First Crystal replacement...SUCCESS!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve0
  • 1 Post By Steve0
  • 1 Post By Steve0

Thread: First Crystal replacement...SUCCESS!

First Crystal replacement...SUCCESS!

I’ve had my Orange Monster around 5 years and got it off the bay for a very low price due to the monster-sized gouge in the hardlex crystal. (see Pics ) Some time later I asked my watch repair guy if this deep of a gouge could be polished out. Nope! So I kept wearing it.

Not long ago I made the decision to try my hand at servicing my own watches and learn to do it all over time.

Baby steps first.

Get some watch tools - check. Stay at a Holiday Inn - check. Open a $5 quartz watch, pull the crown and stem, remove the movement, remove and replace the hands - check.

Easy....Swap a gouged hardlex crystal with a new Sapphire crystal??? - uhhh, slightly intimidating.

I watched some tutorial videos on YouTube Watch Repair Channel and Cwazy Dreams of Watches and then one in particular from Minitwatch entitled “Seiko SRP309 “Orange Monster” AR Coated Double Dome Sapphire Crystal Swap + Tiny Cookie”.

Watched it 3 times, set up my work table with a block of time, no interruptions, tools, a Diet Pepsi and went for it. Going VERY slowly and carefully I managed a successful swap in about an hour. The bulk of the time was consumed in cleaning the case after popping out the gouged hardlex crystal. The two tools that were the most useful were a pair of 3.5X BIG EYES Dollar Tree glasses and a bamboo BBQ skewer.

The other tools used were the crystal press, tweezers, petri dish to hold the movement, micro fiber cloth and a SUPER bright headlamp. The BBQ skewer was very handy at pegging the soap scum, fish slime, fish poop and crud off the case around the bezel ( which stayed on ) and the crystal gasket ( which also stayed on & in good shape). I wish I had gotten an ultrasonic cleaner already ( now on order ) before doing this crystal replacement but will go right back into the Monster for a case cleaning, sans crystal and movement once the cleaner arrives.

My Monster is super gunky from being worn over 5 years in fresh and salt water fishing adventures - mostly Alaska Salmon and Halibut fishing annually and weekly locally. I don’t baby my watches and only have a couple of Sunday drivers. Anyway after this successful swap out, I now have greater confidence going forwards in learning basic watch service. After another night at the Holiday Inn, I will tackle hairspring replacement and setting, plus some rub in jewel work.....NOT!

The pics show the before - gouged hardlex and after installed Sapphire crystal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

oso2276 likes this.

Re: First Crystal replacement...SUCCESS!

Awesome 👍

Enviado desde mi Moto G (5) Plus mediante Tapatalk

Good job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks! I was anxious going in and stoked coming out. I knew my watch repair guy could bail me out if I goofed up...but now I'm confident to do this repair and keep going forward.
    jdrichard likes this.

5000 bucks in tools later and you will be able to burnish a balance staff pivot:)

Quote Originally Posted by jdrichard View Post
    5000 bucks in tools later and you will be able to burnish a balance staff pivot:)

Yeah....I am afraid that could happen. Lol!
    jdrichard likes this.

Thread Information