Escaping Bits Question
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Escaping Bits Question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Escaping Bits Question

I'm learning how to do surgical work on my watches.

Every so often while setting micro screws, one of my spastic moves results in them flicking away (even with screw setting tweezers). I have a 2'x4' surface and use a generous sized cupboard mat that prevents bouncing 99% of the time (one of those soft rubber things with perforations in them).

1% of the time they'll miss the table's edge and it's hands, knees and a flashlight looking for DNA sized pieces in my lap or on the floor.

Other than an enclosed cabinet with sealed rubber gloves, can anyone tell me how a guy with poor aim can insure his bits stay on the work surface?

My knees would thank you.

Re: Escaping Bits Question

Good lighting around your desk/workbench.
    Good loupes (for an example : x3 for most of the work, x10-12 for much precise things, i.e pallet oiling), from a good brand, Asco, Bergeon, Seitz or equivalent.
    Well prepared tools: sharpened screwdrivers ends, good tweezers.

And practice practice, to get a feeling of the right amount of force needed for the tools and parts you're handling ... :)
    You'll prefer having the parts to fall directly onto the mat because you're handling these too softly, over any part flying into lalaland because your grip is too strong.

My knees would thank you.
    You definitely won't work in the x industry then !
    Last edited by Deli; 3 Days Ago at 22:48.

I Don't know how to prevent it but to save my knees I have duct taped a fridge magnet to a golf shaft so that the magnet in touching to floor and slowly sweep in grids . I find 99% of missing screws and springs using it plus some I did not know I lost.
    To start I used such as below with sides to work on
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Molliedooker; 3 Days Ago at 00:23.

Good tweezers are a must. Once you have the, spend time just picking up and setting down various small parts that don't matter if they get lost. Keep doing this (not necessarily all at one sitting) until you get very comfortable handling the different parts. Then you should be in fairly good shape for handling parts on movements that you're working on.
    Samantha
    Last edited by Samantha; 2 Days Ago at 00:48.
    maillchort likes this.

Wow! Great suggestions. Thank you all. I'm going to go over these and build up a flotilla of devices/techniques that'll reduce my trips to the floor.

A special thanks to you, Deli for that terrific link. You people made my day.

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
    Good tweezers are a must. Once you have the, spend time just picking up and setting down various small parts that don't matter if they get lost. Keep doing this (not necessarily all at one sitting) until you get very comfortable handling the different parts. THen you should be in fairly good shape for handling parts on movements that you're working on.
    Samantha
    For extra fun, try picking up and placing all the jewel screws in an Elgin 670 movement, or picking up up unset cap jewels that are lying flat side down!

EDIT: the second one is as much fun as picking up halves of peanuts in your Kung Pao Chicken with chopsticks!
    Last edited by GeneJockey; 2 Days Ago at 20:48.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

Hidden Content

Update:
    That shallow black rectangular dish with the covered WIP box on it are my practice containers. That suggestion alone should save me money of time under the table.

See how the floor is lit now as well? I took it upln myself to install one of those clip-on 110v LCD desk lamps underneath the desktop. Finding things now should be a lot easier. Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

maillchort likes this.

So are the contents in the 'highest grade 'box for consuming when all hope of finding an item is lost?

Hahaha No, those are watchbands and their parts. It's original contents were consumed long ago. Can't remember if it was for something that all hope had been been lost over, or just another great weekend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information