Help with info on watchmaster ultrasonic cleaner WT - Page 2
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Help with info on watchmaster ultrasonic cleaner WT

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 88
  1. #11
    Member nauz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    188

    Re: Help with info on watchmaster ultrasonic cleaner WT

    Would anyone happen to know anything about what I believe is the linear variable transducer on the back of the tube sockets that people adjust for faster or slower cleaners? I know it's suppose to adjust the frequency for the transducers that the cups sit in and vibrate the core of the cups and is suppose to be set at 32khz.

    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438012046.819565.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  82.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438012060.115421.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  219.4 KB


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Gloucestershire, UK
    Posts
    854

    Re: Help with info on watchmaster ultrasonic cleaner WT

    Without stating the obvious, it just looks like a variable inductor. Can't quite see from the circuit diagram, but I would imagine it sits in the feedback loop between the grid and the anode. Is it adjustable from the outside of the unit then? I mean user adjustable rather than trimmed so the oscillator runs at 32khz?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  3. #13
    Member nauz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    188

    Re: Help with info on watchmaster ultrasonic cleaner WT

    Quote Originally Posted by Snakepottery View Post
    Without stating the obvious, it just looks like a variable inductor. Can't quite see from the circuit diagram, but I would imagine it sits in the feedback loop between the grid and the anode. Is it adjustable from the outside of the unit then? I mean user adjustable rather than trimmed so the oscillator runs at 32khz?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    No not adjustable from the outside, the unit has to remove cover and the heater in order to get to it. I'm still looking into it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Gloucestershire, UK
    Posts
    854

    Re: Help with info on watchmaster ultrasonic cleaner WT

    Do you have a picture of the full circuit diagram?
    Must just be to trim the oscillator to 32kHz. No Quartz PLL oscillators in those days!!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  5. #15
    Member nauz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    188

    Re: Help with info on watchmaster ultrasonic cleaner WT

    Quote Originally Posted by Snakepottery View Post
    Do you have a picture of the full circuit diagram?
    Must just be to trim the oscillator to 32kHz. No Quartz PLL oscillators in those days!!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Sure do thanks for the help snakepottery

    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438103486.122451.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  107.1 KB

    If the image isn't good let me know I can post another.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Gloucestershire, UK
    Posts
    854

    Re: Help with info on watchmaster ultrasonic cleaner WT

    Thanks, that's interesting. Need to have a think about it, curious as there us no rectification. Clearly the two valves are working in parallel with the anodes feeding L1 and L 2 which I guess must be the ultrasonic transducers.
    The inductor you originally asked about is to trim the frequency and works in conjunction with the capacitor in parallel.
    You probably have worked it out anyway, or I'm completely wrong in how it works!
    What are your thoughts in its operation?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  7. #17
    Member nauz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    188

    Re: Help with info on watchmaster ultrasonic cleaner WT

    Quote Originally Posted by Snakepottery View Post
    Thanks, that's interesting. Need to have a think about it, curious as there us no rectification. Clearly the two valves are working in parallel with the anodes feeding L1 and L 2 which I guess must be the ultrasonic transducers.
    The inductor you originally asked about is to trim the frequency and works in conjunction with the capacitor in parallel.
    You probably have worked it out anyway, or I'm completely wrong in how it works!
    What are your thoughts in its operation?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Yes you are correct the anodes feeding L1 and L2 and your correct is the transducer. Also you are right about the inductor trimming the frequency. The only thing not replaced in this unit with modern components is, inductor, rotary switch (cleaned) and motor on the circuit. I do not have the heater circuit attached at all. It runs for awhile on a low frequency but at a higher frequency the tubes start to flicker and blows the fuse. Is there a modern inductor I could replace for this its got some noticeable age?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Gloucestershire, UK
    Posts
    854

    Re: Help with info on watchmaster ultrasonic cleaner WT

    You won't be able to find a replacement variable inductor (you would need to know the inductance range and current rating) also I doubt there is anything wrong with it as the oscillator runs as you say.
    Now, you say the switch changes from high to low frequency. I can't see that myself, as the frequency is fixed. The switch selects either L1 or L2 via the relay, K1. I guess one is high power and the other is low?
    So at low power it works, but as you select high, the current flow increases too high and causes the valves to cook. (I presume you have replaced the valves).

    It focus your attention on the transducers. If you have an ammeter, you could measure the current flow in both switch positions. Maybe the high power section of the transducer has a fault. Maybe a shorted winding?
    Not sure where you go from there however. Maybe get it rewound? If the assembly is able to be dismantled that is.
    Let me know how you get on.
    Andy


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  9. #19
    Member nauz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    188

    Help with info on watchmaster ultrasonic cleaner WT

    Quote Originally Posted by Snakepottery View Post
    You won't be able to find a replacement variable inductor (you would need to know the inductance range and current rating) also I doubt there is anything wrong with it as the oscillator runs as you say.
    Now, you say the switch changes from high to low frequency. I can't see that myself, as the frequency is fixed. The switch selects either L1 or L2 via the relay, K1. I guess one is high power and the other is low?
    So at low power it works, but as you select high, the current flow increases too high and causes the valves to cook. (I presume you have replaced the valves).

    It focus your attention on the transducers. If you have an ammeter, you could measure the current flow in both switch positions. Maybe the high power section of the transducer has a fault. Maybe a shorted winding?
    Not sure where you go from there however. Maybe get it rewound? If the assembly is able to be dismantled that is.
    Let me know how you get on.
    Andy


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    No there isn't a high or low going through a relay, I believe the variable inductor is used to change the frequency value. The tubes have been replaced, what I was saying is at a lower frequency I don't see any flickering and fuse blown that soon as a higher frequency would. The transducers have brand new wounds and same amount of turns. The assembly was in bad condition so I had it re painted and lacquered just like the transducers. The core of the variable inductor has a small chip on the end of it and it does look it's age. To be honest I'm a bit lost at the moment. The only things not changed out would be the variable inductor, the rotary switch (for selecting between L1 & L2), interlock switch (what is it when the cups are in the transducers and the timer. I'll eventually get it, just gotta give it time.

    Thanks
    Chris


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nauz; July 29th, 2015 at 22:29.

  10. #20
    Member nauz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    188

    Re: Help with info on watchmaster ultrasonic cleaner WT

    So just an update,

    Replaced the tube sockets and the machine is running 100% better. I tried to clean them up before with a bit of a fine grit on the inside of the female socket where the pins go into. There was loads of carbon build up and the contacts where so loose. So I ended up just replacing them all together with new ones. Will be posting some finished work after I complete the heater attachment. I've got new resistors so I need to figure out a way to mount them to the chassis, to replace the cooked ones.

    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440645556.381530.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  313.5 KB


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ultrasonic Cleaner problem
    By mreke in forum Watchmaking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: March 25th, 2014, 18:52
  2. Ultrasonic cleaner
    By Borg51 in forum Seiko & Citizen
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: March 9th, 2013, 04:32
  3. Ultrasonic cleaner UK only
    By AndyC in forum Public Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 15th, 2009, 14:48
  4. Ultrasonic cleaner questions.....
    By SMITTY in forum Watchmaking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 8th, 2008, 13:45

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •