Thread: ETA quartz movement won't start

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    91

    ETA quartz movement won't start

    I have an 80's French watch and was told the movement was damaged when I last went for a battery replacement. I was lucky enough to find the exact movement available from Ofrei for $8.00!

    I just replaced the movement, uneventful. Put in a brand new Renata battery. It won't run.

    I understand these must be "started." Is that so? How is it done?

    Thanks,

    jv

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,630

    Re: ETA quartz movement won't start

    You don't have to start it. Test the battery and test the coil and the circuit of the movement. If you don't know how to do this, pay a professional to do it for you.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    91

    Re: ETA quartz movement won't start

    That's not a very helpful response. You should have figured that if I'm swapping movements myself, I'm not interested in "paying a professional to do it for me."

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5

    Re: ETA quartz movement won't start

    I am but a simple watch noob, and thus am completely unqualified to say anything, but it'd be a good idea to clean the movement and then use a movement tester if your battery is definitely fresh. Might want to try another battery just in case.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    618

    Re: ETA quartz movement won't start

    Well, I wonder what do you expect... An essay on how to do this? I sometimes wonder how people manage to read just the "pay a professional to do it" out of something like this and moan about unhelpful responses. You could have asked for a pointer about how one goes about doing these checks, if you're unable to find that out by yourself.

    On the point of who should have figured out what, I think you should have figured out you might need to provide some useful info (like type and make of the movement), to allow people to help you. You've only told us what make your battery is, which is just useless.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    91

    Re: ETA quartz movement won't start

    Please allow me to make a few comments on this.

    First, please excuse me if I've wandered into the wrong forum. I assumed this was a forum for those who work, make and repair watches, either operatively or speculatively. I'm a hobbyist, a trained, degreed electrical engineer who has always been fascinated by and interested in mechanical contrivances: watches, clocks, machine tools, steam engines, and the like. I am an amateur machinist and metalworker, film-photographer (and darkroom artist), scientist, and yes, I guess, watchmaker, albeit nascent.

    I had a very sour experience with a so-called professional watchmaker in pursuing a repair to this watch, which is admittedly inexpensive and inauspicious, however, as it often the case, it hold sentimental value for me. Even though I provided a new movement, the pro wanted a very vaguely expressed "upwards of two or three hours" at "upwards of $100 per hour" of "watchmakers time" to swap the movement. He refused to put even a firm hourly rate, or an upper limit on it. I declined the repair. I had the movement, new and supposedly good, from Ofrei's.

    It took me about 30 minutes to swap them, never having done it before. I had a kit of tools given by a friend, which included screwdrivers, a case holder, movement holder, "Presto" hand remover, lots of different tweezers, etc. I happen to have a loupe, binocular headset magnifier, and binocular microscope.

    The movement didn't run after the swap, with a new battery in it. It's an ETA 555.415. It seems to be a pretty good piece.

    I googled the topic, and came upon several threads that mentioned that some quartz movements need be started, by shorting something on the movement. I don't know! Sounded good to me!

    So, based on previous experience here, thought I'd pose the question to the foremost authority on the web. Boy, I guess I was wrong! I am absolutely appalled at the kurt, even nasty, dismissive responses I've gotten, save Theaetetus.

    Wow, are you serious? I was only asking if anyone knew anything about this. I can send the movement back and get another, I guess.

    Is this a watchmaker's forum? Or maybe I don't understand what a watchmaker's forum is.

    Is anyone aware of this concept, of 'starting' a quartz movement, or is it myth? I'd love to know.

    Thanks,

    jv

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,093

    Re: ETA quartz movement won't start

    It's been my experience with ETA 555 or 955 movements that they start right up once a battery is installed. Never had to "short" any contacts. I've had to do this on some Fossil watches.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    618

    Re: ETA quartz movement won't start

    Quote Originally Posted by jviss View Post
    Please allow me to make a few comments on this.
    First, please excuse me if I've wandered into the wrong forum. I assumed this was a forum for those who work, make and repair watches, either operatively or speculatively. I'm a hobbyist, a trained, degreed electrical engineer who has always been fascinated by and interested in mechanical contrivances: watches, clocks, machine tools, steam engines, and the like. I am an amateur machinist and metalworker, film-photographer (and darkroom artist), scientist, and yes, I guess, watchmaker, albeit nascent.
    So? Does your self-description bear any relevance? You've got a perfectly valid to-the-point response, and instead of working from there you decided to simply dismiss it as an unhelpful answer, apparently because it appeared uncourteous to you.

    Quote Originally Posted by jviss View Post
    I had a very sour experience with a so-called professional watchmaker in pursuing a repair to this watch, which is admittedly inexpensive and inauspicious, however, as it often the case, it hold sentimental value for me. Even though I provided a new movement, the pro wanted a very vaguely expressed "upwards of two or three hours" at "upwards of $100 per hour" of "watchmakers time" to swap the movement. He refused to put even a firm hourly rate, or an upper limit on it. I declined the repair. I had the movement, new and supposedly good, from Ofrei's.
    Nobody said you should absolutely have a watchmaker swap your movement. You were told what you can check to see what is wrong, and that you should have a professional check it if you can't do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by jviss View Post
    The movement didn't run after the swap, with a new battery in it. It's an ETA 555.415. It seems to be a pretty good piece.

    I googled the topic, and came upon several threads that mentioned that some quartz movements need be started, by shorting something on the movement. I don't know! Sounded good to me!


    Wow, are you serious? I was only asking if anyone knew anything about this. I can send the movement back and get another, I guess.
    Well, you could have asked if the 555.415 needs starting, preferably in the title of your post, this gives people something to work with. With a generic question you can only get a generic answer. Garbage in, garbage out. By the way, I can't find any technical documentation on this movement on the eta customer service.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Sapphire Coast NSW Australia.
    Posts
    3,446

    Re: ETA quartz movement won't start

    I feel for you Nviss
    It was suggested to me that I might ponder taking a question to the watch making forum by a moderator here on WUS, and as this particular topic had some relevance to mine, I thought I might try to glean some info from this post. Reading this, I think I'll take my question to another forum. Perhaps there, they won't sound so angry, frustrated and insecure ...... (insert adjective)'s. But then I remember having received this self righteous, pseudo intellect emote here on WUS before. Sounds like little frustrated men behind big keyboards who are in need of something else to take their frustration out on. I have pity on them, for all of their horological knowledge and keyboardship, they exhibit the same amount of empathy, compassion and understanding held by the said ETA movement that just won't start. That is, none.

  10. #10
    Member lysanderxiii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"
    Posts
    8,148

    Re: ETA quartz movement won't start

    There are a number of reasons a quartz will not start after a movement swap. Most have to do with improper fitting of the hands, some are fatal.....
    Parit enim conversatio contemptum; raritas conciliat admirationem.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •