How to make a watch dial?

Thread: How to make a watch dial?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to make a watch dial?

Hi All

I was trying to dig up some info on how to make a watch dial.. or was there someone/a company that makes them? I found a couple DIYs that use silkscreen... but don't want to take on that much. (I actually have an old screen somewhere, but the chemicals I used when I was printing were insanely toxic)... Has anyone here made there own?

on another note... next step

I'd like to take an old watch that I have and make cosmetic modifications... not unlike what I've seen with monster mods (changing the dial and hands)... Is this a 'basic' process... or does it require something like a watch making course to do?

Thanks!

Re: How to make a watch dial?

nt
    Last edited by skoochy; November 24th, 2009 at 10:31.

Thanks for the break-down Skoochy! I just found the post on pmwf that walks you through how to take the case, movement, dial and hands apart... i think this is something i might just be able to manage! making a dial that looks good is another thing...!

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by towrist View Post
    Thanks for the break-down Skoochy! I just found the post on pmwf that walks you through how to take the case, movement, dial and hands apart... i think this is something i might just be able to manage! making a dial that looks good is another thing...!
    Do you have that link?
    I'm interested in dial making also.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by towrist View Post
    :thanks

Misterpeter

I believe you can purchase "stock blank" dials from Ofrei. Not sure of the sizes or dial feet position. I think you can get them for the more popular quartz movements with dial feet position near 12 and 42. One thought is to use home made decals kits that can be found in hobby shops. You can create your design digitally and print it on water decal stock or possibly dry transfer material. The only problem would be printing white opaque graphics. You could use a white dial for this and then paint lume where needed. You could simply print on card stock or some other material that could be simply glued to a blank dial. Modern color laser printers do a nice job on high gloss photo paper. Just not sure how long a printed dial would last. May fade over time.

not quite what i was thinking when i said making a watch dial!!!!! lol!! thats amazing!! thanks for sharing that one... it really makes me admire the craftsmanship and creativity in building watches even more... absolutely beautiful!

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Misterpeter View Post

thanks for those suggestions... i was browsing ofrei and trying to figure out if any of them would work...

Quote Originally Posted by bmwfreak View Post
    I believe you can purchase "stock blank" dials from Ofrei. Not sure of the sizes or dial feet position. I think you can get them for the more popular quartz movements with dial feet position near 12 and 42. One thought is to use home made decals kits that can be found in hobby shops. You can create your design digitally and print it on water decal stock or possibly dry transfer material. The only problem would be printing white opaque graphics. You could use a white dial for this and then paint lume where needed. You could simply print on card stock or some other material that could be simply glued to a blank dial. Modern color laser printers do a nice job on high gloss photo paper. Just not sure how long a printed dial would last. May fade over time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information