, my self, not working working the case (re-opended by the police). The fact is, the day this happened, I was working (part-time, was a student at that time) at the hotel, in the security department. Meaning I do feel some "ownership" to this case. . I think that this is really the last chance, to find out any thing about the watch (one of the few clues in the case). The text below, includes all the information.
    I would like to add that Citizen was contacted back in 1995, but couldn`t provide any information to whitch country the watch was sent. Please use the adress to contact the journalist or if You find it easier, contact Me by a PM. And of course, this thread can also be used if "general information". Thank You.

Help solve a true crime mystery!

22 years ago, a young, stylish woman was found dead, with a gun shot wound to her head, in her room at Norway’s premier luxury hotel. Her name was fake, she had no passport, no money, no makeup, nothing to indicate her identity. She left very little luggage – except for a 9 mm Browning pistol and 34 rounds, when she was found dead on a Saturday evening, June 3rd 1995. A year later, she was laid to rest in a nameless grave in an Oslo graveyard. What happened to the young woman in room 2805 on the 28th floor? Was it suicide or homicide? No one ever found out. Nor was her identity ever revealed. Today, Norway’s largest newspaper, VG, is doing a last attempt to find her identity, together with the Oslo Police. You can read an English version of the thrilling story, Mystery at the Oslo Plaza, Mystery at the Oslo Plaza . One of the very few possible clues is her watch, and three batteries with an engraving on each. Can you help in the search for the young woman’s identity?

The watch was a Citizen Aqualand, model CQ-1021-50, produced in January 1992, marked: C022-088093 Y, 2010779, GN-4-S. No one could tell where the watch had been sold.

The watch contained three Renata 370-type batteries, made by Swiss battery producer Renata. An imprint on each of the batteries showed they were made in December 1994. The factory informed investigators that the batteries had been delivered to wholesalers and dealers in December 1994 and January 1995.

Each of the batteries had the hand inscription “W395”. The inscription W395 could mean the battery had been replaced in March 1995 by a watchmaker with the initial W. The police never found the watchmaker. Can you? The VG newspaper has a dedicated email address for this story: jennifer@vg.no .

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/...psfgbbl5ku.jpg

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/...psomek5wqi.jpg

I REALLY hope You forgive me, for a link instead of a photo directly. I am currently on a 2 day holiday in Berlin, sitting at a internet-cafè, not possible to download the pictures to the machine first. Tried all the options in my bucket, but the URL is always "not valid" (Really did try for a while). I just did not want to wait another 48 hrs.

Thank You

Greg

NB:

It is possible to read more about the case here:

Mystery at the Oslo Plaza
    ki6h and mharris660 like this.

DON

Re: Crime mystery in Norway. (watch enhusiast) help needed

Obviously a terrible shot if the first bullet missed. Question is (and I don't know a lot about guns), but wouldn't the hammer of the gun be closed and not open after it had been fired?

Seems that she was killed and person who placed the gun in her hand cocked the gun

Teeth xrays I assumed were sent to various Dental Assn. and maybe published to local periodicals to match? Gold alone would help as how many actually can afford to do gold fillings and sounds more European than NA thing to do

Awful lot of rounds just to shoot yourself. Also. Sitting on the corner of the bed. Most would sit in the middle. Either in front or at the side.

Why order a meal if you plan on killing yourself.

In my opinion. She was murdered

Good luck

DON

Quote Originally Posted by DON View Post
    . . . . Question is (and I don't know a lot about guns), but wouldn't the hammer of the gun be closed and not open after it had been fired? . . .
    Only if the action failed to cycle.

. . . . Awful lot of rounds just to shoot yourself. . . .
    Centerfire ammo is typically packaged in 50 round boxes (sometimes 40 and there are other variants).
    Follow the Tour. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Obviously a terrible shot if the first bullet missed. Question is (and I don't know a lot about guns), but wouldn't the hammer of the gun be closed and not open after it had been fired?

Seems that she was killed and person who placed the gun in her hand cocked the gun

Teeth xrays I assumed were sent to various Dental Assn. and maybe published to local periodicals to match? Gold alone would help as how many actually can afford to do gold fillings and sounds more European than NA thing to do

Awful lot of rounds just to shoot yourself. Also. Sitting on the corner of the bed. Most would sit in the middle. Either in front or at the side.

Why order a meal if you plan on killing yourself.

In my opinion. She was murdered

Good luck

DON
    Like most pistols (hammer fired) the weapon clocks on its own using the energy of the last fired cartridge. Most pistols of the browning type are usually double action/single action. Some are converted to double action only at the request of purchasing agencys.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Flunky detective work. Missing the Tree for the forest. I always watch my 6... but the only clue I'm offering is P246.

Batteries: the C022 movement uses three SR927W batteries. In other manufacturer nomenclature, these cross to 395/399.
    Renata 370 (all 370 for that matter) are 9.5mm diameter x 2.0 mm thick. The correct 395/399 battery is 9.5mm x 2.7mm thick. The battery is secured by a cell strap...so a thinner battery of the same diameter would work.

Possibility: watchmaker did not have 395s...customer was in a hurry...watchmaker used 370s...but marked 395 so that the correct battery size was notated. Alternative: cheap, thrifty watchmaker only orders 370s...marks them...and uses in lieu of 395s.

I doubt the marking has any significance as to date...or the crime...a rather broad net would have to be cast to determine who the watchmaker was...unless he left a finger print (which is recorded in a database) in the case. Then how many specifics of battery changes do you remember...? "oh yeah...I remember her...that must have been 20 years ago...she paid with a credit card..."

Interesting...maybe she was suicidal and wanted her legacy to be completely mystifying the authorities...

Regards, BG
    Last edited by BenchGuy; June 14th, 2017 at 14:15.
    GRL likes this.

GRL

I can absolutely see that BenchGuy has a good explenation. I thank You for this, and have already written about it to the journalist.

Nevertheless, I know that the police back in 1995 got the explenation that (some) watchmakers did mark the batteries with an initial AND the most important, the date changing the batteries. The watch was "born" in the beginning of 1992, and wouldn`t 395 (if intepreted march 95) be a perfect time to change the batteries after 3 years? The watch can of course had been without power for shorter or longer time - nobody knows (related to a battery change after three years).

But again, I can see that the theory i BenchGuys post is (also) waterproof.

I think that the watch alone never will solve the mystery alone, but if pointing at a certain country or even region, it will be easier to try using the drawing and the lokal press in that particular location.

The countries that COULD be of interest are (because of the few other clues) Belgium, Germany and any country near those two. But this is rather thin.

Thank You
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by GRL View Post
    . . . . Nevertheless, I know that the police back in 1995 got the explenation that (some) watchmakers did mark the batteries with an initial AND . . .
    If you are committed to solving this element of the matter and think that this is still a valid line of inquiry you may with to contact others that can verify the theory or perhaps identify watchmakers with this initial.

Here is a link to a thread with a few groups that may be appropriate to contact in this regard:

Your preferred watch repair shop...

Feel free to update or correct or add to the links as appropriate.
    GRL and BenchGuy like this.
    Follow the Tour. Hidden Content Hidden Content

GRL

[QUOTE=pithy;42864154]If you are committed to solving this element of the matter and think that this is still a valid line of inquiry you may with to contact others that can verify the theory or perhaps identify watchmakers with this initial.

Here is a link to a thread with a few groups that may be appropriate to contact in this regard:

[url]http://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/Your

Great tip. Thanks

I am also thinking about the Serial number of the watch. Does anyone know if Citizen did offer them With random numbers or is there a continuity? And then if a batch With similar numbers would have been sent to the same country-region?

I assume the firearm was checked for barrel and action fouling, indicating having been actually fired?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information