Getting Started: Guide to Watchmaking Tools - Page 11
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Getting Started: Guide to Watchmaking Tools

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Re: Getting Started: Guide to Watchmaking Tools

Quote Originally Posted by AussieGuy View Post
    Thank you! I've looked at their catalogue, and they offer a small watch repair kit in a nice box. Is this good quality, or is it a repackaged Chinese kit?

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk
    Sorry mate I don't know. They have a Melbourne number give them a ring and ask.
    I buy individual items . You want "good" cheap.
    I bought originally from them.
    Basic screwdriver kit plus extra blades for the smallest (yellow). Number 5 Venus tweezers, oiler (fine), two aluminium movement holders , Hand blower, , basic number 5 loupe (originally I taped to a pair of old glasses and it did the job.)
    Total cost was somewhere around $70/100 aud . That's about $50/100.USD
    For extra light I used a cheap LED head band .
    To clean I used Naptha (Shellite) from Bunnings and did manually using fine artist brushes from a hobby shop as well as some kids plasticine .
    The only items I lashed out on initially was the moebius lubricants and polywatch.

From my original Chinese eBay kit I kept case openers,hammer, band and spring bar removers and binned the rest. For screw back cases I use a rubber ball with masking tape wound around with sticky side on outside. If I could not open or close the watch back (rare snap on )I would wander down to a mister minute in the mall and ask nicely.
    Initially to change crystal I would take to Lebanda and ask ( usually $20 including glass)
    prasitw likes this.

Do not overlook another swiss brand. AF Brand is good quality and cheaper than the other swiss brand watch tools. AF brand made in France and Swiss. I recommend open case knife and small set of screwdriver.

Nice, I just started and have the same setup. My problem is the lighting. Incandescent light cast lots of shadows so looking at two light sources in combination. Incandescent and florescent. I viewed lots of You Tube video's (Mark Lovick seems the best) but lighting is not covered much.

HP-1300 good stuff
    9010-good stuff
    you will need 9020 most likely as well
    I like 9020 for lubricating a mainspring (not new) after inserting it. There is sort of a capillary action which sucks it up. Some will prefer a thicker grease instead.
    As for the barrell wall I would follow manufacturer's recommendations. I will not even mention what I often use here.

I have also used PML stem grease to lubricate the 4 flat surfaces on the stem as well as the pilot. It is really silky smooth.
    Last edited by jcoffin1981; 3 Weeks Ago at 17:31.

I understand the manufacturer recommended lubricants for watches but there has to be generic oils that work just as well.
    I just use moebus HP 1300 for the jewels, Novostar barrel grease for the main spring and Newall 30-341 for stem and winding gears. I think the HP 1300 might be a replacement for Moebus D5 but not sure. I don't use any lube on the pallet fork pivots or on the escapement wheel teeth but I see many watch repair folks recommended it. I think Mark Lovick used D5 but I'm not sure.
    Any recommended lubes for different areas would sure be appreciated. I did find a good schematic for Seiko recommended lubricants but I have to compare their brands to the viscosity charts for comparison non brand Seiko lubricants.

You lucky lucky people,i want to start watch repairing and have an excellent candidate in a Raketa 2609 HA.I have already
    started tooling up to try to get it running(no obvious cause) however,i have one snagette in benign essential tremor which
    haunts me constantly and is particularly prevalant when concentrating on any small motor actions. I can easily imagine what might happen as i remove the balance cock and suffer a spasm that propels the thing across the room.......
    Crazy? what me? Well i must be,but still want to have a go............

Quote Originally Posted by cheapwatchdude View Post
    You lucky lucky people,i want to start watch repairing and have an excellent candidate in a Raketa 2609 HA.I have already
    started tooling up to try to get it running(no obvious cause) however,i have one snagette in benign essential tremor which
    haunts me constantly and is particularly prevalant when concentrating on any small motor actions. I can easily imagine what might happen as i remove the balance cock and suffer a spasm that propels the thing across the room.......
    Crazy? what me? Well i must be,but still want to have a go............
    Betablockers?

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Thread Information