Crystal Fitting....(Challenge accepted) - Page 2
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Crystal Fitting....(Challenge accepted)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Crystal Fitting....(Challenge accepted)

Thank you for this thread! You mentioned that older non-round crystals are often glued on; what kind of glue should be used when replacing one of these?

Try GS hypocement, or any UV glue if it's a mineral one.

G-S makes a crystal cement that is suitable for those type crystals.
    Samantha

The info about the crystal press for acrylic is very helpful. I had only ever seen references to crystal claws - which I own and use - but have found that it often/usually leaves little marks on the crystal. I had wondered how professionals do it without leaving marks, and now I know. Makes a lot of sense really, and I'm glad I came across this thread. Thanks!

The crystal press is the only way I know of to install plastic crystals in the bezel of a hunting case pocket watch. Although the cabinet model is the best, small bench versions appear on eBay quite often.

However, the bezel must be heated so it expands when installing a glass one (easily broken BTW).

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    BB Crystal Catalog courtesy of Mark:

http://www.watchandjewelrysupplies.c...rence_Book.pdf
    thanks for sharing this. just what i need to last the night...

I bought a Sternkrautz press for a fair price. However, I prefer the Horotec press. I replaced some of the dies with tapered Bergeon ones. I like the control the threaded press gives vs. the lever style.

Noob seeking some advice here, ideally from users with some crystal-fitting experience:

Short(er) version of my question:

I have two Junghans Max Bills, a 38mm auto 3-hand and a 40mm auto chrono. I would like to be able to replace the crystals myself on an ongoing basis with generic counterparts, using just a crystal lift tool. Is this reasonably doable for someone with currently no experience, or just a pipe dream? Assume the following:

- I will have found generic replacement crystals that are acceptable to me aesthetically
    - I am willing to pay for a quality lift tool (Bergeon?)
    - As long as there is a reasonable chance of success, then I am willing to risk the possibility of screwing up and ruining my watch
    - It is OK if water resistance is compromised, as long as the replacement can still handle occasional splashes from handwashing and raindrops

More detailed color:

I love the Max Bill designs, but have found the domed plastic crystals to be very fragile, especially on the 3-hand, where a light tap on the edge has created bubble fractures twice within a few months. The chrono crystal seems less fragile, but still it got a small linear crack from a moderate edge bump against a relatively soft plastic chair armrest.

It is at the point where I cannot enjoy wearing the watches, since these blemishes bug me and I really don't want to send them in multiple times a year @ $100 a pop. Resale value is poor and far outweighed by my appreciation for the watches, at least in theory. If I could switch out the crystals at will via lift tool then that would be ideal, even if the shape is not exactly like OEM and the water resistance is minimal. I'd rather not have to open the case back or deal with gaskets (front or back), although I'm open to that if it's necessary and reasonably doable for an amateur.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by scheissestadt; May 4th, 2017 at 13:52.

Quote Originally Posted by scheissestadt View Post
    Noob seeking some advice here, ideally from users with some crystal-fitting experience:Short(er) version of my question:I have two Junghans Max Bills, a 38mm auto 3-hand and a 40mm auto chrono. I would like to be able to replace the crystals myself on an ongoing basis with generic counterparts, using just a crystal lift tool. Is this reasonably doable for someone with currently no experience, or just a pipe dream? Assume the following: I will have found generic replacement crystals that are acceptable to me aesthetically I am willing to pay for a quality lift tool (Bergeon?) As long as there is a reasonable chance of success, then I am willing to risk the possibility of screwing up and ruining my watch It is OK if water resistance is compromised, as long as the replacement can still handle occasional splashes from handwashing and raindrops More detailed color:I love the Max Bill designs, but have found the domed plastic crystals to be very fragile, especially on the 3-hand, where a light tap on the edge has created bubble fractures twice within a few months. The chrono crystal seems less fragile, but still it got a small linear crack from a moderate edge bump against a relatively soft plastic chair armrest.It is at the point where I cannot enjoy wearing the watches, since these blemishes bug me and I really don't want to send them in multiple times a year @ $100 a pop. Resale value is poor and far outweighed by my appreciation for the watches, at least in theory. If I could switch out the crystals at will via lift tool then that would be ideal, even if the shape is not exactly like OEM and the water resistance is minimal. I'd rather not have to open the case back or deal with gaskets (front or back), although I'm open to that if it's necessary and reasonably doable for an amateur.Thanks in advance!
    Crystal lift - Bad.

Inserting tool - Good.
    Follow the Tour. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    Crystal lift - Bad.

Inserting tool - Good.
    Can you please elaborate?

I see your point from earlier in the thread but unless I'm mistaken, crystal lift is the only way to do it without removing the case back and movement. I have seen lifts used successfully so it isn't black and white. Why would a lift be inadequate in my use case?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information