Getting Started: Guide to Watchmaking Tools - Page 5
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Getting Started: Guide to Watchmaking Tools

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: Getting Started: Guide to Watchmaking Tools

There are "battery changing kits" but in my estimation, (I have probably changed 10,000 batteries or more) you can do better buying separately what you need. You will get better quality that way also. If you are just doing your own batteries I suggest a good case back knife and a tool to remove screwbacks. Before you take off that back, however, use a brush, horsehair is traditional, to clean off the back so you don't introduce dirt to the inside. This is very important.
    Get a battery tester. Always test the battery when you remove it. Don't assume it is bad. If you do you will get confused when you install a new battery and it doesn't work. Consider a demagnetizer of some kind. The kind with a button that sends a pulse. Often a quartz movement will start if you can force the train to move momentarily. Gaskets, buy a variety or discover a source for individual ones. A grease cup and some silicon grease for the gaskets. A fine point felt tip pen to write the date of install on the inside of the caseback. You need a press to reinstall the casebacks, lots of variety there. Don't overlook vintage tools. They are often better quality and cheaper. There are other tools but for a personal toolkit I don't think they are necessary. It may be that paying a pro is cheaper depending on how many watches you own. Plus, the pro has one thing you won't find in a kit, experience.
    Last edited by dacattoo; December 11th, 2012 at 16:35.
    asingh1977 and YuriyV like this.

Yeah, I will see what arrives in the toolkit Ive bought. I'm going to concentrate on old autos. I've bought several nice old well running Seiko 5, 17 & 21 jewelers lately and want to learn how to get a non-working one, well, working, as I've also bought a couple of these in nice cosmetic condition but non running. I know this isn't going to be easy but I'll buy a job lot of old ones and practice stripping and rebuilding them first before attempting anything on a good watch. I hope I'll learn the basics of watch construction/operation from this and also how my tools will perform. If I need to buy (lots??) more then so be it. Just going to be a hobby and I'm prepared to spend as much time as necessary gaining confidence before attacking anything for real.... Thanks for all the advice though, much appreciated
    ACHiPo likes this.

I've been trying to find a non-video walk-through of a watch disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly. Anyone seen such a site?

Quote Originally Posted by halifax View Post
    I've been trying to find a non-video walk-through of a watch disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly. Anyone seen such a site?
    You can try this one. It's transitioned into a self help forum I think but it gives you a good background to a point where you can finish off yourself.

Cheers
    Jim

How to repair a Seiko 7S26 Automatic wrist watch
    Last edited by JimInOz; December 20th, 2012 at 20:37.
    Megalo Milo and Tomas472 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JimInOz View Post
    You can try this one. It's transitioned into a self help forum I think but it gives you a good background to a point where you can finish off yourself.

Cheers
    Jim

How to repair a Seiko 7S26 Automatic wrist watch
    Wow. I've been wanting to finally get into tinkering with movements and such but was overwhelmed with where to start. This is perfect.

VBOmega, may I ask where you purchased your 9-piece A&F screwdriver set for $72? I'm finding that's a realy good price. The lowest I've seen for the 5-piece set #18985 is $65 not including shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam650 View Post
    VBOmega, may I ask where you purchased your 9-piece A&F screwdriver set for $72? I'm finding that's a realy good price. The lowest I've seen for the 5-piece set #18985 is $65 not including shipping.
    I bought mine at Otto Frei, but it is cheaper at Esslinger.

I agree, it seems like Esslinger has very good prices. It doesn't look like they carry the A&F 9-piece set any more, but they do sell a 6-piece set in a wooden box for $74 which includes a .50. I also found a Burgeon 5-piece set from DRS Jewelry for $55 that has all the right sizes including a .50 which seems like a good deal. I probably end up buying this one. What do you think?
    6 pc Professional Mini Screwdriver Set Flat Head Blades in Wood Box

5 PIECE SCREWDRIVER SET - BERGEON

Quote Originally Posted by bambam650 View Post
    I agree, it seems like Esslinger has very good prices. It doesn't look like they carry the A&F 9-piece set any more, but they do sell a 6-piece set in a wooden box for $74 which includes a .50.

It's a good set if you only plan on working with wristwatch movements. For pocket watches you will need 1.60, and very rarely 2.0.
    It's a bit pricey for a 6-piece set. Check Otto Frei. Do you really need wooden case? Go to Otto Frei and search for SCR-980.00
    Last edited by vbomega; February 5th, 2013 at 18:58.

It's funny, when I googled this model number most of the sites that came up don't mention anything about who makes the set. Otto has this set listed under their french made screwdrivers. Star Time also says it's french made but on the photo they show the set is labeled A&F. Very confusing. Seems like the Burgeon swiss made 5-piece set from DRS is the best deal.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast