Daytona Pendant Tube Tap
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Aku Ankka

Thread: Daytona Pendant Tube Tap

Daytona Pendant Tube Tap

Hi All, Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I’m attempting to machine my own pseudo diver watch case and I plan to use a 7s26 Seiko movement with a generic Daytona tube and crown (Cousins part C8363 & C8361). Can anyone point me in the direction of a M3x0.30 tap please.

Many Thanks,

Si (Staffordshire, UK)

Re: Daytona Pendant Tube Tap

Readily available from most engineering suppliers like Chronos or on eBay

I doubt you'll find that particular size readily available anywhere. The standard M3 thread has 0.5mm pitch and the fine MF3 has 0.35mm pitch.

If you know the thread is actually M3 x 0.3, that is indeed a specialized size. I'm pretty sure a standard fine pitch M3 x 0.35 would work, but it's not ideal.

Just a word of warning about cheap eBay taps... If you plan on using them more than once on steel, do yourself a favor a get a proper name brand tap set. There are usually two or three taps in a set and they are meant to be used consecutively one after the other. The first one cuts the initial thread, the second one cuts a little deeper and so on. The finishing tap will give you the final dimensions. Using a set of increasing taps makes threading stainless much easier than just using a single tap.
    Michael Maddan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aku Ankka View Post
    I doubt you'll find that particular size readily available anywhere. The standard M3 thread has 0.5mm pitch and the fine MF3 has 0.35mm pitch.

If you know the thread is actually M3 x 0.3, that is indeed a specialized size. I'm pretty sure a standard fine pitch M3 x 0.35 would work, but it's not ideal.

Just a word of warning about cheap eBay taps... If you plan on using them more than once on steel, do yourself a favor a get a proper name brand tap set. There are usually two or three taps in a set and they are meant to be used consecutively one after the other. The first one cuts the initial thread, the second one cuts a little deeper and so on. The finishing tap will give you the final dimensions. Using a set of increasing taps makes threading stainless much easier than just using a single tap.
    eBay is full of M3 taps in 0.3 pitch - M2.5 to M10 HSS Right hand Thread Tap Select size | eBay
    They are not even remotely hard to get hold of. I agree the quality of some taps may be questionable but the linked one is a reasonable quality HSS

Thanks all for the info. I agree with comments on eBay taps Aku, and I suspect that the link to the M3x0.3 will actually be 0.35 pitch but I will give it a try, but thanks to all for the replies.

Cheers,
    Si

Order the tap for the 6.0 mm crown:
    https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/th...ls?code=R44748
    Regards, BG

Cheaper from JulesBorel in the US...but maybe not after postage and customs...?

Thanks BenchGuy, I hadn't spotted that one:)

Cheers,
    Si

Thread Information