Getting Started: Guide to Watchmaking Tools - Page 3
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Getting Started: Guide to Watchmaking Tools

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: Getting Started: Guide to Watchmaking Tools

Quote Originally Posted by vbomega View Post
    Indeed. In fact, certain tools should be bought used, like a staking set and mainspring winders. The caveat is that you need certain watchmaking experience to be able to buy the right stuff in adequate condition.
    Abso-froggin'-lutely! A used tool in good condition that cost a lot less than a new one is a jewel. A used tool that cost a lot less than a new one but doesn't work is a turd. I own a couple of those, I'm ashamed to admit!

I just prefer to learn watchmaking with a basic set of quality tools. I don't think you would save much by buying used tools a la carte and paying separate shipping charges and deal with potential problems.
    You can find bargains, but you have to have sufficient knowledge to distinguish them from the dross. Good example is the used tweezers I bought. They came as a set of 8, all Swiss, mostly Dumont. There were 4 other lots at the same time, but I knew I wanted a good #5. I studied the pictures exhaustively, set up my snipe, and won. They are SO MUCH BETTER than the incredibly cheap ones I started with, but when I started I'd have had no idea how to choose the ones I wanted.

Screwdrivers - I've gotten good service out of a cheap set I bought, but only because I used to sharpen broadheads and hunting knives and had a feeling for stoning the tips. I would have greatly preferred to start out with AF Switzerlands, at the least.

The problem was, I was not sure I'd have any ability to do the work.

Now, looking back, I've been able to pick up a dozen or more nonrunning or barely running watches on Ebay for very cheap that I could put right. It would have been worth the expense to buy the best tools. But if I'd spent that much and turned out all thumbs? No!

Bottom line is as you recommend - get the best tools you can afford. And the lists you've compiled are excellent for that.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by GeneJockey View Post
    .. . . . . . . .... Bottom line is as you recommend - get the best tools you can afford. And the lists you've compiled are excellent for that.
    I agree with you.

Should this be a "sticky"?

p
    T_I likes this.
    Follow the Tour. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    I agree with you.

p
    Seconded!

EDIT: It would benefit from a bit of formatting, though. vbomega - the carriage return is your friend!
    Last edited by GeneJockey; May 24th, 2012 at 03:18.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

Hidden Content

I would make one small, niggling suggestion--Change the title to "Guide to Watch Repairer's Tools".

Then I would ask whether anyone thinks another thread would be worth starting over watchmaking tools? More specifically, I'd like to see one on lathes. I've been having grief fighting my old Moseley and am thinking about replacing it. The problem is I keep finding new lathe manufacturers that I haven't heard of before. And for some reason the Great Google has no clue when it comes to shopping suggestions about this subject. And de Carle and Goodrich's books are, dare I say, a bit dated.

about lathes you could certainly ask stefan pahlow he has his chanel on youtube though i dont know if he is a member here

you can coment him on youtube
    after i saw his equipment i was excited how can someone spend so much money on that pieces.

he does some restoration work on those videos and it is joy to see him work.

br
    emso
    nikon800 likes this.

Thanks emso!

I ran across his videos a while ago. I think I've watched most all of them. Er liebt seine Lorch.

I would like to share my experience as a newer hobbyist in regards to tools. First of all, the quality screwdrivers are absolutely essential. But on there is a cheaper option for the AF screwdrivers. On there ofrei website, there is a 5 screwdriver set for $28, including 0.6mm, 0.8, 1.0, 1.2, 1.4. This will have most of your needs met, and any other ones you need you may purchase individually.

I didn't wanna spend 25 dollars on a movement holder, and I was afraid that the metal would bark up the movement surface, so I purchased a holder with nylon pegs for 7 dollars on amazon. It was a nightmare to use. It would never hold it securely, it would always pop out or move, and it was a real pain working round the pegs. I just purchased the Bergeon 4040 movement holder for about 25 dollars, and it was money well spend. I love it! Please do get this movement holder. It will make your life easier.

T_I

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    I would say, yes it should. I'm glad I got the pointer to this thread, but making it a sticky would help lots of people.
    ... Time line?! This is no time to argue about time! We don't have the time.
    ... Time is a figment of your imagination, lunchtime doubly so

Kletsen over horloges in je moerstaal, kom eens naar Hidden Content Hidden Content

Unfortunately, I can't make it sticky. A forum moderator could.

Cool thread.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information