Future generations

Thread: Future generations

Future generations

I am new to watches so apologies in advance for the newbie questions.

I recently bought a watch that is more than 100 years old. My watchmaker said the movement (Longines 15.26) needs some work, but good quality parts are hard to find. He said that most likely any other 15.26 movements I could find for parts would have problems as well, because in general most people do not have their watches serviced on a regular basis, and they all tend to wear out in the same places over time (i.e. the particular parts that are worn down on my movement are likely to be worn down on other movements as well)

This got me thinking about the future. I would like to buy one or two nice watches that I could maintain regularly and pass down to future generations. Planning ahead, would it make sense to try to buy spare parts now and keep them for future generations' use? Obviously in the short-term the company could provide replacement parts, but 100 (or 300, or 500) years from now it is perhaps unlikely the company will even exist, let alone the particular parts that are needed. (I own a sixties Constellation and it has been difficult just finding the correct parts for that).

So, the question is: if you were going to buy a watch with the idea of preserving it for many years into the future, what would you do? (Aside from just keep it in a box and not wear it, which defeats the whole point). Would you buy a spare movement or two for future generations to use for parts? Are there particular movement parts that tend to wear out more quickly than others? Is it even possible to buy these parts from manufacturers separately?

Aside from the movement, what could be done to preserve the case and the dial? I assume it is wise to limit polishing, for example, and avoid water. Any other thoughts? Even with the best care and planning, how long would you think a watch could last in good, usable condition?

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated- I look forward to learning from those who know more about this!

PS if anyone knows where I could buy NOS 15.26 parts please let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lvt

Re: Future generations

Not much that you can do.

Just enjoy the watches before thinking about passing it to the next generation.

But how do you know for sure that the next generation would appreciate your watches? Better leave behind something more significant like a house or a large sum in your bank account.

Sent from my LG-H630 using Tapatalk
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

In the future anyone can 3D print metal parts at home. A few of the pieces in modern movements are plastic today, and can probably be replaced even more easily.

Now, AUTHENTIC and ORIGINAL parts, I'm guessing, will always be a problem for any brand, or just very expensive that I would most likely look for unbranded spares anyway.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I'm in a place where I don't know where I am! --Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Embridioum View Post
    In the future anyone can 3D print metal parts at home. A few of the pieces in modern movements are plastic today, and can probably be replaced even more easily.

Now, AUTHENTIC and ORIGINAL parts, I'm guessing, will always be a problem for any brand, or just very expensive that I would most likely look for unbranded spares anyway.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
    That's your answer.

Just recently read an article about buying car parts online that are 3D printed. No inventory, made to order.

Wear an it and enjoy it.
    In dog beers I've only had one.

Thread Information