Help with info on watchmaster ultrasonic cleaner WT - Page 10
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Help with info on watchmaster ultrasonic cleaner WT

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: Help with info on watchmaster ultrasonic cleaner WT

Thank you for the helpful suggestions! I found some time to play with it this evening. Turning the brass screw clockwise/counter enabled me to find a sweet spot for maximum vibration. If I held the light just right, I could see a very slight wave pattern on the surface and a few bubbles generated at the bottom. Hopefully it will improve after things are cleaned and parts updated.

I also pulled the tubes to look at the pins -- they looked remarkably clean, like brand-new clean. Using my voltmeter, only two pins showed continuity. I think this result is expected based what I've found online. Without access to a tube tester, I'm not sure what else I can do to test them further.

Per your suggestion, I also made progress in bending the drying cup back and decreasing the wobble. I'll try again next week, but am confident it will eventually be useable at max speed.

Work will be getting in the way for the next 5 days, but after that I should have time to invest in the project. Thank you again!

NP hr8799

I posted the WT manual and includes the schematic for the WT. it's circuit for the base is the same for all of A1-T, WT and WT Mark II with the exception of Mark II having different heater/dryer. I have not taped into re-doing that part just yet.

Following Nauz' lead, I found a local cerakote finishing service (cerakotetucson). I'm on a budget, so I went with the closest color they were working with that day -- a sort of aqua / teal. The fellow at cerakotetucson was very helpful and I couldn't be happier with result. Obviously it is not a match to the original light blue, but this is for personal use and not a museum :)

Photo attached of just the shell. I'll be replacing the caps and resistors over the next week or so.
    Name:  IMG_2619.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  94.4 KB
    nauz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hr8799 View Post
    Following Nauz' lead, I found a local cerakote finishing service (cerakotetucson). I'm on a budget, so I went with the closest color they were working with that day -- a sort of aqua / teal. The fellow at cerakotetucson was very helpful and I couldn't be happier with result. Obviously it is not a match to the original light blue, but this is for personal use and not a museum :)

Photo attached of just the shell. I'll be replacing the caps and resistors over the next week or so.
    Name:  IMG_2619.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  94.4 KB
    Looks like their "Robin's egg blue" which is what most people use for a Tiffany custom. Looks real nice and the website says light teal blue. Did they hook you up on price? I've gotta do a few mark II's and haven't decided what color to chose yet. Can't wait to see how your project comes out.

Chris

OK, I made my first mistake :) There are 4 bar magnets, two on either side of the coils that surround the cleaning cup shafts. I figured polarity matters and set them aside in the original orientation (I was cleaning up a bunch of goop that had solidified around there). Then, like a clumsy fool, I knocked them over. However, as I was picking them up, I noticed they are marked with a dab of yellow paint on the edge of one end. Presumably this is so the proper orientation can be maintained during assembly? If I had seen those markings earlier I would be in much better shape (several were so covered in dried crude it was pretty hard to see).

So, do you know which way the yellow-marked ends go? There are obviously a limited number of possibilities ... but trial and error may be annoying. Ha ... projects ... learn something new every time!

OK, I made my first mistake :) There are 4 bar magnets, two on either side of the coils that surround the cleaning cup shafts. I figured polarity matters and set them aside in the original orientation (I was cleaning up a bunch of goop that had solidified around there). Then, like a clumsy fool, I knocked them over. However, as I was picking them up, I noticed they are marked with a dab of yellow paint on the edge of one end. Presumably this is so the proper orientation can be maintained during assembly? If I had seen those markings earlier I would be in much better shape (several were so covered in dried crude it was pretty hard to see).

So, do you know which way the yellow-marked ends go? There are obviously a limited number of possibilities ... but trial and error may be annoying. Ha ... projects ... learn something new every time!
    I think my magnets had an x on the ends facing up.

OK, I made my first mistake :) There are 4 bar magnets, two on either side of the coils that....
    I always forget to tell people to take lots of photos.

OK, after several weeks and a lot of help from nauz (thank you!), the watchmaster is up and running with new finish, resistors, capacitors and tubes.

I have uploaded a video to youtube of the machine in action. I still have some work to do on the spinning dryer canister (will likely need to replace the motor it attaches to). Other than that, and a few finishing touches here and there, I think it is ready for a some watch parts. I will hopefully try it out this weekend.

OK, apparently my post-count is too low to post a direct link to the video. So, if you want to see the short (~ 1min) video of the machine running, do a google search for
    "youtube Watchmaster Mark II resurrection" (mute audio, enter full screen and up your screen brightness).

OK, after several weeks and a lot of help from nauz (thank you!), the watchmaster is up and running with new finish, resistors, capacitors and tubes.

I have uploaded a video to youtube of the machine in action. I still have some work to do on the spinning dryer canister (will likely need to replace the motor it attaches to). Other than that, and a few finishing touches here and there, I think it is ready for a some watch parts. I will hopefully try it out this weekend.

OK, apparently my post-count is too low to post a direct link to the video. So, if you want to see the short (~ 1min) video of the machine running, do a google search for
    "youtube Watchmaster Mark II resurrection" (mute audio, enter full screen and up your screen brightness).
    How you gonna get the white speed indicator markings on the heater/dryer? I have some ideas if you don't have any.

Excellent question. I'm not sure yet. I've looked at some transparent sticky film that could (using photoshop) be printed with the markings in white. There are a few products online that look possible, but most have mixed reviews. I'm also skeptical about their durability ... but I could put an extra layer of something like clear packing tape over it for added protection. In the end, I felt like these kinds of options could ended up looking like crap after a month (or less!) of use, so I haven't tried it. But I guess I could just print a hundred and replace it as needed!

Look forward to seeing the solution you come up with.

How about the numbering on the stainless plate in the front? Will you repaint with black or leave all stainless?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information