Getting watch back removal tool - Tips?

Thread: Getting watch back removal tool - Tips?

Getting watch back removal tool - Tips?

I just ordered a watch back removal tool so I can replace my own batteries. I understand a lot of watches have some sort of gasket seal, is it destroyed when removing a watch back? Or, if I'm careful, it can be retained and re-used?

Vulcain * "Nautique" my only non-chronograph - First Swiss watch/1967 * Seiko 5 * "Speed Timer" Automatic Chronograph - My first chronograph - Purchased on the Ginza in Tokyo/1969 * More modern Seiko Quartz Chronographs (7 of them) * Heuer * Model CS311 re-issue of 1963 Pre-TAG Carrera Chronograph * TAG Heuer * modern Carrera Chronograph * Wenger * Chronograph * Omega * Speedmaster 7751 Day/Date Chronograph * Baume & Mercier * Formula S Chronograph * Zenith * "El Primero" HW Chronograph * Mühle Glashütte * Nautische Chronograph * Sinn * 903ST “Navitimer” Chronograph * Techné * SparrowHawk II Calibre VK63 Chronograph * Alpina * Startimer Pilot Big-Date Chronograph * Zodiac * Sea Dragon Chronograph 104/1000 * Victorinox Swiss Army "Infantry Vintage" Auto Chronograph * Seiko * SNDD93P1 Chronograph

Re: Getting watch back removal tool - Tips?

The main thing to worry about when popping open a quartz watch is slipping when the back pops off and nicking the copper coil. If you do that the movement is toast. I change a lot of batteries and am always wary of this happening but in 15 years I have nicked two. Both ladies watches with tiny movements and tight backs. Taking the extra step of removing the band from the 12 o'clock side and prying from that end is about the most that can be done. Usually the coil is at the 9 o'clock position but not always. A supply of gaskets and some silicone grease is needed to maintain gasket integrity. Usually the gaskets are okay but some will just be worn out and occasionally cut from your pry blade. I like to use office adhesive putty (just like Rodico a commercial watch product costing much more) to clean up any loose skin particles which could contaminate the movement. Brush around the back before prying and then take the adhesive putty and wipe any dust away. After opening be sure to take the putty to absorb any tiny loose dust particles that may have fallen into the case. Blowing on them may lodge them inside the gears.
    Last edited by James Roettger; March 3rd, 2012 at 05:10.

It pays to watch the Youtube watch DIY short program demonstrating how it's done properly in order to maintain waterproofing effectiveness. Not only replacing gasket or new one for that matter but also use the press tool to put the back cover in position.

I won't be using a blade, I'm getting a tool like this:
    Name:  jaxa.jpg
Views: 2095
Size:  11.8 KB

Isn't a twist action tool? Most of my quartz watches require this kind of tool.

you will need some silicone grease for the gaskets.
    I'm a watchbreaker not a watchmaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelly View Post
    I won't be using a blade, I'm getting a tool like this:
    Name:  jaxa.jpg
Views: 2095
Size:  11.8 KB

Isn't a twist action tool? Most of my quartz watches require this kind of tool.
    Pay the extra $$ and get the LG branded case tool from Ofrei....worth it.

Thread Information