Escaping Bits Question - Page 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Escaping Bits Question

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    DON

Re: Escaping Bits Question

Many many years ago. I was working on a Tudor day-day when a tiny spring sprung and went flying. It wasn't part of the original ETA movement, but a Rolex part, so I knew I needed to find it or pay Rolex to repair the watch.

I found the part after an hour of searching the floor

What I did was grab a section of Saran wrap and laid it over the top of the movement and my hands and worked through it. When the spring popped a second time. It hit the Saran wrap

That was the only time I did this. Lot more careful now and only lost one small part since then.

Get a large fridge magnet (and demagnetizer). Makes it easier to find metal parts

DON

Re: Escaping Bits Question

When adding clutch spring to nitro remote control clutches, these things a fidly, fling everywhere, but not that tiny..... I've often just used a normal clear freezer bag. Just work inside that. Generally clear enough. But not sure how well you'd see with a loupe through the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don:
    Saran Wrap is a great idea. A demagnitizer has been on order now for several weeks (from China) and I've made a great pickup magnet with a thin strip of steel and a row of rare earth magnets. It works exceptionally well. I wasn't having much luck with small magnets. Lost bits always seem to find the gaps between the floorboards and a 6" long magnet is more efficient. I've also discovered it's much better to raise the magnet off the floor 1/16" or so with stick on plastic feet.

Since I've started using all these ideas, I didn't have any trouble finding the screw that got away from me 2 days ago.?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2