How freely should automatic rotor turn?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Michael Maddan
  • 1 Post By Valle de Joux
  • 1 Post By jcoffin1981

Thread: How freely should automatic rotor turn?

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Member samanderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    592

    How freely should automatic rotor turn?

    The automatic rotor on the SW-200 in my Oris Aquas was not turning very much. It meant that it would often stop overnight as it was not winding the watch enough. The rotor would sit still even when it was held at a 45-80 degrees angle.

    Today I took the back off and applied three small drops of Moebius 9010 to the bearings on the rotor. This has freed it up somewhat. If I rotate the watch in my hand the rotor turns full circle with the rotation. If I give it a good flick of the wrist I can get a 180 degree or even up to 360 degree turn out of the rotor.

    This, however, is far less free than the movements in my Union Glashütte Noramis, or my Certina which both move quite freely. But I'm not sure what to expect. I once had a Hamilton Pilot that had a 7750 in it and that baby swung like a beast. With a little flick of the wrist you could really hear and feel the rotor fly!

    How much rotation should I expect? Any ideas what could be causing this more 'sticky' movement? Do I need to take the rotor assembly off and lubricate the pinions in the automatic gear train?

    Any help would be much appreciated!
    Casio Calculator ($8 gift and I love it!) l Certina DS-1 Titanium Blue | Meistersinger No. 02 | Omega Speedmaster Professional 145.022 78 ST (self-modified) | Oris Aquis Date Black | Sandoz MilSub Mod | Seagull 1963 reissue | Union Glashütte Noramis Big Date

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    607

    Re: How freely should automatic rotor turn?

    Hello! It sounds to me as if your Oris is calling out for a good Service. I assume that you know of a good independent shop near you...it's always a good idea to know when a watch was serviced ( you'll know when next it's needed ), and even watches that are rather new, sometimes simply need a going-through. Your SW-200 is a well-known Caliber, and should give fine results after it's tune-up! Michael.
    Molliedooker likes this.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    936

    Re: How freely should automatic rotor turn?

    Quote Originally Posted by samanderson View Post
    The automatic rotor on the SW-200 in my Oris Aquas was not turning very much. It meant that it would often stop overnight as it was not winding the watch enough. The rotor would sit still even when it was held at a 45-80 degrees angle.

    Today I took the back off and applied three small drops of Moebius 9010 to the bearings on the rotor. This has freed it up somewhat. If I rotate the watch in my hand the rotor turns full circle with the rotation. If I give it a good flick of the wrist I can get a 180 degree or even up to 360 degree turn out of the rotor.

    This, however, is far less free than the movements in my Union Glashütte Noramis, or my Certina which both move quite freely. But I'm not sure what to expect. I once had a Hamilton Pilot that had a 7750 in it and that baby swung like a beast. With a little flick of the wrist you could really hear and feel the rotor fly!

    How much rotation should I expect? Any ideas what could be causing this more 'sticky' movement? Do I need to take the rotor assembly off and lubricate the pinions in the automatic gear train?

    Any help would be much appreciated!
    well of course the 7750 rotor will turn better, especially if it rotates in the direction in which it does not wind.
    regarding the 2824 i cannot say without testing it no a winding machine.

    go to a watchmaker and ask him to test it for power reserve. he will wind it on a winding machine and test it afterwards for how much time it will work.

    thats the only way to test a watch for a good or not good winding.

    br
    emso
    p.s if you have an automatic watch winding machine its even easier as you dont have to go to a watchmaker
    Experience on watch movements repair:

    modern swiss movements: 5
    japan movements: 3
    older movements: 2
    chinese movements: 0


    According to above experience grades(smallest 0-5 highest) my advice can be incorect or completely out of mind, so beware and take my advices with caution if the grade is low!!!
    Hidden Content
    NOT FOR SALE !!!

  4. #4
    Member samanderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    592

    Re: How freely should automatic rotor turn?

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Maddan View Post
    Hello! It sounds to me as if your Oris is calling out for a good Service. I assume that you know of a good independent shop near you...and even watches that are rather new, sometimes simply need a going-through. Your SW-200 is a well-known Caliber, and should give fine results after it's tune-up! Michael.
    Thanks. We are pretty deprived down here in New Zealand. It is only 20 months old. I've adjusted it myself and it's lost 2 seconds in the past 3 days, which I'm happy with. It also seems to be winding much better. Three days in, and it's not wound down on me yet. I'm gonna keep wearing it each day for about 8 hours and seeing if/when it eventually winds down. Hopefully it won't now that I've oiled the rotor bearings.

    Quote Originally Posted by emso View Post
    well of course the 7750 rotor will turn better, especially if it rotates in the direction in which it does not wind.
    Thanks, I didn't know that. That explains why it flew around so freely!
    Casio Calculator ($8 gift and I love it!) l Certina DS-1 Titanium Blue | Meistersinger No. 02 | Omega Speedmaster Professional 145.022 78 ST (self-modified) | Oris Aquis Date Black | Sandoz MilSub Mod | Seagull 1963 reissue | Union Glashütte Noramis Big Date

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    111

    Re: How freely should automatic rotor turn?

    Sounds like your 'quick fix' worked..... Congrats! In my own experience, even something as simple as over tightening of the caseback can cause an issue like you described.
    samanderson likes this.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    601

    Re: How freely should automatic rotor turn?

    The rotor has to move the various wheels in the auto assembly and the ratchet wheel and overcome the resistance of the mainspring, so it's not gonna fly like a dreidel or something. Modern synthetics don't break down in 20 months, but the fact that it was not spinning as freely as it should is a little bothersome. Wouldn't hurt to have a watchmaker take a look see to make sure there is no unnecessary wear happening and avoid a costly repair.
    samanderson likes this.

  7. #7
    Member samanderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    592

    Re: How freely should automatic rotor turn?

    Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin1981 View Post
    so it's not gonna fly like a dreidel or something
    Haha, I had to look up what a dreidel is. We don't have many Jews in New Zealand with only 0.15% of the population identifying as Jewish.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin1981 View Post
    Modern synthetics don't break down in 20 months, but the fact that it was not spinning as freely as it should is a little bothersome. Wouldn't hurt to have a watchmaker take a look see to make sure there is no unnecessary wear happening and avoid a costly repair.
    Yes, it does concern me too. I consider my 'solution' to be temporary and will need to have it looked at at some point in the near future. Cheers.
    Last edited by samanderson; 2 Weeks Ago at 00:30.
    Casio Calculator ($8 gift and I love it!) l Certina DS-1 Titanium Blue | Meistersinger No. 02 | Omega Speedmaster Professional 145.022 78 ST (self-modified) | Oris Aquis Date Black | Sandoz MilSub Mod | Seagull 1963 reissue | Union Glashütte Noramis Big Date

  8. #8
    Member samanderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    592

    Re: How freely should automatic rotor turn?

    A little update:

    Still going strong after almost 5 days, and still only lost 2 seconds overall.

    Amplitude: after wearing all day yesterday, the amplitude was 307 degrees when I took it off last night. This morning, after sitting unworn for 12 hours, had dropped to 287 degrees. The same pattern occurred the day before. I interpret this to mean that it is lower in the morning as the mainspring unwinds, and then it increases by the end of the day as the mainspring is being wound, indicating that the automatic rotor is doing its work.

    Is this a reasonable conclusion?
    Casio Calculator ($8 gift and I love it!) l Certina DS-1 Titanium Blue | Meistersinger No. 02 | Omega Speedmaster Professional 145.022 78 ST (self-modified) | Oris Aquis Date Black | Sandoz MilSub Mod | Seagull 1963 reissue | Union Glashütte Noramis Big Date

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    601

    Re: How freely should automatic rotor turn?

    Yes quite logical. Even 287 degrees is great. I don't think I've ever broken this (except when someone installed the wrong mainspring). But most of my wristwatches are older than my parents.

    It's just curious what you described. From what I understand this is a good in-house movement. May be covered under warranty but it also may be in perfect working order now.

  10. #10
    Member samanderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    592

    Re: How freely should automatic rotor turn?

    Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin1981 View Post
    Yes quite logical. Even 287 degrees is great.
    Thanks for that. And I'm glad that the amplitude is considered to be good.


    Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin1981 View Post
    From what I understand this is a good in-house movement. May be covered under warranty but it also may be in perfect working order now.
    I bought it off this forum, and thought it was covered by Oris' warranty cause it is under two years old. I contacted Oris but it turns out it was bought from a grey-market bricks and mortar and therefore the warranty does not apply.
    Casio Calculator ($8 gift and I love it!) l Certina DS-1 Titanium Blue | Meistersinger No. 02 | Omega Speedmaster Professional 145.022 78 ST (self-modified) | Oris Aquis Date Black | Sandoz MilSub Mod | Seagull 1963 reissue | Union Glashütte Noramis Big Date

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. SKX007/SKX009 - rotor not rotating freely
      By babyatom in forum Watchmaking
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: May 17th, 2017, 21:13
    2. SNKK71 rotor not rotating as freely as it should
      By -hj- in forum Seiko & Citizen
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: August 16th, 2016, 03:44
    3. ETA 2824 rotor spin freely on some, and tight on others
      By WatchChuck in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: July 14th, 2014, 18:49
    4. Replies: 3
      Last Post: November 7th, 2011, 14:10
    5. 1 rotor turn = 1 turn of the crown?
      By StephenD in forum Watchmaking
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: June 25th, 2010, 02:38

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •