ETA Powermatic 80 question... - Page 2
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: ETA Powermatic 80 question...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    lvt

Re: ETA Powermatic 80 question...

I think I would stay with the old ETA movements.

Sent from my LG-H630 using Tapatalk
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Some people said it has plastic parts. I don't know if they are really plastic or new material that people can't identify and mistake it for plastic. I ordered Mido Ocean Star Captain V powered by Mido Calibe 80 movement. I was concerned about this issue and wrote to Mido about it. Here is the reply from Mido:

This is the reply from Mido:

Hello Jon,

Thank you for your message. We check with our Product department and get back to you as soon as possible.

Have a nice day

MIDO Team

Hello Jon,

Thank you for your patience.

There is no plastic part in our Mido Caliber 80 and the running time is equal to the ETA standard movement. Mido movement with silicon balance-spring will be even more performing and during more time than any other movement without silicon balance-spring.

All Mido automatic movements have an unlimited running time as long as the watch is well-maintained.
    Some of historical MIDO watches from the 20’s are still in good working condition. Furthermore, Mido ensure one additional year of warranty for all COSC certified watches, that means 3 years of warranty for chronometers.

Regarding the after sales service, each Mido watch is serviceable, repairable. We guarantee spare parts and repair of your watch 10 years after the last date of production of the model.

We hope this information will help you.

We stay at your disposal for any further request.

Have a nice day!

Kind regards

MIDO Team

The reply made me relieved. But I don't know whether powermatic 80 used by tissot and caliber 80 used by mido are similar.
    kousikbarik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Asia View Post
    Some people said it has plastic parts. I don't know if they are really plastic or new material that people can't identify and mistake it for plastic. I ordered Mido Ocean Star Captain V powered by Mido Calibe 80 movement. I was concerned about this issue and wrote to Mido about it. Here is the reply from Mido:

This is the reply from Mido:

Hello Jon,

Thank you for your message. We check with our Product department and get back to you as soon as possible.

Have a nice day

MIDO Team

Hello Jon,

Thank you for your patience.

There is no plastic part in our Mido Caliber 80 and the running time is equal to the ETA standard movement. Mido movement with silicon balance-spring will be even more performing and during more time than any other movement without silicon balance-spring.

All Mido automatic movements have an unlimited running time as long as the watch is well-maintained.
    Some of historical MIDO watches from the 20’s are still in good working condition. Furthermore, Mido ensure one additional year of warranty for all COSC certified watches, that means 3 years of warranty for chronometers.

Regarding the after sales service, each Mido watch is serviceable, repairable. We guarantee spare parts and repair of your watch 10 years after the last date of production of the model.

We hope this information will help you.

We stay at your disposal for any further request.

Have a nice day!

Kind regards

MIDO Team

The reply made me relieved. But I don't know whether powermatic 80 used by tissot and caliber 80 used by mido are similar.
    Theyre similar of course
    The tissot powermatic uses plastic escapement
    Mido and longines have it with normal escapement
    Br
    Emso

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
    Experience on watch movements repair:

modern swiss movements: 5
    japan movements: 3
    older movements: 2
    chinese movements: 0

According to above experience grades(smallest 0-5 highest) my advice can be incorect or completely out of mind, so beware and take my advices with caution if the grade is low!!!
    Hidden Content
    NOT FOR SALE !!!

Recently purchased powermatic 80 from AD. High quality Synthetic material used. Out of box, accuracy was around +9sec ( non cosc version). Took it into AD, they regulated +3 sec a day in 10 mins. After few days of wear , accuracy is between +1 to 2 sec a day. Movement can be easily regulated, servicable too. No worries at all. Its next generation movement. Thanks.

Recently purchased TISSOT powermatic 80 from AD. High quality Synthetic material used. Out of box, accuracy was around +9sec ( non cosc version). Took it into AD, they regulated +3 sec a day in 10 mins. After few days of wear , accuracy is between +1 to 2 sec a day. Movement can be easily regulated, servicable too. No worries at all. Its next generation movement. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by kousikbarik View Post
    Recently purchased TISSOT powermatic 80 from AD. High quality Synthetic material used. Out of box, accuracy was around +9sec ( non cosc version). Took it into AD, they regulated +3 sec a day in 10 mins. After few days of wear , accuracy is between +1 to 2 sec a day. Movement can be easily regulated, servicable too. No worries at all. Its next generation movement. Thanks.
    [/QUOTE]
    To say that its a next generation movement at first it has to prove itself.
    Other eta workhorses designs like 2824,2836,2892,7750 etc are in bussiness for years without too much changes of design or materials
    Their patents are long gone.
    Lets wait for about 10 years and we will speak about the " the next generation movement"
    At the moment only movement on the market longer than the powermatic which has plastic escapement were swatch 2841& c01.211 (variant of lemania5100) used by tissot also.
    Do you know that tissot proposes exchange of c01.211 movement instead repairing after 5-7 years when interval comes.
    Personally have seen a lot of the plastic escapements so far and i was not so impressed, believe me

Br
    Emso
    kousikbarik likes this.
    Experience on watch movements repair:

modern swiss movements: 5
    japan movements: 3
    older movements: 2
    chinese movements: 0

According to above experience grades(smallest 0-5 highest) my advice can be incorect or completely out of mind, so beware and take my advices with caution if the grade is low!!!
    Hidden Content
    NOT FOR SALE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by kousikbarik View Post
    . . . . Its next generation movement. . . .
    Sure?

Quote Originally Posted by emso View Post
    . . . . At the moment only movement on the market longer than the powermatic which has plastic escapement were swatch 2841& c01.211 (variant of lemania5100) used by tissot also. . . .
    I know - you missed your nap time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Follow the Tour. Hidden Content Hidden Content

May be..Do not any experience in watchmaking. Seen some posts earlier that Powermatic 80 can not be regulated or can not be serviced or repaired. Tissot AD regulated in 10 mins with special tools. The movement was introduced around 4 years back. Using powermatic since last one year without any issue. Service charges are same as eta 2824. I did not notice any issue so far. Agree with you like movement to be proved after 10 years. As per Tissot AD, High quality Synthetic material is used. After all , i am pretty happy with any Swiss made eta movement. I have never seen such accurate auto so far, believe me.

The issue as far as I can see, is that plastic parts do not last. The idea behind this is the self-lubricating nature of the part, but what will this look like after twenty years? Fifty? Obviously it will be replaced and I do remember somebody at the Swatch service centre mentioning that the wheel and pallet fork is always replaced when doing a CTR. Until they decide to stop making the plastic part, and then there will be issues with the degradation of said parts.

lvt

The Swatch group sold millions watches with that movement a year and only a dozen of WIS questioned about the plastic parts 😂

Sent from my LG-H630 using Tapatalk
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information