ETA 2824-2 dial and hands
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fixer29

Thread: ETA 2824-2 dial and hands

ETA 2824-2 dial and hands

Last year I purchased a brand new ETA 2824-2 movement and a Miyota 8205 movement. I was going to try my hand at building a watch for myself. After messing with re-casing an old watch I realized I'm horrible at putting hands on. I have a case that sort of looks like a Hamilton Khaki case, it's almost the same size and color. I want to try again but I need a dial. I measured the case and it looks like it takes a 26mm dial. I think it would be a small watch but I like the size of my Hamilton. Any tips on where I can get the right dial and hands and which ones to order? When I get all the parts together is there anyone on the forum willing to do the hands for me? I'm willing to pay and even toss in the brand new Miyota movement. The only thing stopping me is the hands, I really messed them up last time I tried and the ETA movement wasn't cheap. Also will a 2824 dial work with a 2824-2 movement? Is the only difference the date window?

Thanks for any help and tips!!

Michael
    Last edited by mharris660; 1 Day Ago at 08:24.
    I think Colonel Sanders is going to be named Secretary of Nutrition.

Re: ETA 2824-2 dial and hands

The hands are 1.50, 0.90 and 0.25 mm for the hour, minute and second hands respectively. Depends where you are as to where to buy them from, but I know Ofrei do the hands and dials if you are in the US? I'm sure any watchmaker would be able to help fit them for you. Depends where you live, but a quick search on google maps should find a local one.
    mharris660 likes this.

Thank you! Yes I live in the US and I used Ofrei for the parts. I found some dials and hands there as well as a better case I think. When I bought the movement I had read about making sure I pulled the stem out to the hour set position before pushing the indent. If I do it wrong I can mess something up. I did that on a hamilton pocket watch once. Learned my lesson the hard way on that.

Yeah, usually it just means you won't be able to get the stem back in again, but I'm sure it is possible to break something if you were really trying.

As I understand it I pull the stem to it's time setting position and slightly press the button while pulling the stem out. It should slide out when the button is pressed deep enough. To put it back I just carefully put the stem back without pressing the button. Does that sound correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer29 View Post
    Yeah, usually it just means you won't be able to get the stem back in again, but I'm sure it is possible to break something if you were really trying.
    Last edited by mharris660; 15 Hours Ago at 02:44.

Quote Originally Posted by mharris660 View Post
    As I understand it I pull the stem to it's time setting position and slightly press the button while pulling the stem out. It should slide out when the button is pressed deep enough. To put it back I just carefully put the stem back without pressing the button. Does that sound correct?
    That is in my experience the best way to do an eta 2824 stem removal. Just remember when reinserting to turn the stem while inserting so the castle wheel lines up
    2016 Sinn EZM3F Mission Timer
    1977 Timex Milspec Custom Conversion
    1966 Timex 600 Skindiver
    1969 Benrus US Military Issued

"I don't always agree with everybody but when I do it's because I'm Right"
    Dirtvictim 2011

Thread Information