Thread: Grease for watch bezel

Grease for watch bezel

I need to put grease on a recently cleaned up watch. I know regular oil/grease will wreck any seals.

I believe i need silicone grease, but im not sure if thats correct, and i also need to knwo where i can purchase the correct grease online. can anyone offer advice?

Re: Grease for watch bezel

Silicone is fine but more is not better. As little as necessary as it can act like a "dirt magnet"

This worked easily for me after three hours of working[to no avail] on two watches after battery replacement. Check for burrs[caused by removing the back] on the rim of the watch base.

There was a burr[metal tag]on one rim which I carefully removed with a small screw driver,which I had used to take the back of.

Put a thin film of grease[very thin] on the rim of the base.
    The watch base was face down on a piece of cloth on a hard surface[a table].
    I placed the back on the watch base,lining up a small incision in the rim with the winding mechanism,and pressed it in[doesn't snap in].
    I used a socket,from a socket-set,which was just smaller than the diameter of the watch back,and joined it into the short socket-set extension.
    Making sure the incision was lined up with the winding mechanism,I placed the socket, with the attached extension,evenly over the watch back,and pressed down on the back,using the short extension as a handle to easily apply pressure[not a lot].
    I applied greater pressure where the back was not 'in'.
    It went in very sweetly and easily both times.
    Some have a back which have a thread so they screw on.

I believe he was talking about a bezel not the back. I would suggest you eliminate the cloth as you want to distribute the pressure on the crystal evenly. The cloth may make some spots on the crystal "more pressurized" than others and then you are looking at breaking it.

Thread Information