Help with info on watchmaster ultrasonic cleaner WT - Page 8
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Help with info on watchmaster ultrasonic cleaner WT

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: Help with info on watchmaster ultrasonic cleaner WT

I really enjoyed this thread nauz. I use the watchmaster myself and am constantly scouring online sources and meet-ups for spares and parts. I think I have 3 complete units sitting on the shelf waiting to be called into service but my main WT just will not quit. I have used several brands and styles of cleaners but IMHO these are the best of all.

I regularly clean and spray the dryer cup bushing with silicone but am always worried that the bushing will wear out and I will have a hard time replacing it. Any ideas on that topic?

Quote Originally Posted by Watchugeek View Post
    I really enjoyed this thread nauz. I use the watchmaster myself and am constantly scouring online sources and meet-ups for spares and parts. I think I have 3 complete units sitting on the shelf waiting to be called into service but my main WT just will not quit. I have used several brands and styles of cleaners but IMHO these are the best of all.

I regularly clean and spray the dryer cup bushing with silicone but am always worried that the bushing will wear out and I will have a hard time replacing it. Any ideas on that topic?
    Hey watchugeek,

Glad you like my thread. Currently I'm using the silicone grease for that assembly. The only thing I'm worried about is the plastic piece the fan fits around. I have some ideas in mind but I've heard of one other person just making a new plastic cylinder piece witch only protects the fan. The rod that is inserted in the fan assembly over time I'm sure the inner diameter gets worn because of friction (metal/metal) that's why we use jewels in watches. What drives the cup is the rubber O ring on the motor that also connects the fan under the cup. First thing I would look into is maybe converting to ball bearing. That would take some time for me to see what size I'd need to get for the design then what size for the fan. Essentially both having their own ball bearings. My cup has a wobble because the wear on the inside the cups bar sits into is worn. If my design won't work with ball bearing I'd need to see what other options I have.

Ball bearings are a great idea. I know that Butterworth Clocks makes very small clock bushings with ball bearings for some models of grandfather clocks which one might be able to modify to that purpose. Butterworth Clocks, Inc. | Clock Repair Password is butterworth/butterworth (some silly attempt to foil web bots lol)

I hope your thread gets stickied as it is invaluable.

Ball bearings are a great idea. I know that Butterworth Clocks makes very small clock bushings with ball bearings for some models of grandfather clocks which one might be able to modify to that purpose. Butterworth Clocks, Inc. | Clock Repair Password is butterworth/butterworth (some silly attempt to foil web bots lol)

Ah man that's good stuff, let me give this further thought. If I can get my pc working this week I could possibly design something after I get my dimensions of the heater assembly with applying the small clock bushings supplied by butterworth.

It would be nice to have it as a sticky. When someone quotes me in this thread it usually gives me a pop up on my iPhone app. I'll try to help anyone on this machine.

Ps The mark II has the heater cup as well but the assembly is different.

I'm having issues with my pc at the moment so it might be delayed a bit.

Help with info on watchmaster ultrasonic cleaner WT

While my pc isn't working atm to help watchugeek my basket turned to hell and was coming all undone. This was noticed when I got the machine but I tried to make it last as long as I could. But photos tell a lot more info.

Then I got my self some stainless steel mesh around same specs as the old mesh bottom.

I placed it over the top and used a permanent marker to get my circle. Then cut it out with some snips. Get some sharp ones because my snips was dull.

Eventually I'll get a spot welder to weld the ends like the old setup. But for now this works perfect.

Chris
    Last edited by nauz; March 4th, 2016 at 03:57. Reason: Spelling errors

Very nice repair Chris.

What do you think tore up the bottom of the basket? In all of my days I have never seen anything like that.

Very nice repair Chris.

What do you think tore up the bottom of the basket? In all of my days I have never seen anything like that.
    When I originally bought it, the mesh wasn't fastened well on the ends. What you see in the picture is after I started removing them. I didn't take a photo of it before I started unfortunately. The welds that where still there where perfect. My guess is the machine or person who was spot welding didn't hit the ends in good locations. Over time they get warped out of location then back in normal position and eventually so loose I could pull out a few strands with no issues. But what I have installed is the stainless steel mesh and I'll get a little dental spot welder or something to complete that project. Also I'm still working on my pc to work on an idea for you with the heater seat.

Chris

Very nice repair Chris.

Hey watchugeek how close to original do you want the assembly? Because I've got another idea in mind but it involves removing the motor that drives that fan and cup. Replacing the assembly that holds the fan/cup then putting in a more efficient motor right where that assembly is. I'm kinda getting at an idea similar to the mark II design.

Basically with mounting the fan/cup on top of the motor you'll be eliminating a spring,the need of a rubber o ring and the assembly to hold that fan/cup. Making it all one piece. You could easily modify the bottom of the cup to specific length then notch it out.

For the fan part you can turn a piece of stainless to the dimensions. Drill a hole for the stopper bar of the cup. Then center drill your hole for that cup and motor bar. On the end where it sits on the motor you use a bandsaw your end to give you the prongs that will eventually be tighten with a little clamp.

Still a great thread nauz.

Sent you a PM...
    nauz likes this.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information