ETA Powermatic 80 question... - Page 3
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: ETA Powermatic 80 question...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: ETA Powermatic 80 question...

Quote Originally Posted by kousikbarik View Post
    May be..Do not any experience in watchmaking. Seen some posts earlier that Powermatic 80 can not be regulated or can not be serviced or repaired. Tissot AD regulated in 10 mins with special tools. The movement was introduced around 4 years back. Using powermatic since last one year without any issue. Service charges are same as eta 2824. I did not notice any issue so far. Agree with you like movement to be proved after 10 years. As per Tissot AD, High quality Synthetic material is used. After all , i am pretty happy with any Swiss made eta movement. I have never seen such accurate auto so far, believe me.
    Ok below is the special tool you mention
    Oh and i forgot only authorised repair centers can have it.
    Oh and yes my opinions are based on my experience on the mentioned movement.
    P.s pitty tottaly forgot that one
    kousikbarik likes this.
    Experience on watch movements repair:

modern swiss movements: 5
    japan movements: 3
    older movements: 2
    chinese movements: 0

According to above experience grades(smallest 0-5 highest) my advice can be incorect or completely out of mind, so beware and take my advices with caution if the grade is low!!!
    Hidden Content
    NOT FOR SALE !!!

So far 4 watches in powermatic movement in my collections 1. Tissot Courtier 2. Tissot T Classic Tradition 3. Mido Ocean Star Captain 4. Rado Coupe Classic R22876013
    Very happy with this movement.

You are right special tool. Repeating once again : No plastic materials are used in Tissot , Mido and Rado. Powermatic movements can be repaired, serviced and regulated ( as per conversation with Swatch Service Center)

Thanks.

So far 4 watches in powermatic movement in my collections 1. Tissot Courtier 2. Tissot T Classic Tradition 3. Mido Ocean Star Captain 4. Rado Coupe Classic R22876013
    Very happy with this movement.

You are right special tool. Repeating once again : No plastic materials are used in Tissot , Mido and Rado. Powermatic movements can be repaired, serviced and regulated ( as per conversation with Swatch Service Center)

Thanks.
    From the Tissot/Certina Powermatic 80 technical bulletin:

"The Powermatic 80 presents the following characteristics:
    - An extended spring barrel with 80 hours of power reserve
    - Synthetic escapement
    - New adjusting rate system of balance hairspring
    - High level accuracy"

There may be different movements using the Powermatic name, but clearly some have synthetic (plastic) escapements. The same technical bulletin states that:

"Please note that COSC movements can only be adjusted and not serviced!"

The escapement also has specific rules for cleaning it (not to be put in an ultrasonic machine) and uses a specific lubricant. This is also shown in the tech guide for the TISSOT POWERMATIC 80.111.

Cheers, Al
    lvt likes this.

1. Powermatic is a serviceable movement. In Swatch Service Center, I have seen rate for service charges for Tissot Powermatic movements are displayed on notice board.
    2. The EW and pallet fork are "synthetic", on both Tissot CHR (23j) and regular (23j) versions
    3. It needs a special tool to regulate the watch
    4. In technical specs, it does not say that they should not be washed and it says there is special oil for the pallet fork.
    Thanks.

1. Powermatic is a serviceable movement. In Swatch Service Center, I have seen rate for service charges for Tissot Powermatic movements are displayed on notice board.
    2. The EW and pallet fork are "synthetic", on both Tissot CHR (23j) and regular (23j) versions
    4. In technical specs, it does not say that they should not be washed and it says there is special oil for the pallet fork.
    Thanks.
    Please note that i am not a watchmaker. Whatever information collected from Swatch Service Center, I shared.
    Last edited by kousikbarik; June 17th, 2017 at 18:31.

Thanks.
    "Powermatic 80" is a tissot brandname for this movement, which has it roots in the eta 2824.
    as mido and tissot are the same company i guess they use the same movement.
    On those i guarantee that pallet fork(latest the oscilating weight too) and escapement are plastic.
    Longines has a version of this movement but with normal pallet fork and escapement and its name is Lxxx(Exchange xxx with numbers as i forgot the numbers).

Yes it is a serviceable movement on which you need to change the escapement and pallet fork.
    But with the price they come from factory its a total waste of time to repair it.
    Oh and yes the escapement and pallet should not be cleaned in the machine
    Why?
    Because every cleaning machine has drying cycle on which a heater using hot air dries the parts from the cleaning fluids.
    Hot air and plastic do not agree too well.

Br
    Emso
    kousikbarik likes this.
    Experience on watch movements repair:

modern swiss movements: 5
    japan movements: 3
    older movements: 2
    chinese movements: 0

According to above experience grades(smallest 0-5 highest) my advice can be incorect or completely out of mind, so beware and take my advices with caution if the grade is low!!!
    Hidden Content
    NOT FOR SALE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by emso View Post
    Thanks.
    "Powermatic 80" is a tissot brandname for this movement, which has it roots in the eta 2824.
    as mido and tissot are the same company i guess they use the same movement.
    On those i guarantee that pallet fork(latest the oscilating weight too) and escapement are plastic.
    Longines has a version of this movement but with normal pallet fork and escapement and its name is Lxxx(Exchange xxx with numbers as i forgot the numbers).

Yes it is a serviceable movement on which you need to change the escapement and pallet fork.
    But with the price they come from factory its a total waste of time to repair it.
    Oh and yes the escapement and pallet should not be cleaned in the machine
    Why?
    Because every cleaning machine has drying cycle on which a heater using hot air dries the parts from the cleaning fluids.
    Hot air and plastic do not agree too well.

Br
    Emso
    Thanks for sharing detailed information. But the service cost are same as eta 2824 ( as per Tissot Service Center)

No idea about repair cost.

Thanks.
    I am a watchmaker - I have the specs I received from Swatch group in front of me...

I also never indicated that the escapement could not be washed, only that putting it in an ultrasonic is prohibited. They state that just dipping it in a cleaning solvent is sufficient to clean it...
    kousikbarik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    I am a watchmaker - I have the specs I received from Swatch group in front of me...

I also never indicated that the escapement could not be washed, only that putting it in an ultrasonic is prohibited. They state that just dipping it in a cleaning solvent is sufficient to clean it...
    Thanks for update. Nice discussion.In summary, Tissot Powermatic can be regulated, serviced and repaired.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information